By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony's "Ace in the hole"...

Kwaad said: Yup PS3 is based around single player, Wii is around party, and 360 is online. shams - on your bittorrent set a upload limiter to something like 20k/s. That might help. If you are maxing your up. You wont download faster than 50-100k/s If your looking into downloading straight off the net, look into http://gamershell.com They have alot of game related stuff for download, off *GREAT* servers. They give me the best download speeds I've ever seen, and their 100% free.
Already done - ports are open, and upload set at maximum. Its not related to my DL speed being limited by software - its either the people/files I am grabbing, or my pipe (probably both). Ok - I'll give gamershell a go - thanks :)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

shams said: This is one of my biggest issues with BluRay. It uses the same crappy compression technology... right? So why not just take a high definition movie, use a GOOD codec, and release it on a 9Gig DVD? Some existing DVD players would already play them (i.e. mine!), and it wouldn't cost that much to upgrade DVD players to support this fully? Why pay $1000US for the same thing???
h.264 is the best codec on the market right now. (best) Both HD-DVD and BluRay support it. I am very impressed with AVC/h.264 It has proven to be my favorite compression so far. (it's faster, smaller filesize, and looks just as good) The problem with h.264 or any other 1080p video file... is it needs more CPU power than you would think. My old 2.8Ghz P4 could NOT do it. Overall the data capacity on BluRay isnt that imporant for video. But it's VERY imporant for becoming the next 'standard'. And h.264 with 0 loss would still run something like 5gb/hour. The new generation of players is necessary. What I like about bluray is this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5jEbZt6AIQ I dont need to say more. EDIT: I just wanna say movie theaters run at 1080x2048. BluRay runs 1080x1960. I dont think BluRay is going anywhere in the near future.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Yes H264 is the best codec, and x264 is its best implementation right now, so what I know is based on this implementation. It means don't be surprised if you can't do what I do with the one you use. Like the others, it's "only" a MPEG4 profile. And it doesn't look as good as the others (VC1 and MPEG2), it looks the best of all. H264 files don't necessarily need lots of power, it depends on the output resolution. Of course, 1080p output will need lots of power (or assistance from the graphics card). Like all codecs with loss, there is no H264 with zero loss. You will always have loss, even at 5GB/hour ratio. What I would like to know, that I don't understand in what you say, is why you say Blu-ray have 1080x1960 resolution. This is just impossible to me, as I recall HD is 16/9 format, meaning it should be 1920x1080 (known as 1080p). How come BD would then have 1080x1960 on it ? That doesn't make sense at all. And no, movies don't have 1080x2048, that's just impossible too. Even 2048x1080 I can't understand. What bastard format is that ? Are you sure of it ? I think it's wrong.