By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Analyst - latest financial data shows that Wii growth may be over, Nintendo knows something big has gone wrong

@DaxIthR: I kind of agree with you, but I think the Wii is already at that place. It doesn't need software anymore. The Wii series and other Nintendo games already out will keep its sales high for the rest of this gen.

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

Around the Network
Shanobi said:
Garbage. This analyst has obviously not seen the 09 game lineup, which is a HUGE improvement over 08.

I expect sales to top 08. Take that to the bank.

I do think there may be a bit of a slump in portions of the year, but I'm expecting it to become better overall, both in terms of Wii gaming and in terms of videogame sales.  It may have taken longer than it should have, but the big-hitters for Wii are finally coming around.  Of course there are some titles that'll probably achieve little more than cult status, yet if the Wii continues to outsell PS3 and XBox360, which it is, then it'll still prevail.  As for the unfortunate mess our economy has become, well, I can only hope Obama's push for bringing money to deprived people comes to realization.  Japan could surely use something like that to boost its gaming industry.

Star Scream said:
Nintendo's stock dropped 12% today - (-11.98%). To be honest, I don't know what the investors were expecting, but that's an astronomical drop in one day...

It's like I said before, Nintendo's business performance depends a lot on the exchange rates now. The same goes for Sony and most/all other Japanese exporters.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

frybread said:

Times online (by way of Gonintendo)

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/markets/japan/article5610164.ece

Leo Lewis, Asia Business Correspondent

Nintendo, the maker of the Wii games console and the favourite safe-haven share on the Tokyo stock exchange, has stunned the market with a 33 per cent cut to its full-year profit forecasts.

Analysts described Nintendo’s guidance as a “baffling and potentially very worrying” sign for worldwide sales of the Wii as recession curtails household spending around the world.

The company itself said that it expected to sell one million fewer Wii units by the end of 2008 than it had previously expected.

Although the company will, in contrast with other Japanese consumer electronics makers, finish the year substantially in the black, the company said that it likely would close the current financial year ending March 31 with net income of about Y230 billion (£1.8 billion), not the Y345 billion that it had been predicting when it spoke to the market in October.  

Nintendo’s results in the third-quarter — the period covering the run-up to Christmas in the United States and Europe — were strong: operating profits were 21 per cent higher than during the same period the previous year.

“Today’s revision suggests that the roaring pace of Wii growth that we’ve seen until now may be over,” Hiroshi Kamide, a KBC Financial Products analyst, said.

“The numbers also imply that we are going to see a sudden collapse in the fourth quarter from record margins to some of the thinnest margins Nintendo has experienced for three years.”

Mr Kamide, who had been the only major analyst with a “sell” recommendation on Nintendo, said that, given how much the company speaks to retailers around the world, the downgrade could imply that “they know something big has gone wrong, and that people are not buying the machines”.

Part of the problem, according to games industry insiders in Japan and the UK, is that the pipeline of “must-have” Nintendo Wii software is less strong now than it was six months ago.

On the most widely read gaming websites, there are few forthcoming Wii titles generating the sort of excitement that preceded the release of Mario Galaxy or Smash Brothers.

One big source of margin destruction has been the soaring yen, which rose 24 per cent against the dollar and 30 per cent against the euro in 2008.

UPDATE

US based analysts disagree.

Arvind Bhatia with Stern Agee was also less alarmed as Kamide in his assessment. "We do not necessarily view the reduction in forecast as a negative given Nintendo has been increasing its forecast all year.

"Rather, we think supply constraints during the holiday season resulted in Nintendo losing sales and management is now factoring this in its revised forecast. We note that Wii hardware was out of stock in the US in late December/early January.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/wiis-roaring-growth-over

This is the only relevant part of that whole article. Ninty profits are down because of the strength of the Yen. It has nothing to do with how well Nintendo is doing with the hardware or software.

This "analyst" has a severe case of head-in-ass syndome.

OH NOES! Nintendo is doomed! PS3 will win the console war....

Seriously Frybread, you're becoming the new Trestres of Vgchartz with posting every bit of negative Nintendo news on the internet.

Sales forecast is down to a crippled economy and strong yen. I'm officially the millionth person that's said it now.

Around the Network

i wouldn't worry too much about the Wii...

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Given those adjustments, looks like ioi (or Brett?) overtracked the Wii by 1 mill....

Looks like it has a mountain to climb this year to overtake its competitors combined.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

^^^^ this was announced at Nintendo's report earlier this week, and already adjusted accordingly.

So if Nintendo is in downfall what the hell is Sony??

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Sony crashed into the damn mountain.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!