By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 Is Undertracked?(Sony shipments out)

It is possible Sony shipped too many PS3 consoles during Q3. 2 million left unsold is reasonable. PS3 sold poorly over holiday period of 08'. I believe PS3 sold up to 1 million less than Sony expected in Q3. Anyway there are lot of PS3s in the supply chains at the moment.

Around the Network

If there were this many units at retail it would be all over the game sites, how stores are stacked to the roof with PS3's. And how Sony should stop gaming forever and how they will close down and stop production of the PS3, but we don't see this regarding PS3 units at stores.

Go to any store and they will always have about an equal amount of 360 to PS3 units. 2mil PS3 to 700k 360's makes no sense.

numonex said:
It is possible Sony shipped too many PS3 consoles during Q3. 2 million left unsold is reasonable. PS3 sold poorly over holiday period of 08'. I believe PS3 sold up to 1 million less than Sony expected in Q3. Anyway there are lot of PS3s in the supply chains at the moment.

you know that how?

PS3 is more expensive, we are in the middle of a crisis and most people think there will be a price cut, so it's normal that a quite large number of buyers waited for clearance sales (that outside of anglo-saxon countries start almost always in January) to get at least a little discount.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

SpartanFX said:
numonex said:

you know that how?

Sony could of made a mistake regarding their shipment numbers. 21.3 million sounds a bit high, considering sales tracking sites had recorded it as only having sold 19.3 million consoles.

Around the Network

@Griffin: Well, that's the case around here. Some stores don't seem to have any Wiis or 360:s where you could see them, but a big stack of PS3:s (and PS2:s) in the center of gaming section. It looks a little like when PSP-1000 was phased out.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Don't be silly, PS3 shipment number is correct, also, X360 shipment number is 28.5m.

ugh..I'm seriously tired of this..

Of course Sony thought they would sell more than this

Of course retailers bought more ps3's because of the same reason.

If it is overtracked, it's only by a small margin of 200-300k.

End of conclusion, end of the neverending silly arguments by spartanFX, who can't seem to understand simple economics..

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Why do people continue to claim there are only 700k Xbox 360s in stock while the real number is 1.2 million? BKK2 already mentioned they shipped 28.5 million, not just 28 million. And 2 million in stock is definitely possible, inventory is higher in the holiday season because sales are higher as well. So while normally there might be around 1 million consoles in the wild, having closer to 1.5 million at the end of December seems very likely. And if sales end up being lower than expected it can easily get to around 2 million units left in inventory.

@mehm: For years Sony only provided production shipment numbers. As far as I know there is no way to know exactly how many PS2s have been shipped to retailers since launch.

koffieboon said:
@mehm: For years Sony only provided production shipment numbers. As far as I know there is no way to know exactly how many PS2s have been shipped to retailers since launch.

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/casual-connect-sony-on-developing-for-an-open-ps2-platform/?biz=1

Production shipment is btw now at 138.15 million whereas Unit sales (normal shipments) are at 136.32 million. The difference between those two methods isn't as big as it were some years ago, because the PS2 isn't produced that much anymore.