By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you think the ps3 gonna live 10 years just like the ps2 ?

Yes. It's got Blu Ray and is future proof with firmware updates. Next Question?

Around the Network
coolestguyever said:

Windows 95 also had firmware updates.

coolestguyever said:

Future Proof are you serious?

A) The Specs are not that impressive look at the amount of RAM for example

B) PS3 Blu Ray Drive will be kinda slow compared to standalones in few years.

C) New Mid Range PC easily outperformes the PS3, therefore its not future proof.

D) Firmware Updates wont improve PS3 radically that it can last for 10 years.

And im not bashing PS3 here, there is simply no such thing as future proof technology.

PS3 lifespan will end the same time that PS4 rolls in, so around 2011-2012, PS1 and PS2 were different because of the sales they have achieved, and the massive userbase. Playstation brand in 2009 is less significant, it does not sell well, the Wii will have longer lifespan not ps3 it will be killed off just like GC and Xbox as soon as next gen rolls in.

I b3lieve so.

Nope, mine already left at just over one year!

PSWii60 owner! woot

Get your Portable ID!

Around the Network

No I think they will start to phase it out in 2011.

nathantay said:

No I think they will start to phase it out in 2011.

they aint sega kid.

- PS3 doesnt have PS2s year head start
- it doesnt have PS2 strong 3rd party support (it does but 360 and Wiis are stronger)
- It isnt as price competitive as PS2 was
- It looses more money per console then PS2 did
- Not as many exclusives flowing in as PS2 had
- Gamecube and Xbox werent nearly half as tough as Wii and the 360 are today.
- Isnt the market leader like PS2 was

What makes you guys think Sony will keep PS3 around for 10 years? The last place console NEVER stays on retail shelves the longest. Sony will discontinue the PS3 without a moments hesitation if it continuesm to be a money loser and wont care that they said "10 year plan" in the past. If it isnt good for business, theyll cut it.

CGI-Quality said:
@ twingo

Not to be off topic but what's up with your sudden, strong distaste for Sega?

They are proabbly the biggest fakups in the industry, their games suck.  Plus i never liked them, had a nes and snes rather then their console.

Man people still believe in this 10 plan thing in the end its not technology or a company that can make a product last 10 years. The decision is made entirely by the consumers. If consumers stop purchasing a product would a company continue to make something if less and less people to very little continueing purschasing. Could you if you were running a company justify keeping factories and so on paying rent, workforce, etc etc to keep making something thats not selling. I'm not saying its a dead product I see it lasting 6 years max but i'm thinking more of a corporate view. Should i continue making something that dosnt sale and waste money on space and so forth. Of course I like my product to last 10 years but if the economy and consumers dictate otherwise it changes.

I TAKE NO SIDES