By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 Is Undertracked?(Sony shipments out)

I noticed that 360 > PS3 in Europe for the last months is totally wrong...

So maybe the 360 is overtracked, or the PS3 undertracked.

Around the Network
mehm said:
Err, production shipments have nothing to do with replacements. It's the amount of consoles shipped from the factories to Sonys own warehouses. BKK2 agrees with me too btw.

Yes, but where do you think the replacement come from? They don't ship it directly from the factory to the individual, they ship it to the warehouse, then probably to the regional substiary then to the individual. My point is that all the PS2 ever produce, including the replacement one, are counted in the production shipments. Thus, the disperancy between the production shipment and the one to the retailer should be much higher because the replacement unit are counted in the production shipment but not shipment to retailer. Looking at the number it's probably unit shipped in and out of the warehouses with the disperancy being the number of PS2 sitting in the warehouse.

Depending on the time of the years, a lot of console are stockpiling in warehouse because console maker produce a set amount every month but sell much more of them during the last quarter.

Example, Sony forecast to sell 12 million PS2 in 2008 and thus set a production rate of 1mil/month. Going by the 60/40 rule, during the first 9 month they would sell 7.2 PS2, yet they would have produced 9. Thus at the start of the last quarter they would have 1.8 million PS2 sitting in there warehouse for the holiday season where they would sell the remaining 4.8 million PS2. There is the also the possibility that they could screwed up there forecast.

Persons without argument hide behind their opinion

Malachi - But how many PS2's get thrown away when they are replaced? I doubt Sony just takes, or took, a $200-300 device and threw in it the trash.

That's why there are products called "refurbished" units. Sony took the old, broken systems and fixed them up, and re-sold them to stores, most likely. All companies do this. GameStop sells quite a few refurbs from the manufacturer, as it's an easy way to get 30% off the regular price of a system.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

@Mrstickball: If Sony ships the units, they are included in shipments.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

headhunterz67 said:
I noticed that 360 > PS3 in Europe for the last months is totally wrong...

So maybe the 360 is overtracked, or the PS3 undertracked.

Beware!In this site you cant say such things or doubt the sites numbers without being in high risk of being banned.

Brett-ioi will change the numbers whenever he feels like it ,but if you say it in advance you are in risk of being banned by some of the more zealous mods around.

I would reformulate the phrase if I was you.

Around the Network

Theres quite a bit of PS3 stock in stores ,but pretty much the same as Wii and slighty more than 360 (and the later being due to stores commanding less 360 usually).

I wont enter this discussion in depth because I would get banned by you know who.It doesnt bothers me too much because the relevant info for me in the site is provided by posters as BKK ,prosugno360,y-koron and makingmusic among others and can read it even if banned but theres some nice people on the forums and dont want to be perma-banned yet so I wont enter the fray.

Sony's numbers are always undertracked >:(

If you aren't playing B3YOND, you're playing behind

Playstation 3: It Only Does Everything

SpartanFX said:

Sony can not lie,,,it's illegal.

Define lie.

mehm said:

Well then, the production shipments are even higher, probably over 140m. But the 136.32m number is unit sales, because the 131.3m from June 08 can't possibly be production shipments as they should be well over 135m at that point.

Fact is we don't really know what he means with that 131.3 million figure, the words shipped and sold have been used many times with different definitions. Only if we get a number with a clear definition within their earnings release or annual report we have certainty.