By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo: We Are Responsible For 99% Of Game Industry Growth In 2008

Could anyone find YOY figures to this thread between the three. I believe they should be published.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

If the rest of the industry only brought in $0.35 billion more than what they earned in 2007 and Nintendo made $3 billion more this year than last year then it isn't really spin at all, it's facts.

Is there something I'm missing here?

puffy said:
If the rest of the industry only brought in $0.35 billion more than what they earned in 2007 and Nintendo made $3 billion more this year than last year then it isn't really spin at all, it's facts.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Nope. :)

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

TWRoO said:

So Sony and MS put together were flat for Y.O.Y. revenue.

This. It is an awesome pie chart though.

I think the people who write Nintendo's post NPD response were bored and wanted to do something different than just copy-paste sales numbers.

Around the Network

@Puffy: If Sony and M$ were flat individually and Nintendo up, then there's no spin.
If Sony was down, M$ up and Nintendo up, then there's a spin, since two instances contributed to the growth.

Of course, this is a pretty standard way of looking at it, since all the companies make the spin.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Soleron said:
TWRoO said:

So Sony and MS put together were flat for Y.O.Y. revenue.

This. It is an awesome pie chart though.

Looks like something sdf would post.

Nintendo is saving gaming = confirmed!

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NJ5 said:
This statistic looks misleading to me... There could actually be two companies "responsible for 99% of the industry growth" if they're calculating the way I think they are.

Company A, B and C. In 2007 they sell 200, 100, 100. In 2008 company A goes out of business and they sell 0, 400, 400 (industry growth was 400).

Woah, both company B and C are responsible for 75% of the industry growth!

I think they have the revenue for products non related to Nintendo systems and the revenue tied to Nintendo systems for both 2007 and 2008.

The YoY revenue ( or like MS would say "consumer spent dollars" )  for products non related to Nintendo systems is basically flat while the YoY revenue for products tied to Ninendo systems has seen a growth of about 19%.

Then we can check the profits for the major gaming company and see who is making the big bucks

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

bdbdbd said:
@NJ5: I believe this is to show for third parties.

Which way do you think they calculated it? I believe they took their own growth away from the overall growth. Sony went down, but what kind of growth M$ had?

What kind of growth Microsoft had?  They had no growth.

Nintendo's responsible is speaking in term of revenue.  Microsoft cut the price of their console, they probably decreased the revenue they had.