By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 2K: Wii market is “flooded by crappy titles”

HappySqurriel said:
dib8rman said:
Is Carnival games really that bad? I never bought it but it's sold very well... meaning someone bought it.. and bought a lot of it.

2k shouldn't complain it means they aren't innovating - innovators don't complain; they take all copy cats as a challenger and innovate again... Copy cats complain when they don't know who to copy anymore.

What has me at a loss, is that Nintendo makes Dogs that sells a lot and they make a Zelda that sells a lot - so then Ubi makes Dogz but then no one thinks of making a Zeldaz what the heck is this?

Oh well, the expanded market is the target now eh?

I haven't played Carnival games but have heard it is a lot of fun when playing with 3 friends ...

I wouldn't be surprised if Carnival Games is bashed so heavily because games like Wario Ware, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Party and Mario and Sonic at the Olympics have better minigames and are more polished ... At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if Carnival games was selling so well because it worked better in groups than some of those games; turn based multiplayer isn't much fun, and games like Mario Party take a long time to play because of the "Board Game" portion of the minigame.

The definition of mini game is retarded. M&S is not a mini game collectin. Is Beijing 2008 a mini game collection? no it isnt so why is M&S, because its got cartoon animals. Thats a ridiculous argument.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network
Snesboy said:
dib8rman said:
Is Carnival games really that bad? I never bought it but it's sold very well... meaning someone bought it.. and bought a lot of it.

2k shouldn't complain it means they aren't innovating - innovators don't complain; they take all copy cats as a challenger and innovate again... Copy cats complain when they don't know who to copy anymore.

What has me at a loss, is that Nintendo makes Dogs that sells a lot and they make a Zelda that sells a lot - so then Ubi makes Dogz but then no one thinks of making a Zeldaz what the heck is this?

I once saw a women who appeared to be in her 40's buy a copy of "Game Party" for Wii at an EB Games. Not only did I cringe, but the employee at the register looked as if he was holding back a look of disgust. I could tell it was hurting him to actually sell that miserable piece of crap.

That sounds pretty judgemental to me. The game has sold based on word of mouth, which means that what the consumers wanted from the game, they got. We shouldn't judge people simply because they are looking for a different set of values in a game than we are.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Demotruk said:
Snesboy said:
dib8rman said:

I once saw a women who appeared to be in her 40's buy a copy of "Game Party" for Wii at an EB Games. Not only did I cringe, but the employee at the register looked as if he was holding back a look of disgust. I could tell it was hurting him to actually sell that miserable piece of crap.

That sounds pretty judgemental to me. The game has sold based on word of mouth, which means that what the consumers wanted from the game, they got. We shouldn't judge people simply because they are looking for a different set of values in a game than we are.

It is. I agree, I never saw any ads for it on TV or anywhere else. Maybe in Nintendo Power, but that doesn't count.

dib8rman said:

The answer is obvious isn't it?  First they haven't got the talent to make anything remotely close to Zelda without copying every single puzzle, theme, etc.  Secondly even if they tried it would be pretty rubbish when it stands next to Zelda.  Of course Dogz may be rubbish next to Nintendogs but at least its development cost wouldn't be anything close to as much as that of a Zelda clone and on top of that they are trying to sell the game to people that just won't know any better.  The potential buyers of the Zelda clone would of course know the game sucks compared to Zelda and realise they are much much better off getting the real deal.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

dib8rman said:
Is Carnival games really that bad?

No, it's not, and as one of the few people in the thread who actually have the damn game I'm sick of people using it as some sort of poster child of "bad" games that sell on the Wii.

It is not an ambitious game, nor is amazing by any standard. It does one thing, and does it well. It recreates common carnival and fair games on the Wii. It's colorful, easy to play and understand, doesn't demand you unlock half the games, has virtually no load times, and came at a budget price. It probably could be better, but it's well made and easy to play.

If it was awful game, it wouldn't keep selling a year and a half later and be at about 3 million by now. If people didn't like it, it wouldn't average 4/5 stars from customers on Amazon.com, while it's imitators Shrek's Carnival Craze and Circus Games are discounted and have terrible customer reviews.

Someone said in this thread people don't like it because it's not any good, not because of what it is. Okay, what could Cat Daddy Games done to make this a better Carnival Game collection? Controls on some of the game could have been better, like the frog toss. Better customization your character would have been nice. Some kind of interaction with your prizes would also been a welcome addition, like the Toys in Wario Ware Touched.

Aside from that, it's a solid collection of entertaining Carnival inspired mini-games that are generally well tailored to the Wii Remote. If you don't like the idea of playing carnival games on your Wii, that's fine, but don't expect something else from a game called Carnival Games. It's never pretended to do anything else, it was never advertised as something other then virtual fair games you can play on the Wii.

Around the Network

Demotruk:

"By and large, the mini-game compilation strategy has failed. Some of them became word-of-mouth breakaway successes, but the vast majority have been sales failures."

I totally disagree with that statement. Most of the compilations have been made on such a small budget that they prolly break-even at 100-200k selling as low as $30. Basicly the box art bait strategy. There is a complete difference in making something to be sold and something to be actually used. These birdman "droppings" are complete marketing ploys.

dib8rman said:

I wonder the same thing.  If Carnival Games was competently done, and people enjoyed it, why complain about it?  Also, depends on the definition of "Crappy".  Does it mean not offbeat, or does it mean poorly done?

dib8trman says:

"so then Ubi makes Dogz but then no one thinks of making a Zeldaz what the heck is this?"

okami says hi.

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=47568

brawl friendcode - 3823-8201-9151

mario kart wii friendcode - 0387-9491-4552

PM me if you add me plz.

150vg$ bet(with haggy) mk wii 2009 worldwide sales > any 360/ps3 game released in 2009.

current mk wii worldwide sales (jan 9th): 553k

I am not confused about a game being crappy (not buying it) and a game being awesome and buying it. Sorry 2k I have more brains to pick out titles that I prefer or consider quality then get confused with a bunch of crap. Maybe if this was the NES days with no telling how a game really is then this would make since but nowadays there is tons of information on any game.

You know what is happening, third parties are left twittling their thumbs and wondering why they are seeing so much red. The idea that Wii is in a different market or not being able to compete with Nintendo products, casual and hardcore gamers, its all non sensical talking points coined by third parties baffled by Wii's success. As many have already stated this situation is NO different than that of the PS1 or PS2 of the past.

What is funny is that while they continue to bitch, moan and complain, Nintendo continues to rake in the dough, while they continue losing the dough. Third parties will become dependent on Nintendo for financial survival, alot of them are already in that situation.

This guy can say what he wants, I can really care less. 2K is a perpetrator of putting crap on Wii, so unless they are taking steps to improve their quality, then he can really just shut he F* up.

If I were a shareholder, I'd be pist seeing diminishing returns and half assed support for the clear market leader of the generation.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.