By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony's "Ace in the hole"...

Kwaad... this one is dedicated to you... cheer up! ... I have been thinking about the PS3 & Sony... and believe that Sony has a major ace card - about to be played. It requires the Playstation Network (home is just a small part of it), and involves content. Its pretty simple really... what would YOU do if you were Sony, and you wanted the PS3 to dominate? Answer - Content + Online. This won't all happen at once - but by the end of the generation, this should all be possible on a PS3: - Download / play any PS1 game on a PSP & PS3. - Download & play any PS2 game on a PS3. - Download/buy any Sony published movie, music, etc. (and possibly restrict other companies from having access to this content). ... The PS1 games alone are pretty significant. Sony could price them at say $1US - and that would be killer right there. As long as the PS3 could play (most of them), and upsample textures (etc) as needed. Eventually, PS2 could also be added to the list (downloading a 5Gig game could be a problem though...). That would be pretty amazing... it might even be possible to PLAY a PS1/PS2 game across a network (rather than playing locally), and there might be a pay-per-play system coming. Sony has an immense amount of content - it really is the other "half" of Sony. And now they finally have a machine that can deliver this content efficiently to customers all over the globe. They even have the option to restrict any movies/content/music they own from their competitors - giving themselves a global monopoly on many brands, icons, etc. What do people think? Is this content significant? Is this Sony's strategy, or have I got it all wrong? (they after all recently stated that "new" content was the new focus - not old games, etc..). (apologies for the 'rough' email - at work and with plenty to do!).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

I agree that Sony's awesome but why do people keep making topics. Its making it worse. Wii's gunna be pissed when he comes back.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

Sony will have a tough time which is good. Sony laid back for about 5 years now. They didn't have any competition at all. Now it's totally different. Gamers want sth new and still PS3 isn't providing that feeling. Motorstorm is the first game where I have a PS3 feeling when I watch the trailers. I hope none of the consoles will be destroyed in the market because a dominance of one system always makes a company arrogant. I don't want to remind people how Nintendo acted the same as Sony when they had the Number One system with the SNES. The N64 had the same praised as the PS3. History reapeats itself.

AninParadX said: I don't want to remind people how Nintendo acted the same as Sony when they had the Number One system with the SNES.
That's the point. Statements like - "Nintendo - so good" and "Sony - so bad" are just silly. Only bad thing about Sony is poor PR - they are too arrogant. People believe that Nintendo greatest wish is to bring funny games for gamers joy - WRONG - they want your money just like sony does. It is not bad because it's business - I'm sick to death when I have to read about sony's "bad" pricing when you have to pay for Nintendo's low budget games allmost the same and the Wii is most overpriced game-machine on the market. Main argument in Sony-Nintendo battle is price. Not games, not tech-specification. People started to hate Sony because they can't afford for own PS3 - that is the way I perceive it. Maybe I'm wrong but even on this forum first is price, second goes "nintendo = superior gameplay". How many of you "Wii-lovers" would pay 600$ for Wii or choose Wii if PS3 would cost 250$.. ergh.. never mind.

roadkillers said: I agree that Sony's awesome but why do people keep making topics. Its making it worse. Wii's gunna be pissed when he comes back.
Well this is more of a legitimate post than some...others... I do think the PS3's online system has potential, and the downloading possiblities will be awesome. Downloading PS1 games...possibly...but PS2 games are just too big.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

BenKenobi88 said: roadkillers said: I agree that Sony's awesome but why do people keep making topics. Its making it worse. Wii's gunna be pissed when he comes back. Well this is more of a legitimate post than some...others... I do think the PS3's online system has potential, and the downloading possiblities will be awesome. Downloading PS1 games...possibly...but PS2 games are just too big.
What about the awesome idea sega had? Remember the sega channel? For a fee you get to play like 20 games a month unlimited. It was an attachment, but very cool and I had it and liked it.

BenKenobi88 said: I do think the PS3's online system has potential, and the downloading possiblities will be awesome. Downloading PS1 games...possibly...but PS2 games are just too big.
I know for a fact that (early) PS2 games were all CD based - so they would be exactly as big as a PS1 game. Plus in 3-4 years... maybe no one will care about a 5Gig download (unlikely though...). BTW, this was an attempt at a legitimate thread - I was having a long, hard think about what Sony has up its sleeves...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I think it's a great plan for them. I download files that large all the time. The only thing they'd need is a bittorrent client and downloads in the freakin background so you can AT LEAST play off-line games while you download. That's really the worst feature of the PS3 right now.

c'mon, of course sony being a conglomerate helps, and of course sony is thinking about the home entertainment hub... why on earth do you think the ps3 is basically a supercomputer (i'm sure there'll be some research lab that builds a cluster of ps3's when the prices come down even further). bill gates' been talking about the hub for close to a decade now, that's why you even have the xbox. i don't know, but apple has a hub that's due out later this year (is that right?). i don't know much about it, but with their ipods and steve jobs at the helm i won't bet against them, even given sony's and microsoft's might. given jobs, gates and stringer to envision the home hub people want, i'd pick jobs 100 times out of 100. nintendo is... well, this is kind of out of its league. there's the intriguing prospect of nintendo merging with apple... it'll be the ultimate company, with oozing creativity. but on further thought, there could be a thing as too much creativity, with jobs and iwata/miyamoto butting heads and disagreeing on designs and strategies. as to downloading PS1 and PS2 games on PS3... it appears to have potential. i think an interesting factor is that given another 5-10 years, more than half of the US population would be consisted of people having grown up with some exposure to gaming, unlike the current US population. i think apple realizes this and that's why they also have some plans about gaming, which is why i thought of the apple-nintendo marriage. although again, it's unlikely as hell. in a way, it's "too bad" that the DS wii are selling so darn well, since otherwise it might consider an alliance with apple. no mater what happens, the ultimate winner is us! whether it be PSx or xboxABC or iWii, exciting times ahead.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Lingyis, there were rumors that Apple was going to create a console when they hired game developers but I believe that's for their iphone. have there been any other rumors lately because I haven't heard anything about that. It's a crowded market right now with 2 different types on consoles available, including 2 of 1 type, and also 2 different successful handhelds right now (3 considering the GBA is still selling well). Very crowded.