By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official December NPD 2008 Thread

Just realized....

Prince of Persia

Mirrors Edge

Resistance 2

Tomb Raider

Bombs? I think R2 did a few numbers at least last month but ME POP and TR are definitely not making back their budgets, no way no how.

Around the Network
BengaBenga said:
Esa-Petteri said:

Yeah, it is pretty clear. Ninty did not sell everything it shipped. Omg!

Don't push it! That's a warning.

Wii was sold out in the US in December, therefore shipped = sold and Nintendo will release its shipment figures January 29th. It's not that hard to understand.

Whoa. How could I have been so dumb that I could believe NPD and not a random guy on internet. Damn, sorry about that. Anyway we haven't seen those shipped figures yet, maybe they will match npd numbers.

Esa-Petteri said:
BengaBenga said:
Esa-Petteri said:

Wii was sold out in the US in December, therefore shipped = sold and Nintendo will release its shipment figures January 29th. It's not that hard to understand.

Whoa. How could I have been so dumb that I could believe NPD and not a random guy on internet. Damn, sorry about that. Anyway we haven't seen those shipped figures yet, maybe they will match npd numbers.

This is just statistics.

Consumer demand trends indicate that if x console sells y amount in November it will sell 1.5y in December. This is always, always, always true, especially for lead consoles, save for when they are limited by supply.

In order for the NPD's numbers to not be explainable by limited supply, it would mean that the Wii's demand would have to drop off at a level nearly unprecedented in the history of the industry, or any industry. Death in demand for a leading console is a slow thing, something which occurs over a period of years, not weeks.

Edit: Well I guess you can read what I'm saying even if you can't respond.

Esa-Petteri said:
BengaBenga said:
Esa-Petteri said:

So what are you doing here?

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

On a completely different note, does Circuit City provide data to NPD and does anybody know how big their marketshare in the games business is?

Around the Network

Wow, Need for Speed absolutely flopped. How the mighty have fallen...

With the PS2 falling off, and more 'quality' Wii titles out in '09 - it could be a very ugly year for Sony platforms (in the US that is).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

wow, even though NDP was a bit lower than expected on Wii hardware, OMG at softs, 9 out of the top 20... And the US is where the Wii get strong software sales resistance from the 360...

Also only 6 out of the top 20 are HD titles... sad really, seems COD is the only surefire thing HD these days. Also great for left 4 dead, I like seeing good titles get rewarded.

Also to add about the Wii HW stuff. I think that NDP undertracked it a bit due to reasons discussed, and VGC overtracked it due to underestimating shortages. I think fiscals will show it closer to 2.6 mil, remember last year the Wii was much more supply constrained, and it had a larger jump between Nov and Dec.

Also, thank goodness for COD Wii, I was so tired of hearing that flopped when I knew it did not. I have been calling this for a good while. Ok so I was .500 this NDP, I was wrong on the Wii HW and right on COD...

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

@shams

what!

its 1 million + on both Ps3 & 360

and thats a shame cus its soooooo bad!!!!!!!!!!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

BengaBenga said:

I definetely wouldn't say that. I highly doubt that the shipments that were made later in the year (past Christmas) actually made it to stores. Making it to the companies distribution centers counts as a sale for any of the big three.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Poor PS3. It's like watching a leper run a marathon. Sure, there are some points where things are looking up and then "oops", another body part falls off.

"Man is born free but is everywhere in chains" - Rousseau