By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Timers in film piss me off

I just got done watching Independence Day on TNT, and minus any other of the thousand little quirks in the movie, it really got me thinking about the thing I hate most about some movies. Why is it when a bomb is on a timer, or a sports game in a movie is running through it's final minutes and seconds, that time seems to slow considerably? Will Smith had 30 seconds on a timer to get out of that silly mothership before this nuke detonated. Approximately 1 min. 30 sec. later, the bomb explodes. Why? The timer is of your own creation movie makers! If you need a minute-thirty to get the scene rolling, then just make the timer for a minute-thirty! I think it becomes even more overbearing that now we have a show like 24 that manages to keep a running clock for 24 hours and doesn't miss a beat. Sports movies, action movies, anything with a timer.

Make. It. In. Real. Time.

Rant over. Thoughts and opinions?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

And don't get me started on Dragon Ball Z! Planet Namek was going to explode in 5 minutes. It took 10 episodes for those 5 minutes to pass!

d21lewis said:
And don't get me started on Dragon Ball Z! Planet Namek was going to explode in 5 minutes. It took 10 episodes for those 5 minutes to pass!

Christ. At that point my mind would have snapped like a slim jim and my ape would have taken a big old shit. Seriously, why are certain people that make this entertainment that fucking brain dead? If Planet Dragon Ball Z is going to explode in 5 minutes, you've got exactly 4 minuters and 55 seconds to get it done in! I want that last five seconds to recuperate from having had to watch DBZ for almost five minutes.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:

I just got done watching Independence Day on TNT, and minus any other of the thousand little quirks in the movie, it really got me thinking about the thing I hate most about some movies. Why is it when a bomb is on a timer, or a sports game in a movie is running through it's final minutes and seconds, that time seems to slow considerably? Will Smith had 30 seconds on a timer to get out of that silly mothership before this nuke detonated. Approximately 1 min. 30 sec. later, the bomb explodes. Why? The timer is of your own creation movie makers! If you need a minute-thirty to get the scene rolling, then just make the timer for a minute-thirty! I think it becomes even more overbearing that now we have a show like 24 that manages to keep a running clock for 24 hours and doesn't miss a beat. Sports movies, action movies, anything with a timer.

In alot of cases the 1:30 shows what 3 different groups of people do in the 30s before the explosion

scottie said:
Onyxmeth said:

In alot of cases the 1:30 shows what 3 different groups of people do in the 30s before the explosion

What movie is that? It sure isn't Independence Day. It took them over a minute just to get out of the ship, and the camera never cut to any other scene.

Around the Network

I agree, 24 has spoiled everything like that. I was watching the West Wing (DVD) recently, and they were counting down to something happening, and it didn't take the 3 minutes we were told it would take, it really spoils the immersion. In 24 I am so hooked in that I do check my watch to see the time on TV

Yeah well. You can't blame them. They might be in a different holographic world with considerably slower time during filming.

In spaceballs, when the ship is about to blow up, the countdown goes:

10, 9, 8, 6, and then the guys say, what happened to 7, then the computer says just kidding. it continues, then once it gets to 0 it says have a nice day instead of just blowing up.

In FF7: Advent Children, when Barret says Cloud has 10 minutes to fight Sephiroth, it is 10 minutes until they show him again. Cloud finishes off Sephiroth in 6. I was really happy about that.

I always count the timer to see if it matches up. I am ecstatic when it does.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Reminds me of the Boxing anime Hajime no Ippo
Whenever someones down, and the referee starts the count, it can go on for anything between 3-4 min, while the boxer who is down goes into flash-backs to gather mental strength to get back up.
DragonballZ was the master of this art, though. They could stretch time like no one else can.

Another thing that i have seen is most of the time bombs are defused in the last 3 seconds(especially the last).

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach