By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Ninja Gaiden 2 to be shown at TGS

If this doesn't come out for the PS3, I'm buying a 360. I want this game badly.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
jman8 said:
I'm with the whole "250,000 for a 3rd installment of the same damn game from 2004 is pretty good" crowd. Considering that the budget on this game was probably pretty small since it was merely a port, Tecmo probably made a nice profit on this bad boy. Whether that means a PS3 version of NG2 comes out alongside the 360 version, I dunno.

But here's an idea: perhaps Team Ninja developed NGS to get some familiarity with PS3 hardware before developing a NG2 for the system.

It's graphics were completely overhauled, new content was added, and it was done on a system with a completely different architecture from the original so it's likely that a decent amount of the game's original engine had to be rewritten for the PS3. So while 250,000 thousand copies sold isn't bad it might not be enough to give them a decent profit (although I have no idea how much it cost to make it but I assume it wasn't really cheap).

As for Ninja Gaiden 2 it's true that they now have a working engine and more knowledge of the PS3 but who knows how many changes to the engine might be required for them to get it up and running on the PS3. And if they originally started it from the ground up on the 360 they may feel it's not worth their time to convert it to the PS3 if they have to overcome hurdles to get it running well on the PS3 (and no this isn't a bash on the PS3, it's a powerful machine but the differences between the two systems sometimes causes problems especially depending on which is the lead console and the design decisions being made).

If each game sold for an average retail price of $60, then the game grossed $15 million. Subtract $10/game for what the retailer takes away, and subtract a liberal $10/game for what Sony takes away in the form of royalties, and Tecmo gets $10 million put into their bank account. IMO no way it cost them more than $10 million to develop and market and package and ship this game considering the groundwork for the title was already laid out 3 years ago, and a pretty small group of programmers were assigned to this job as a secondary project for Team Ninja. Itagaki himself barely had much to do with the game. 

And if that 500,000 sold to retailers number is true, then you can just double the above numbers because Tecmo gets paid based on how many they sell to retailers, NOT consumers.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

jman8 said:
Legend11 said:
jman8 said:

If each game sold for an average retail price of $60, then the game grossed $15 million. Subtract $10/game for what the retailer takes away, and subtract a liberal $10/game for what Sony takes away in the form of royalties, and Tecmo gets $10 million put into their bank account. IMO no way it cost them more than $10 million to develop and market and package and ship this game considering the groundwork for the title was already laid out 3 years ago, and a pretty small group of programmers were assigned to this job as a secondary project for Team Ninja. Itagaki himself barely had much to do with the game. 

And if that 500,000 sold to retailers number is true, then you can just double the above numbers because Tecmo gets paid based on how many they sell to retailers, NOT consumers.

$10 million isn't bad, but it could of sold 2-3 times the amount of that on the 360... Tecmo could of made $20-30 million dollars.

Maybe this is a strategy for the developer.. they could technically release NG 2 1/2 on the PS3 in a couple years, then NG 3 back on the 360 and so forth.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

I wouldn't be surprised if something like that happened; it's kinda like how MGS2 Subsistence was on the Xbox and now MGS4 is gonna be out first on the PS3. I just think NGS sold more than enough to justify a PS3 version of NG2 a year from now. I mean, if a 3 year old port can sell 250,000 copies with a 4 million PS3 user base, just think about how many copies of a brand new NG2 would sell with a 10 million user base. 

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

jman8 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if something like that happened; it's kinda like how MGS2 Subsistence was on the Xbox and now MGS4 is gonna be out first on the PS3. I just think NGS sold more than enough to justify a PS3 version of NG2 a year from now. I mean, if a 3 year old port can sell 250,000 copies with a 4 million PS3 user base, just think about how many copies of a brand new NG2 would sell with a 10 million user base.

You have to consider a few things:

• The majority of those people had never played the game before. 
  • It was a port of a game from last-gen
  • Itagaki said on IGN prior to the release he was just putting the game out for the fewSony fans that missed out on the original.
  • He also said Team Ninjas games will always debut on Xbox consoles because that is where their fanbase lies.
  • Therefore he won't port any of their 360 games until maybe 4 years or so later.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo