By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo: We Are Responsible For 99% Of Game Industry Growth In 2008

Groucho said:

Nintendo flexes... kisses biceps. "Gamers" applaud!

so Nintendo is This dude?

http://www.accelerator3359.com/Wrestling/pictures/ssteiner4.jpg

Around the Network

I'd argue if they should be using word "game" in that statement, Now if they replaced it with "gimmick" it would be much closer to truth :D

But more seriously ps3 increased 40% YOY, x360 sold some crazy numbers and nintendo claims they generated 99% of growth ? LoL.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

I dunno maybe 95%.......
No one can honestly debate this too much though. Sony/MS didnt get millions of new people to buy their consoles like the Wii. Growth yes not overall sales which some people might misinterpret on this thread.

Take 5:
To repeat, talk like this is part of the requirements of executives in their roles to spin like this. So, it is good to not be shocked when you see it happen.

NJ5 is correct.

The total industry growth (in the USA, in $US) was $3.35 billion over 2007.

Nintendo's own growth was $3.31 billion.

The combined growth of the rest of the industry was tiny.

----------------

The thing is, a number of other companies could have produced the same chart forthemselves.... In Nintendo's chart it is perfectly feasable that Activision had a growth of maybe $500mil - $1bil.... but that growth is hidden in that 1% because all companies minus Ninty and Activision made a loss equal to that of Activisions gains.

If Activision made the chart for themselves, they could in fact claim to make up 30% of industry growth.... It certainly is not as hilarious a pie chart though.

---------

Check out this scenario for instance.

Total industry growth - $3.35 billion
Nintendo Growth - $3.31 billion

Activ'/Blizz' growth - $0.8 billion
Microsoft growth - $0.5 billion
Elect'Arts decline - $0.3 billion
Sony decline - $1 billion

So Nintendo "makes up" 99% of growth, but Activision-Blizzard can still "make up" 25% of growth too, but when you lump them all together, they cancel each other out.

Around the Network

99%....sounds like BS to me.

PREDICTIONS:
(Predicted on 5/31/11) END of 2011 Sales - Xbox 360 = 62M;  PS3 = 59M;  Wii = 97M

Zlejedi said:
I'd argue if they should be using word "game" in that statement, Now if they replaced it with "gimmick" it would be much closer to truth :D

But more seriously ps3 increased 40% YOY, x360 sold some crazy numbers and nintendo claims they generated 99% of growth ? LoL.

First of all read my post above this.

Second of all, I think Sony is likely one of the companies who had a decline in revenue from 2007-2008. Yes they sold more PS3s this year, but PS3s were $100-200 more expensive for much of 2007. Also there is the decline in PS2 hardware and software, which will be perhaps the main factor in declining revenues.

TWRoO said:
NJ5 is correct.

The total industry growth (in the USA, in $US) was $3.35 billion over 2007.

Nintendo's own growth was $3.31 billion.

The combined growth of the rest of the industry was tiny.

----------------

The thing is, a number of other companies could have produced the same chart forthemselves.... In Nintendo's chart it is perfectly feasable that Activision had a growth of maybe $500mil - $1bil.... but that growth is hidden in that 1% because all companies minus Ninty and Activision made a loss equal to that of Activisions gains.

If Activision made the chart for themselves, they could in fact claim to make up 30% of industry growth.... It certainly is not as hilarious a pie chart though.

---------

Check out this scenario for instance.

Total industry growth - $3.35 billion
Nintendo Growth - $3.31 billion

Activ'/Blizz' growth - $0.8 billion
Microsoft growth - $0.5 billion
Elect'Arts decline - $0.3 billion
Sony decline - $1 billion

So Nintendo "makes up" 99% of growth, but Activision-Blizzard can still "make up" 25% of growth too, but when you lump them all together, they cancel each other out.

Well, Nintendo is talking about their platforms revenue, so third party developers are already a part of these numbers.

Of course it is still a misleading statistic, unless Microsoft and Sony both saw almost zero growth in 2008. In that case the pie chart gives a pretty decent picture on the revenue development for all 3 hardware manufacturers.

Ah, I hadn't noticed that... so it is in fact, purely between the big three.

So Sony and MS put together were flat for Y.O.Y. revenue.

Squilliam said:
Its a pretty hard sell considering that all major consoles saw significant increases in their install base...

They did? NPD said 360 sales were flat, and while PS3 sales were up overall, it wasn't "significant" by any strethch of the imagination.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!