By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you think the ps3 gonna live 10 years just like the ps2 ?

KBG29 said:
Of course. PSN, Blu-ray, Cell, HDD. PS3 and Xbox 360 both have no reason to ever stop being supported. They are always evolving products, and they can change through time to suit differant needs. Both systems will get shrunk down to save shelf space, and continue to become less expensive to manufacture. As long as consumers are willing to support the systems, and they are a profitable source for gaming companies, their is no reason that they can't both last 20 years on the market.

Even the 2600, the lord of the "why should I need to upgrade, ever" idea when console gaming was new, didn't last anywhere close to 20 years.

Shit, VHS barely lasted 20 years. Expecting a 21st century gaming console to mirror that kind of mid-80s technophobia and non-compliance to technology upgrades is ridiculous.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

I say 12 yrs :D

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

I think it will be around for 10 years from JP launch.

However in much the same way as the PS1/2 were ramped down as the prem console offering I expect the PS3 to take a back seat to its eventual successor.

The question is when will that be.

The original playstation was the top offering for (12/94 - 03/00) 5 yrs 3 months
The PS2 was top for (03/00 - 11/06) 6 years 8 months

The PS3 can reasonably be expected to be top Sony console until at least Nov 2011.

Sony initially intimated that this console would be given longer, but after the chronic start its had and the current market forces at play, I think it more likely it will be pensioned off early.

Unless of course things change. Time is one thing Sony still has on its side.

finalsquall said:
I say 12 yrs :D

Such a profound thinker. As believable as your last year prediction (wii 30 mil) and this year (wii 60 mil)

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

It can last as a secondary console, because most likely Sony will release PS4 together with X720 at the end of 2011-2012.

Around the Network

hard to say. We've got the recession both killing off developers and putting high priced consoles out of most consumer spending limits, Sony downsizing, Wii still dominating the market, 3rd parties starting to eye the Wii. It could happen, but its far from certain. Things are obviously different than they were last gen.

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Do you?

I hope but I doubt about that. I think ( but I don't hope) that Sony gonna begin to talk about a new system in less than 2 years...

CONMAN15 said:
I'm not sure. With blu ray and all I think its a possibility, but unlikely. Then again it alll depends on what the competitors do. If they release a new console at a similar price point then I say heck no.

yeah I think your right on that

Come on, PS2 hasn't even been around for 10 years and is dying off now. And that console completely dominated the market. If PS2 can't do it, why would anyone in their right mind honestly believe the PS3 can..? Come on, get real.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1