By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Analyst - latest financial data shows that Wii growth may be over, Nintendo knows something big has gone wrong

Updated with a US-based analyst response. Pachter also disagrees, and still lists Nintendo as "buy"

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Around the Network

If anyone takes this seriously and happens to have Nintendo stock, I'll relieve you of the burden - please.

Nothing's 'going on". I saw my first Wii Fits in the wild at Best Buy last night. They had three when I came in sitting on a table at the very front of the table. They had practice mats when I left and I was only in looking for a mouse.

Grampy said:
If anyone takes this seriously and happens to have Nintendo stock, I'll relieve you of the burden - please.

Nothing's 'going on". I saw my first Wii Fits in the wild at Best Buy last night. They had three when I came in sitting on a table at the very front of the table. They had practice mats when I left and I was only in looking for a mouse.

I used to have Nintendo stock, but I dumped it once I realized that I was investing more in the dollar/euro to Yen conversion rate than on the gaming business.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I think I've read somewhere that the lower sales came from Japan. Let's face it, the Wii isn't doing great in Japan. Nintendo really needs to do something fast if they ever want to gain a lot of money from Japan.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Six months ago? We were in July. Mario Kart and SSBB were already out, and we were looking at a year of WiiMusic and Animal Crossing.

Today we're looking at House of the Dead, Conduit, Mad World, Fatal Frame 4, Pikmin, Mario Tennis, Punch Out and others in the next six months.

WTF are they talking about?

Around the Network

Unless something stupid crazy happens, I'm standing by my old theory.

Every generation, consoles race to be the first to 40M. No second place home console has ever come close to that number. I'll maintain that getting from 40M to 75M is a Phase 2 challenge and a different beast, but an installed base of 40M guarantees attention from every major publisher.

Getting from 75M to 100M and beyond is automatic. Once you reach that kind of saturation, you have an overwhelming lead. A system with a 75M installed base always gets to 100M. (PS1, PS2 and DS are 3 for 3.) At 75M , you have won the hearts and minds of every region across the globe and momentum and mind share will carry you the rest of the way.

If the Wii hits 75M in the middle of next year, it can get to 100M without Nintendo publishing another piece of software.

This is what we call a bad analysis.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

DaxIthR said:
Unless something stupid crazy happens, I'm standing by my old theory.

Every generation, consoles race to be the first to 40M. No second place home console has ever come close to that number. I'll maintain that getting from 40M to 75M is a Phase 2 challenge and a different beast, but an installed base of 40M guarantees attention from every major publisher.

Getting from 75M to 100M and beyond is automatic. Once you reach that kind of saturation, you have an overwhelming lead. A system with a 75M installed base always gets to 100M. (PS1, PS2 and DS are 3 for 3.) At 75M , you have won the hearts and minds of every region across the globe and momentum and mind share will carry you the rest of the way.

If the Wii hits 75M in the middle of next year, it can get to 100M without Nintendo publishing another piece of software.

How do you explain the GBA, which sold ~80 M?

@izaaz101

Ninty killed GBA themselves for the sake of DS.

mai said:
@izaaz101

Ninty killed GBA themselves for the sake of DS.

So you're saying that the GBA would have sold over 40M after 05 if the DS hadn't had a GBA slot included?

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS