By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MP3 vs Bioshock: reviews

Yes, but the people you quoted were talking about MP3.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Around the Network

no game should get a 10/10 for every game has little flaws , that's why I distrust all those sites that shell out 10/10s like hotcakes .. those rating just don't have any weight to me

Lafiel said:
no game should get a 10/10 for every game has little flaws , that's why I distrust all those sites that shell out 10/10s like hotcakes .. those rating just don't have any weight to me

A score of 10/10 doesn't necessarily imply perfection, just superlatively high quality. 

Metroid Prime 3 will be just as good, but will get lower average review scores due to many sites and reviewers hating it because of it's wii controlsss.

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

PlagueOfLocust said:
Soriku said:
Bioshock = 15 hrs

But I say Bio'll get a better score overall.

It may only take you 15 hours to beat, but the replay value is unprecedented. You can play the game over and over and experience a different 15hrs every time, so it's more like 15hrs*x, where x is an integer between 1 and infinity. For the record, my total play-time will probably have x closer to infinity than 1 in the equation.

Sorry but you can play absolutely any game infinity times if you are inclined to do so. I can play Tetris over and over and experience a different 5 minuntes every time, so...

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
I'd rather trust a professional critic than thousands of gamers, to be honest, because fans tend to set a game's score offbalance.

See RottenTomatoes vs. IMDB movie scores. I trust RottenTomatoes usually, because it's professional critics' words. IMDB voters are usually big fans and just put "10/10" without thinking.

I'd rather trust a professional critic too, but unfortunately there are no professional critics for video games. Game magazines really scrape the bottom of the barrel in their hiring. I wouldn't trust these guys to review anything more complicated than socks.

"Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" -- Daffy Duck
Lafiel said:

I agree wholeheartedly.  The only real flaw in the game that I can tell is that the textures don't hold up to "face against the wall" inspection.  That's the unreal engine, though.  Interestingly, if you look at PGR, you could walk around the garage looking at cars... As you got close to stone or wood walls, you could see the grain of the wood or the grout and stone detail.  Even if you pressed your face against the wall, the textures held up beatufilly well and looked very realistic.  Obvoiusly this isn't an important point in the game as it has nothing to do with actual gameplay.

In Bioshock, the textures and graphics are all absolutely exceptional.  My jaw remained on the floor throughout the demo.  However, when inspecting *some* areas up very close, the textures were blown up to much and were grainy.

Honestly, this is the only flaw I can find in the game so far if you are inclined to call such a thing a flaw.  For that I'd only give it a 9.9 instead of a 10. 

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Ill say Bioshock will get higher reivews probably averaging out 9.6-9.8 on gamestats/metacritic. Metriod Prime 3 is going to be good as well.

Non Sequor said:
BenKenobi88 said:
I'd rather trust a professional critic than thousands of gamers, to be honest, because fans tend to set a game's score offbalance.

See RottenTomatoes vs. IMDB movie scores. I trust RottenTomatoes usually, because it's professional critics' words. IMDB voters are usually big fans and just put "10/10" without thinking.

I'd rather trust a professional critic too, but unfortunately there are no professional critics for video games. Game magazines really scrape the bottom of the barrel in their hiring. I wouldn't trust these guys to review anything more complicated than socks.

I have to ask, what exactly makes a professional critic and why do you feel there are none in videogames?  Some magazines have been around for over 25 years (like EGM) and their reviews are very well respected, yet you're putting those people that work there down along with many others because in your opinion they aren't professional critics?  Some of these people write for Time, Newsweek, etc and do spots on tv channels such as CNN yet they're not professional in your opinion?

opcode said:
PlagueOfLocust said:
Soriku said:
Bioshock = 15 hrs

But I say Bio'll get a better score overall.

It may only take you 15 hours to beat, but the replay value is unprecedented. You can play the game over and over and experience a different 15hrs every time, so it's more like 15hrs*x, where x is an integer between 1 and infinity. For the record, my total play-time will probably have x closer to infinity than 1 in the equation.

Sorry but you can play absolutely any game infinity times if you are inclined to do so. I can play Tetris over and over and experience a different 5 minuntes every time, so...

I'm sorry, but you're absolutely wrong. Yes, you can play any game you want infinity times if you're inclined to do so, but that does not mean it's a new experience every time. Tetris is an example of a game that would be nothing without high-replay value. But pointing out Tetris as your example for this argument is like saying "I saw a black cat; I conclude that all cats are black." Tetris has very high replay value, but I can name a rediculous number of games that have little to no replay value, which would not be a new experience every time. Tetris IS a new experience every time, due to the random block generator and the effect of player choice when it comes to positioning pieces. Bioshock is the same, due to randomly-placed enemies, situational variances with each game, and player choice when it comes to choosing how to customize your abilities and how to utilize them in a given situation.

I didn't say I wouldn't play linear or "the-same-game-each-time-you-play" games more than once, but I would be getting the same experience (which is okay, but you'd have to really have liked the game the first time to play it again, since there's nothing new to be had). Playing a game again because there are new approaches/content available is different from playing a game again because there's something about that single experience which you loved. And either way, you're guaranteed to get far more replay value out of the former type of game than the latter.

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."   -C.S. Lewis

"We all make choices... but in the end, our choices... make us."   -Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Prediction: Wii passes 360 in US between July - September 2008. (Wii supply will be the issue to watch, and barring any freak incidents between now and then as well.) - 6/5/08; Wow, came true even earlier. Wii is a monster.