By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Resident Evil 5 Hidden Message for Xbox.com - Something happening 1-30-09

mrstickball said:

ymeaga - One should note the anti-DLC comments are only coming from PS3 owners...

Maybe the way I look at it is a little different:

What if the DLC would have never made it to market had MS not stepped in and secured it for their console? As we've seen as of late, multi-plat is the only way to go, as securing an entire game would cost just too much.

Yet despite that, DLC remains a very affordable option for developers. DLC costs about 1/10th of the standalone game - even for a comparable set of time that can be afforded to the gamer with the DLC. So why would it *not* be in Microsoft's interest to pay the developers to make more of a good game?

Microsoft isn't looking 'hey, how can we screw Sony fans over', which is the way some of the anti-DLC Sonyfan comments are, but MS is more thinking along the lines of 'how can we secure a better experience for our fans'.

May I remind you that Sony could (and does) do the same thing for the year-old ports. I know some are arguing 'b-b-ut they're needed to stay competitive!' and I say 'no, no they're not'. They aren't needed. A year-old port could just be churned out as a budget port (say, $30-40) like many games last gen were. Resident Evil 4 was that way for the PS2.

In the end, Sony could do what MS is doing, and funding unique content for a given big game. MS, I doubt, is preventing content that's already being made to themselves - rather incentivizing the developer to make it in the first place, and for the 360.

And again, why not? If paying for DLC costs 1/10th of securing an exclusive, changes are, you'll get more for your money in the end.

Each and every time that people defend a console, someone answers "it's just a company, they're out to get money, nothing more". 

Yet, you are now stating that MS is doing this to create "a better experience for our fans"?  LOL.  They are doing this to get more cash into their own pockets, even if it means spending a bit more to get it.  Doing it for their fans?  Pft.  Those fans are the ones paying the money.  What would help to get those fans to spend their money?  Maybe DLC, okay, let's do that and get some more money out of their pocket.

It's some cute, cuddly intervention on MS' part to give their fans a better experience....unless their fans are willing to fork over their money.

Same goes for Sony and exclusive content for multiplats (yay for stupid time trials in Mirror's Edge).

Around the Network
papflesje said:

Each and every time that people defend a console, someone answers "it's just a company, they're out to get money, nothing more". 

Yet, you are now stating that MS is doing this to create "a better experience for our fans"?  LOL.  They are doing this to get more cash into their own pockets, even if it means spending a bit more to get it.  Doing it for their fans?  Pft.  Those fans are the ones paying the money.  What would help to get those fans to spend their money?  Maybe DLC, okay, let's do that and get some more money out of their pocket.

It's some cute, cuddly intervention on MS' part to give their fans a better experience....unless their fans are willing to fork over their money.

Same goes for Sony and exclusive content for multiplats (yay for stupid time trials in Mirror's Edge).

I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to argue. I keep rereading the bolded part and am clueless as to what you're trying to say. It sounds like you're trying to paint MS as a money hog and they're only funding DLC because they want to make more money. While conveniently forgetting that customers aren't forced to buy the DLC, they only buy it if they want to.

There is a correlation between people spending money on xbox products and MS "giving a better experience for our fans" (in the form of DLC). People aren't going to buy the DLC UNLESS they feel it makes the gaming experience better for them. We're xbox owners, not apple fanatics. And really, who gives a shit. If I love a game and exclusive DLC is released for it, EVEN FUCKING BETTER FOR ME! I'm supposed to be mad at MS for trying to make money by offering EXTRA gameplay long after the game has been released? If I don't care much for the game, I don't have to buy the DLC and I'm still a happy camper.

Phoenix_Wiight said:
Thechalkblock said:
I really hope my RE5 experience will not be hampered by the system I buy it on...

ya, its getting really sad at this point. 360 getting bonus content for multiplat games is, IMO, just plain stupid.

its not like the companies are making more money if they sell more 360 copies than PS3 copies. in reality, they're losing money cause thats less people to sell the DLC to.

maybe M$ is paying them off :o

Ya think?

Hammer-of-Dawn said:
hopefully 360 version gets exclusive content......we dont want PS3 copies being sold now do we?

This is sad if this is not sarcasm...

I bet there will be XBox 360 exclusive DLC content for RE5 just like every other game.

Around the Network
indodude said:
Hammer-of-Dawn said:
hopefully 360 version gets exclusive content......we dont want PS3 copies being sold now do we?

Why cuz you have a PS3? Sorry man, sometimes you just end up betting on the wrong horse. 

ymeaga1n said:
indodude said:
Hammer-of-Dawn said:

Why cuz you have a PS3? Sorry man, sometimes you just end up betting on the wrong horse. 

I have a 360 also, look at my game collection.

indodude said:
ymeaga1n said:
indodude said:
Hammer-of-Dawn said:

I have a 360 also, look at my game collection.

Correction: Why cuz some people only have PS3? Sorry guys, sometimes you just end up betting on the wrong horse.

ymeaga1n said:
indodude said:
Hammer-of-Dawn said:

This is the sort of thing that sucks about online gaming discussion. For so many people, it just comes down to system wars. Nothing else matters, it's just them trying to convince themselves that they made the best purchase.

Day 1 DLC is stupid. If nothing else, it exists to nickel and dime consumers for content that should be included in the purchase price. If Microsoft or Sony really cared they'd include it on the disc, period. Just recently, there was DLC for a PS3 game (don't remember which) that cost money just to unlock all the content in the game without playing it. Um.. it's called cheat codes.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

papflesje said:

Yeah, I guess your right. Sony has no desire to either earn money, nor give their fans more than a half-assed experience.

Money talks. Of course MS wants to earn more money so they buy up DLC. That's the name of the game. But as a X360 gamer, I'm benefitting immensely from what Microsoft has done. They've taken a console (the Xbox) which was pretty soft on it's game lineup, and turned the 360 into the best console on the market, with a stronger lineup than either the Wii or PS3. And at a price that's lower than both.

Even if MS isn't doing it for the fans, at least the fans are reaping massive rewards in the process. A $200 Xbox 360 gets you a crap load of gaming goodness, and a company that may have bad underlying motivations, but is still committed to their gamer base.

After all, Sony doesn't seem like it's given a rats behind about the consumer this entire generation. So I guess that even if Sony was 'for the fans', they show it in such a horrible way that you really can't tell. You can't say your for the fans when you've let 95% of your exclusive games go to a company you outsold 7:1 worldwide with your last system.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.