By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What if Sony had released Playstation 3 without a Blu-Ray Player

What would be the state of Playstation 3 if Sony had released it with a regular DVD drive instead of a Blu-Ray player? What would it's price point be? How many PS3 users would we see today? What are your thoughts?

Around the Network

SONY would be in 2nd place right now.

PS3's launch price would be $399 probably....now it would be at $259

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

HD DVD would have won the next gen DVD format war. Sony would be losing millions...and would be in a dogfight with Microsoft for scraps. Nintendo is unaffected.

With a $400 price tag it would have smashed the 360 at launch.

HD-DVD would have won because it was the cheaper one like disolitude said so sony would be losing money on a different front. And the PS3's sales are kind of hard to judge because for many people, blu-ray was the sway.

The simple answer is we'll never know because I get the feeling that no matter how low sony could have dropped their price, M$ would have gone even lower. If ps3 was $300 by now with no blu-ray, x360 might have been $150, you never know.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network

If its price tag reflected its lack of blu it would probably be no.2 or at the very least a much much smaller gap and much more competitiveness in terms of third party support. Nintendo would be unaffected for the most part. Blu probably would have lost to HD-DVD which may be bad for Sony. I hate all things HD anyway tho so I would probably like the PS3 alot more.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

I would have done something more dev-friendly (a more traditional CPU/GPU) than the Cell, and kept the Blu-ray. Blu-ray component price is falling very fast. That would have probably made the launch price under $400 and $250 to $300 now. From what I've heard, the XDR Ram is one of the most expensive components now that is needed by the Cell.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

The lower price tag would have been great but...could sony really then say the ps3 is in any way better than the 360?

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

NintendoMan said:
If its price tag reflected its lack of blu it would probably be no.2 or at the very least a much much smaller gap and much more competitiveness in terms of third party support. Nintendo would be unaffected for the most part. Blu probably would have lost to HD-DVD which may be bad for Sony. I hate all things HD anyway tho so I would probably like the PS3 alot more.

The PS3 would still put out HD graphics. the Blu-Ray player only also allows it to play HD movies...

As to the rest of your sentiment though I agree.  IT would either be second, or have a MUCH smaller gap with the 360, even given the year headstart the 360 had.

darthdevidem01 said:
SONY would be in 2nd place right now.

PS3's launch price would be $399 probably....now it would be at $259

What an odd price.

Hmm, good question. Well, the PS3 supposedly cost ~$800 at launch, and Blu-ray was probably a 1/4 of the cost (I'm making up numbers here), so let's say they manufactured it for $600. They probably would have launched it at $500 or $450, which would have lowered the loss that they took from the PS3, and perhaps they would have been profitable now. However, they would lose any future Blu-Ray money, once it catches on.