By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Analyst - latest financial data shows that Wii growth may be over, Nintendo knows something big has gone wrong

So, the dollar is down 24% and the euro is down 30%, we're possibly in the biggest financial meltdown since the Great Depression and Nintendo cuts forecasts by 33%.

WII IZ DOOMEDZ!!!

I'll sit back now and watch as Nintendo trashes expectations and possibly drops 20% instead of the expected 33% beating out the dollar and euro.

Does this ANALyst even know what motion plus is?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
venepe said:
I wouldn't pay too much attention to this article as the entire article is based on the comments made by analyst Hiroshi Kamide. the article further says that Mr. Kamide is the "only major analyst with a 'sell' recommendation on Nintendo".

Therefore, he is just defending his stance on the matter and is not the overall opinion of the analyst community.

You have just hit upon the most critical point of the entire report.

This analyst has a track record of predicting Wii doom. So he is just staying the course.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

As long as Nintendo is selling 330k units of Wii hardware per week - in late January, a slow period of the year - I think they're in pretty good shape.

With zero holiday boost whatsoever, they would still sell over 17m Wiis at that rate: 50% higher than the 360 or PS3 have done in their best years on the market.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

lol strong yen and ecenomic downturn cut into some profits for an export orientated company in Japan? Who'd have thunk it?

The sales are fine, and still very strong compared to 1 or 2 years ago.

The problem is Japan - and its a market-wide problem.

I suspect Ninty will go into their shells a little until Xmas - although Sports Resort will still be a huge release/title.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

People should also remember that the Wii has now seen THREE Xmas's, and:

- its had NO price cuts
- no significant bundles
- no new colours
- no hardware revisions

I always pegged '09 for the initial 'slow down' in sales, and the first price cut (or real bundle) sometime this year.

Ninty need to put out a WiiFit & MKart bundle (+ 2nd controller) - new packaging, and cut 10% off the combined price for each. Then get that marketing machine cranking again.

They just need some news - all the ads/news here I see (in Australia) are for WiiFit/Mkart/WiiSports - none of which are new.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I'd imagine Nintendo might try new colours or some bundles before they drop the price.

Does this situation not scream Wii Sports Resort/Motion Plus bundle??

£180/$250(?) gets you motion plus accessory, Wii Sports Resort AND Wii Sports.

This would beat the pants off a slimmer model or bigger harddrive, even in pink.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Wii Fit sold over 300,000 units in the U.S. just last week, January 19-23.

Over 250,000 units were sold the week of January 19-23.

-Iwata.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/949/949882p1.html

Looks like their still kicking serious butt.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Is there no hope of the Japanese videogame market ever being revitilized?