By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Resident Evil 5 Hidden Message for Xbox.com - Something happening 1-30-09

papflesje said:
mrstickball said:
papflesje said:

Now you're just placing words in my mouth and using it to bash.

MS and Sony are both in it for the money, that's something that everyone will acknowledge.

Sony has not been doing the MS-tactic of buying DLC or getting an agreement for this (let's admit it, money has to be given for a company usually to go DLC without making it multiplat), since we all know they are in a weak financial state.  They cannot spend the money, even though they can guess that it'll bring in more money.

MS can do this because they have deeper pockets and their higher sales + higher income stream (live and such) gives them an easier chance to earn back the money.

That the fans benefit from this, is a side effect, which is something they can market and something they can say, but which holds little to no reality for them.  That the fans are happy, creates an easier environment to get money out of them.

It's really pathetic and weak to turn those words into "yeah, Sony is the one who doesn't care about their fans, because they give them an half-assed experience".

First it was that MS gave the fans even more, now it's that sony isn't willing to give their fans the complete experience.
Pathetic from your side, mrstickball.

Let's turn it around:  Sony cares about their fans, since they have a massive first and second party developer crew, churning out massive games each year.  MS doesn't care about their fans since they scratch those developers out of their company.  Foo-ey on MS.   Also stupid statement, also bolony.

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth. Just argue the point for Sony. If you are getting upset at what MS is doing (which is why you've responded negatively to what MS is doing - getting exclusive DLC), then why not argue the point that MS is choosing to give their players a better experience? It's not unlikely that Sony could contract Capcom out to get their own exclusive scenarios in DLC for Resident Evil 5, but are choosing, either by intention or lack of money, not to.

Does Sony care about their fans? Their track record is pretty bad this gen. First they force them to adopt to a next-gen optical format that adds $200 to the system price, then they become so smug as to give them a horrible software lineup for the first 16 months of the console's life, then they remove critical features like Backwards Compatability from every device. That's not a lot of fanservice, is it?

Sony has better studios than MS. Problem is there have been 3 decent IPs to come out as 1st party exclusives - Resistance 1/2, Motorstorm, and LittleBigPlanet. That's really not a lot of 1st party titles to boast about...Is it? I mean, maybe if you were used to what the Sega Saturn got in the way of exclusives, you'll be fine with it, but the average gamer that adopted the PS1/2 en-mass the past 2 generations didn't enjoy it. Which is probably why few have chosen to adopt the big black whale-esque box called the Playstation 3.

I couldn't care less whether it were MS or Sony doing this, the point I was making still stands, namely that you call it fan service and things like that when MS does it.  I said that it's weird that it's called like that when MS does it, and others call it "it's just for the money" when Sony does it (like what has happened in a lot of other threads).

The fact that they buy (or get, doesn't matter) DLC isn't my point of discussion.  A company will do what it can to maximize profit.  If they can offer it under the disguise of "fan service", then so be it.  A good promotional stunt, and a good marketing line, but nothing more than "what can we do to get more money".  So to go all saint-like and say that MS is thinking about their fans, is a bit exaggerated.

Then you turn it around on sony, knowing full well that sony cannot afford to do such moves, and probably knowing as well that when Sony does it, quite a few on this forum would yell "well, they're just trying to get more money" (a perfectly valid answer, but only when applied to both sides of the spectrum.)

So my entire point revolves around the way it is viewed (by you in this case).

And I won't even comment on the fact that you still have to make "subtle" jabs at the PS3 (with the Saturn comment and the way it apparently looks like a whale) which are totally irrelevant to the discussion and which has gotten other members banned for far less.

You told me that Sony's 1st party offerings are 'churning out massive games every year'. I said they've had 3 good IPs. So did the Sega Saturn, so did the Gamecube. Prove me wrong :-p

It's not a jab, it's a comparison. If you disagree that the 1st party offerings of the Saturn were dissimilar to the PS3 in quality and quanity, then feel free to debate it with me.

But here's the data I see for million sellers on the X360 and PS3 that were either 1st party (published and developed by SCE), or 2nd party (3rd party developed, 1st party published):

Xbox 360:

• Halo 3 - 9.0m
  • Gears of War - 5.9m
  • Gears of War 2 - 4.5m
  • Forza Motorsports 2 - 4.3m (less bundles)
  • Fable 2 - 2.4m
  • Mass Effect - 2.3m
  • Viva Pinata - 1.8m (less bundles)
  • Project Gotham 4 - 1.7m
  • Crackdown - 1.5m
  • Project Gotham 3 - 1.5m
  • Perfect Dark Zero - 1.4m

Playstation 3:

• Motorstorm - 3.8m (less bundles)
  • Resistance - 3.5m (less bundles)
  • GT5 Prologue - 2.8m (less bundles)
  • Uncharted - 2.5m
  • Ratchet & Clank: ToD - 1.5m
  • Heavenly Sword - 1.4m
  • Resistance 2 - 1.3m

Numbers show that MS published more 1st and 2nd party games with high amounts of popularity. Interestingly enough, the top 2 MS-published titles have sold almost as much as the entire 1st and 2nd party lineup of the Playstation 3 - leaving out the rest of the other 9 titles.

So I guess, looking at the numbers, Sony doesn't give their gamers popular games either, no?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

DLC's sucks, really,, especially the pain in the ass ones,, in the past we used to do extra effort to get into a special stage or get a special item, but nowadays developpers release semi completed games and release DLC requiring paying in order to get the full game, lame,,,,,,

Mark my words: in the future, you'll have to pay in order to see the ending of your game !!!!! :)

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3), White Knight Chronicles (PS3), PES 2010 (PS3), Killzone 2 (PS3)

Games to Finish: Silent hill Homecoming (PS3), Valkyria Chronicles (PS3), Oblivion (PS3)

DirtyP2002 said:
Staude said:
exclusive dlc is retarded On either console. Because the guys interested in it.. are the ones who would get the game in the first place. So what they do is give around half of their audience the finger. Saying fuck you customer. Fuck you for wanting more of our product. Learn it bitch.

That's just how it is.

No, it is the other way around, they offer more content now. After playing the game it is your choice to decide if you want more content or if you say, that is enough for me.

And there is a competition between MS and Sony. I don't see it as a bad thing that MS want their customers to have the superior game. Actually MS could fight even harder and make 3rd party games exclusive, just like Sony did with the PS1. They got the money to do it. And MS is making the first step to digital distribution with DLC.

Sony has full games on their ps store. I think they've taken the next step towards digital distribution. You can get Burnout Paradise and Endwar among other.

It's not the other way around. Developers should make the full experiance able to everyone. It's about the gamers. Not about bragging rights. Noone is going to buy a console just because of dlc. It's just a thing that pisses people off. Like i said i feel the same way with both companys exclusive dlc. If the entire game is exclusive it's okay, but DLC, that's something that can further your experiance .. and that is something you shouldn't deny the people playing your game.

Check out my game about moles ^

Staude said:
DirtyP2002 said:
Staude said:
exclusive dlc is retarded On either console. Because the guys interested in it.. are the ones who would get the game in the first place. So what they do is give around half of their audience the finger. Saying fuck you customer. Fuck you for wanting more of our product. Learn it bitch.

That's just how it is.

No, it is the other way around, they offer more content now. After playing the game it is your choice to decide if you want more content or if you say, that is enough for me.

And there is a competition between MS and Sony. I don't see it as a bad thing that MS want their customers to have the superior game. Actually MS could fight even harder and make 3rd party games exclusive, just like Sony did with the PS1. They got the money to do it. And MS is making the first step to digital distribution with DLC.

Sony has full games on their ps store. I think they've taken the next step towards digital distribution. You can get Burnout Paradise and Endwar among other.

It's not the other way around. Developers should make the full experiance able to everyone. It's about the gamers. Not about bragging rights. Noone is going to buy a console just because of dlc. It's just a thing that pisses people off. Like i said i feel the same way with both companys exclusive dlc. If the entire game is exclusive it's okay, but DLC, that's something that can further your experiance .. and that is something you shouldn't deny the people playing your game.

It really depends on the situation.  If money from M$ enables the developer to create content that they would otherwise not have made, then that is a good thing.  The money M$ pays for content is most likely the only reason some of this content is made.

mrstickball said:

papflesje said:
mrstickball said:
papflesje said:

Now you're just placing words in my mouth and using it to bash.

MS and Sony are both in it for the money, that's something that everyone will acknowledge.

Sony has not been doing the MS-tactic of buying DLC or getting an agreement for this (let's admit it, money has to be given for a company usually to go DLC without making it multiplat), since we all know they are in a weak financial state.  They cannot spend the money, even though they can guess that it'll bring in more money.

MS can do this because they have deeper pockets and their higher sales + higher income stream (live and such) gives them an easier chance to earn back the money.

That the fans benefit from this, is a side effect, which is something they can market and something they can say, but which holds little to no reality for them.  That the fans are happy, creates an easier environment to get money out of them.

It's really pathetic and weak to turn those words into "yeah, Sony is the one who doesn't care about their fans, because they give them an half-assed experience".

First it was that MS gave the fans even more, now it's that sony isn't willing to give their fans the complete experience.
Pathetic from your side, mrstickball.

Let's turn it around:  Sony cares about their fans, since they have a massive first and second party developer crew, churning out massive games each year.  MS doesn't care about their fans since they scratch those developers out of their company.  Foo-ey on MS.   Also stupid statement, also bolony.

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth. Just argue the point for Sony. If you are getting upset at what MS is doing (which is why you've responded negatively to what MS is doing - getting exclusive DLC), then why not argue the point that MS is choosing to give their players a better experience? It's not unlikely that Sony could contract Capcom out to get their own exclusive scenarios in DLC for Resident Evil 5, but are choosing, either by intention or lack of money, not to.

Does Sony care about their fans? Their track record is pretty bad this gen. First they force them to adopt to a next-gen optical format that adds $200 to the system price, then they become so smug as to give them a horrible software lineup for the first 16 months of the console's life, then they remove critical features like Backwards Compatability from every device. That's not a lot of fanservice, is it?

Sony has better studios than MS. Problem is there have been 3 decent IPs to come out as 1st party exclusives - Resistance 1/2, Motorstorm, and LittleBigPlanet. That's really not a lot of 1st party titles to boast about...Is it? I mean, maybe if you were used to what the Sega Saturn got in the way of exclusives, you'll be fine with it, but the average gamer that adopted the PS1/2 en-mass the past 2 generations didn't enjoy it. Which is probably why few have chosen to adopt the big black whale-esque box called the Playstation 3.

I couldn't care less whether it were MS or Sony doing this, the point I was making still stands, namely that you call it fan service and things like that when MS does it.  I said that it's weird that it's called like that when MS does it, and others call it "it's just for the money" when Sony does it (like what has happened in a lot of other threads).

The fact that they buy (or get, doesn't matter) DLC isn't my point of discussion.  A company will do what it can to maximize profit.  If they can offer it under the disguise of "fan service", then so be it.  A good promotional stunt, and a good marketing line, but nothing more than "what can we do to get more money".  So to go all saint-like and say that MS is thinking about their fans, is a bit exaggerated.

Then you turn it around on sony, knowing full well that sony cannot afford to do such moves, and probably knowing as well that when Sony does it, quite a few on this forum would yell "well, they're just trying to get more money" (a perfectly valid answer, but only when applied to both sides of the spectrum.)

So my entire point revolves around the way it is viewed (by you in this case).

And I won't even comment on the fact that you still have to make "subtle" jabs at the PS3 (with the Saturn comment and the way it apparently looks like a whale) which are totally irrelevant to the discussion and which has gotten other members banned for far less.

You told me that Sony's 1st party offerings are 'churning out massive games every year'. I said they've had 3 good IPs. So did the Sega Saturn, so did the Gamecube. Prove me wrong :-p

It's not a jab, it's a comparison. If you disagree that the 1st party offerings of the Saturn were dissimilar to the PS3 in quality and quanity, then feel free to debate it with me.

But here's the data I see for million sellers on the X360 and PS3 that were either 1st party (published and developed by SCE), or 2nd party (3rd party developed, 1st party published):

Xbox 360:

• Halo 3 - 9.0m
  • Gears of War - 5.9m
  • Gears of War 2 - 4.5m
  • Forza Motorsports 2 - 4.3m (less bundles)
  • Fable 2 - 2.4m
  • Mass Effect - 2.3m
  • Viva Pinata - 1.8m (less bundles)
  • Project Gotham 4 - 1.7m
  • Crackdown - 1.5m
  • Project Gotham 3 - 1.5m
  • Perfect Dark Zero - 1.4m

Playstation 3:

• Motorstorm - 3.8m (less bundles)
  • Resistance - 3.5m (less bundles)
  • GT5 Prologue - 2.8m (less bundles)
  • Uncharted - 2.5m
  • Ratchet & Clank: ToD - 1.5m
  • Heavenly Sword - 1.4m
  • Resistance 2 - 1.3m

Numbers show that MS published more 1st and 2nd party games with high amounts of popularity. Interestingly enough, the top 2 MS-published titles have sold almost as much as the entire 1st and 2nd party lineup of the Playstation 3 - leaving out the rest of the other 9 titles.

So I guess, looking at the numbers, Sony doesn't give their gamers popular games either, no?

Seems like you have a reading disability...

Look at the bolded part.

And about that last sentence: yeah, because Sony can force people to buy their games?  But don't mind me, go back to praising MS for "fan service" :)

Around the Network

yeah its hard for people to spell bologney.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Thank you microsoft for worrying for bringing the better thing to your fans.

Xbox 360 rules...

dbot said:
FKNetwork said:
ymeaga1n said:
These comments against MS getting exclusive DLC are the stupidest arguments I have ever seen. They are competitors.

And do you really think dev are making exclusive DLC for the xbox out of the kindness of their heart? Not MS or dev problem if sony isn't getting the DLC, that sony's problem. Maybe you should be pissed off at sony for fucking up so badly.

Totally agree, If sony spent some cash rather than ripping their fans off maybe the PS3 would start getting extra content too.

The 360 is getting exclusive content for almost all new multiplatform games now, fallout 3, gta4, tomb raider, RE5, street fighter 4, the list goes on, the only people complaining are sony fanboys lmao

I would rather that Sony and Microsoft continue to develop original IP and support a large number of First/Second party developers, I just don't understand why all the multiplat games get superb content on 360, its not fair, *cries*, *keeps crying*

Of course you would...... (Fixed)

And wow! look how upset all these PS3 fanboys are getting! priceless....