By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you think the ps3 gonna live 10 years just like the ps2 ?

Yes and no. I think there's a good chance that Nintendo will help elongate the 360/PS3's lifespan. With a Wii2 in three or four years, porting over to the PS3/360 might be a low-cost incentive to tack on a little profit to a title.

But it will have nothing to do with Sony. If Nintendo releases a more powerful system that can't easily do ports or if they don't release a system at all, expect both the 360 and PS3 to die quick deaths once the PS4 and NextBox are released.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Yes and no. I think there's a good chance that Nintendo will help elongate the 360/PS3's lifespan. With a Wii2 in three or four years, porting over to the PS3/360 might be a low-cost incentive to tack on a little profit to a title.

But it will have nothing to do with Sony. If Nintendo releases a more powerful system that can't easily do ports or if they don't release a system at all, expect both the 360 and PS3 to die quick deaths once the PS4 and NextBox are released.

you really think wii2 will be more powerfull the PS3 lol, given wiis (GC1.5) capabilities compared to its predecessor ?

I think it is possible

the components of the ps3 are very modern and the only problem that destroyed the good sales of the ps3

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

It most likely will if it starts to turn in a decent profit. Sony would definitely launch a new console before 10 years time but they''ll keep the ps3 around if i still brings money

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

The negative stigma surrounding the ps3 is probably going to force their hand to close shop before the 10 year period. As millions of people have already said; they need to cut the price. 400 is just too expensive for this economy. Technologically speaking, it can most likely survive a 10 year life span.

Around the Network
twingo said:
rocketpig said:

you really think wii2 will be more powerfull the PS3 lol, given wiis (GC1.5) capabilities compared to its predecessor ?

Yeah, that's what I said.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
twingo said:
rocketpig said:

when pigs fly dude.

twingo said:
rocketpig said:
twingo said:
rocketpig said:

when pigs fly dude.

If your just basing this on past history, what makes the GC -> Wii generation transition so much more important than NES -> SNES -> N64 -> GC ones?  There's already laptop tech that's more powerful than the PS3 ,and in 3-4 years time higher performing low-power parts should easily be low cost enough.

Of course. PSN, Blu-ray, Cell, HDD. PS3 and Xbox 360 both have no reason to ever stop being supported. They are always evolving products, and they can change through time to suit differant needs. Both systems will get shrunk down to save shelf space, and continue to become less expensive to manufacture. As long as consumers are willing to support the systems, and they are a profitable source for gaming companies, their is no reason that they can't both last 20 years on the market.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

No. Blu-ray is not an argument for the ps3 being 'future proof' .In 2-3 years blu-ray players will be much cheaper than the PS3. The cell is just PR bullshit that got fanboys hyped.

Unless the current situation changes (Ps3 doubles sales this year) I don't see it lasting more than the xbox or GC did +1 year. Especially given the dramatic economy at the moment, which makes things even more worse and unlikely for Sony to push the system another 7-8 years.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!