By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official December NPD 2008 Thread

Bahaha... the cake is the truth.

Around the Network

I wonder what that 1% consists of?

FishyJoe said:

Everyone else.

Eh, I dunno. Activision? December was the strongest month Guitar Hero has ever had as a brand.

Wait which one does Guitar Hero again? I keep forgetting. Whoever it is, it might be them.

FishyJoe said:

Statistical noise, mostly.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Remember the pie chart will include revenue loss.

So those companies that lost money in 2008 compared to 2007 will be dragging all the rest down.... this is clever spin from Nintendo. In fact the first proper spin I have seen from theie NPD responses in a while, I thought their PR team was getting lazy.

It's possible (it won't be true by a long shot but using only the pie chart I am saying what is possible) that a 2nd company actually contributed more growth than Nintendo.... but if a third company posted a loss equal to the 2nd companies growth, then it cancels out when you lump the companies together.

Around the Network
TWRoO said:

So those companies that lost money in 2008 compared to 2007 will be dragging all the rest down.... this is clever spin from Nintendo.

It's possible (it won't be true by a long shot but using only the pie chart I am saying what is possible) that a 2nd company actually contributed more growth than Nintendo.... but if a third company posted a loss equal to the 2nd companies growth, then it cancels out when you lump the companies together.

....That is the most terrifying effective spin I've ever seen.

fanboys need to accept that the Wii and ds are shitting on everything unless its has "nintendo" on it.

you guys have had your time in the light (except microsoft fanboys) so let nintendo enjoy it while its around..
geeeeess

hello how are you.

Khuutra said:
TWRoO said:

So those companies that lost money in 2008 compared to 2007 will be dragging all the rest down.... this is clever spin from Nintendo.

....That is the most terrifying effective spin I've ever seen.

It's very clever spin, in that it very effectively hides all the other companies growth/loss.

For instance if the sum growth of all "other" companies was slightly less (ie a sum loss) then Nintendo could have posted a pie chart with them being 100% of growth.... in fact they would be 100% of growth, and then some (negating the sum loss of the others before making even more)

CMoney said:
Everybody fighting over ps3 and xbox 360 numbers need to relax, because those aren't the numbers sony is concerned about.

The 60% drop is ps2 sales is what is killing sony right now because they make a profit on the ps2 hardware.
When they released the ps3 they assumed the ps2 would gradually decrease in slaes and the ps3 would continuously and gradually increase.
Thats hasn't been the case, and now there is a HUGE gap between the ps2 AND ps3 sales. The ps3 is not filling the financial void left by the ps2's huge decrease.

Considering the poor economy the ps2 sales should have been marginally higher than 400,000.

Recap - ps3 sales are not bad, but with the console still losing money and no ps2 cash cow, sony is in trouble.

I think this is why Microsoft released the Arcade and cut its price to $200. Not to hurt PS3 or Wii, but to take sales away from PS2.

"You can never jump away from Conclusions. Getting back is not so easy. That's why we're so terribly crowded here."

Canby - The Phantom Tollbooth

* More 3rd party units were sold for Wii than any other home consoles in December for the 2nd consecutive month.

And Microsoft will still say that 3rd party revenue was higher on the 360... because that's what matters... (Borat voice) Not.

dolemit3 said:

Statistical noise, mostly.

Hahhahahaha.

@TWRoO - That is kind of interesting the think about, but it hardly does anything to point Nintendo was making (or one of the points) - Nintendo's revenue grew by 3.35 billion in 2008, and we all know that a lot of that will be profit, which most other companies (whether they experienced revenue growth or not) will either not see profit, or see much much... MUCH lower profit.