By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Timers in film piss me off

Pika-Bomb 2!

Pikachu Rap!

Pika to the Pi, To The Pi-Pi Pika, Hes a bad yellow pokemon, shoves thunder in your ass, go Pika, go Pika, PIKACHU!

Around the Network
Onyxmeth said:
scottie said:
Onyxmeth said:

I just got done watching Independence Day on TNT, and minus any other of the thousand little quirks in the movie, it really got me thinking about the thing I hate most about some movies. Why is it when a bomb is on a timer, or a sports game in a movie is running through it's final minutes and seconds, that time seems to slow considerably? Will Smith had 30 seconds on a timer to get out of that silly mothership before this nuke detonated. Approximately 1 min. 30 sec. later, the bomb explodes. Why? The timer is of your own creation movie makers! If you need a minute-thirty to get the scene rolling, then just make the timer for a minute-thirty! I think it becomes even more overbearing that now we have a show like 24 that manages to keep a running clock for 24 hours and doesn't miss a beat. Sports movies, action movies, anything with a timer.

Make. It. In. Real. Time.

Rant over. Thoughts and opinions?

In alot of cases the 1:30 shows what 3 different groups of people do in the 30s before the explosion

What movie is that? It sure isn't Independence Day. It took them over a minute just to get out of the ship, and the camera never cut to any other scene.

I haven't seen ID in years, so I'll take your word for it.

as for what movies/shows do it well, I can't remember, but whenever there is a timer in movies/tv I keep an eye on how much time each character spends.

If I remember any, I shall let you know

I believe the timer was spot on with TDK..not sure though

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Hmm, reminds me of an episode of Friends. One of the scenes during the credits at the end, Joey claimed that he could drink a gallon of milk in 10 seconds and it took like 30 seconds in total.

I hate the timers, too, but another annoying and frequent time paradox are those situations when, say, an F-16 is flying out-of-control towards the side of a building, and the ejector seat is malfunctioning. A quick cut of the camera shows 10 feet of space left before collision, then about a minute of the pilot messing the ejector seat, fixing it, then finally launching out by the time the airforce would have been reviewing the black box recordings.

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz
Around the Network

That always bothers me about movies/shows too.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Snesboy said:
In spaceballs, when the ship is about to blow up, the countdown goes:

10, 9, 8, 6, and then the guys say, what happened to 7, then the computer says just kidding. it continues, then once it gets to 0 it says have a nice day instead of just blowing up.

In FF7: Advent Children, when Barret says Cloud has 10 minutes to fight Sephiroth, it is 10 minutes until they show him again. Cloud finishes off Sephiroth in 6. I was really happy about that.

Spaceballs is a great movie, and I'd imagine that's in there as a parody of every other movie that does this stuff.

It bothers me too, to the point where I actually time things to see if they're actually right or not. Then, when they aren't, I get frustrated that they couldn't have just put in the right amount of time, and then I move on and never think of it again. =)

Armageddon, despite being one of my favourite films, is guilty of this.

The timer jumps from 44 seconds to 20 in about 3 quick shots, then goes from 7 to 0 in at least 12!

Michael bay, learn how to count!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

insomniac17 said:
Snesboy said:
In spaceballs, when the ship is about to blow up, the countdown goes:

10, 9, 8, 6, and then the guys say, what happened to 7, then the computer says just kidding. it continues, then once it gets to 0 it says have a nice day instead of just blowing up.

In FF7: Advent Children, when Barret says Cloud has 10 minutes to fight Sephiroth, it is 10 minutes until they show him again. Cloud finishes off Sephiroth in 6. I was really happy about that.

Spaceballs is a great movie, and I'd imagine that's in there as a parody of every other movie that does this stuff.

It bothers me too, to the point where I actually time things to see if they're actually right or not. Then, when they aren't, I get frustrated that they couldn't have just put in the right amount of time, and then I move on and never think of it again. =)

It's allowed because it isn't a serious movie.

Ya know, I hate this too, but there are 2 movies based on timers that I gotta let get away with it: Escape From New York and Escape From L.A. Timers are fucking nuts in those movies, but I can't stay mad at Snake or John Carpenter.