By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 2K: Wii market is “flooded by crappy titles”

The Wii's library on average does suck. The problem is that the birdman strategy has found some success the past two years. That means more of the same until the shelves are neck high in shitty mini-Wii Sports imitators. This could be a Atari 2600 situation (not exactly, 'cause Nintendo themselves provide at least some quality) if things don't change soon. The casual market isn't going to thrive if it gets constantly dumped on.

I'll give 2K some credit, at least Carnival Games was going in a slighty different direction at the time with it's theme.

Around the Network

By and large, the mini-game compilation strategy has failed. Some of them became word-of-mouth breakaway successes, but the vast majority have been sales failures.

Of course, licensed shovelware has continued to sell, as it always does on the lead platform.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Esa-Petteri said:

Games which are easy and accessible aren't crap. Carnival games/mario&sonic for example are great games for the wii. Not to mention wii sports, wii play, wii music, wii fit and mario kart wii. People are just being too snob and not considering that the wii demographics are a bit different than for the other consoles. There is nothing wrong with being a bit different.

@Oyvoyvvoy

Why would 360 numbers be flawed? Just show them, I want to see. ;D

No, hold it right there!

M&S, Wii Play, Wii Music, Wii Sports, Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii all differ from carnival games in that they don't suck. Carnival games isn't criticised because its a casual game, it's just not a good game for anyone.

and to respond to your trolling (bolded)

I love how you try to pass Mario Kart off as a casual title so that Halo 3 can be the best selling 'real' game this gen

and yeah, the countless other Wii core gaming success's all say hi.

Is Carnival games really that bad? I never bought it but it's sold very well... meaning someone bought it.. and bought a lot of it.

2k shouldn't complain it means they aren't innovating - innovators don't complain; they take all copy cats as a challenger and innovate again... Copy cats complain when they don't know who to copy anymore.

What has me at a loss, is that Nintendo makes Dogs that sells a lot and they make a Zelda that sells a lot - so then Ubi makes Dogz but then no one thinks of making a Zeldaz what the heck is this?

Oh well, the expanded market is the target now eh?

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

It sold based on word of mouth. Thus, whatever we think of it, it met the demands of it's consumers. As these consumers buy play more games, we can expect their standards to increase, so don't worry about things like Carnival Games. They will only do well again if they're of better quality.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network
dib8rman said:
Is Carnival games really that bad? I never bought it but it's sold very well... meaning someone bought it.. and bought a lot of it.

2k shouldn't complain it means they aren't innovating - innovators don't complain; they take all copy cats as a challenger and innovate again... Copy cats complain when they don't know who to copy anymore.

What has me at a loss, is that Nintendo makes Dogs that sells a lot and they make a Zelda that sells a lot - so then Ubi makes Dogz but then no one thinks of making a Zeldaz what the heck is this?

Thing is Nintendo is doing too many different things for third partys to keep copying.

""Dog simulators?  Quick roll out ...wait Sports games?  Quick make more spo...Fitness training?  Quick make more fitn....MUSIC GAMES?""

With also there more traditional games its easy to see why there doing well, because there releasing more of the same games that are saturating the market.

so then Ubi makes Dogz but then no one thinks of making a Zeldaz what the heck is this?

The difference is that Zelda costs a fortune to develop because its a huge game. It also has a very big franchise bonus.
Dogs on the other hand can be programmed by the drunken stepson of the janitor, so copying it is much less risky.

dib8rman said:

I haven't played Carnival games but have heard it is a lot of fun when playing with 3 friends ...

I wouldn't be surprised if Carnival Games is bashed so heavily because games like Wario Ware, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Party and Mario and Sonic at the Olympics have better minigames and are more polished ... At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if Carnival games was selling so well because it worked better in groups than some of those games; turn based multiplayer isn't much fun, and games like Mario Party take a long time to play because of the "Board Game" portion of the minigame.

scottie said:
Esa-Petteri said:

Games which are easy and accessible aren't crap. Carnival games/mario&sonic for example are great games for the wii. Not to mention wii sports, wii play, wii music, wii fit and mario kart wii. People are just being too snob and not considering that the wii demographics are a bit different than for the other consoles. There is nothing wrong with being a bit different.

@Oyvoyvvoy

Why would 360 numbers be flawed? Just show them, I want to see. ;D

No, hold it right there!

M&S, Wii Play, Wii Music, Wii Sports, Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii all differ from carnival games in that they don't suck. Carnival games isn't criticised because its a casual game, it's just not a good game for anyone.

and to respond to your trolling (bolded)

I love how you try to pass Mario Kart off as a casual title so that Halo 3 can be the best selling 'real' game this gen

and yeah, the countless other Wii core gaming success's all say hi.

Hey, that is your opinion. You can love even the carnival game, it is all good. Carnival games must have been good for a lot of people, since it has sold almost 3 million. How can you disagree with that? People recommend that game to other people because they like that game.

Now why on earth would I give a crap if your beloved mario kart has sold more than my halo-darling? :D Did I mention halo 3 somewhere or why are you saying dumb things like that?

dib8rman said:

I once saw a women who appeared to be in her 40's buy a copy of "Game Party" for Wii at an EB Games. Not only did I cringe, but the employee at the register looked as if he was holding back a look of disgust. I could tell it was hurting him to actually sell that miserable piece of crap.