By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MP3 vs Bioshock: reviews

Metroid prime 1 for Gamecube got like what?! 9.3-9.7?!

Edit: Great battle this is gonna be indeed! But it doesnt matter... 9.2 versus 9.4 for example, whats the freakin difference?!

THE NETHERLANDS

Around the Network
Arkk said:
kn said:
allstarr35 said:
kn said:
I haven't seen anything from MP3 yet (in terms of a playable demo) but I have played bioshock. It is amazing. MP3 is going to have to bring some serious heat to even match the game's overall appeal. The game, from playing the demo, has it all -- graphics, sound, atmosphere, art direction, innovation in gameplay, on and on.... I'm a single player fiend so the lack of multiplayer means zero to.

That said, I'm hoping MP3 dispenses with the wandering around puzzle nature of the game and brings a fresh approach to the series that is much more linear and FPS oriented and shows 3rd parties how good a FPS can be on the Wii.

good luck with that happening cuz it's not it a back tracking game at heart........ get over it

I'm not sure I understand your comment, but I'll take it as this: good luck MP3 dispenses with the puzzle/explore nature because it is a back-tracking game at heart. Get over it. Is that what you meant? If so, I don't need to "get over it" -- I just won't buy it as it isn't my type of game. Instead, I'll wait on other FPS shooters to come along. It's callled personal choice. Get over it.

If either of you took the time to read any previews on the game, you would have seen that it states that there is a much heavier emphasis on combat this time around. I'm sure there will be puzzles and the whole lot, but the combat is going to be a focal point.

I don't think there are really going to many if any real puzzles in the game (if they are it's going to be flip the switch to open the door over there type of not-really-puzzle puzzles) since deciding how you want to go about playing and what method you should use to get past an encounter is the real puzzle element in this game.

Soriku said:
Bioshock = 15 hrs

But I say Bio'll get a better score overall.

It may only take you 15 hours to beat, but the replay value is unprecedented. You can play the game over and over and experience a different 15hrs every time, so it's more like 15hrs*x, where x is an integer between 1 and infinity. For the record, my total play-time will probably have x closer to infinity than 1 in the equation.

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."   -C.S. Lewis

"We all make choices... but in the end, our choices... make us."   -Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Prediction: Wii passes 360 in US between July - September 2008. (Wii supply will be the issue to watch, and barring any freak incidents between now and then as well.) - 6/5/08; Wow, came true even earlier. Wii is a monster.

If Bioshock really has 60, or 80, or however many plasmids they said there would be...it could very well be GOTY...it's so AMAZING!

I'm definitely throwing a Bioshock party, 50s style, when it comes out.

Metroid will be amazing too...just a totally different game...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

"I don't think there are really going to many if any real puzzles in the game (if they are it's going to be flip the switch to open the door over there type of not-really-puzzle puzzles) since deciding how you want to go about playing and what method you should use to get past an encounter is the real puzzle element in this game. "

No. There are proper puzzles in the game, like aligning rings using special controls or complicated shifting mazes. For instance, in MP1, there were slots you had to Boost Ball in that rotated sections of a large column with magnetic tracks up with. When you aligned them, the tracks led to a new slot and you had to be careful not to misalign or you'd have to start over. That's a puzzle.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Around the Network

its not objective ever those reviews. i dont trust them anynmore from any site anyway.

its still 1 person who reviews it, and lets say ill look up 10 numbers starrs % etc it still are 10 persons. most likely persons who are specialiced in 1 console so they should love that console otherwise they wont review thousands of games.
so the numbers are anyway to high. if you like it you like. even it got an 5.4 i can still enjoy it while a 9.6 could be horrible.

besides those games cant be compared. its just a waste of forum space. better compare mp1 mp2 and mp3 togehter.

life isn't complicated, just face it simple.

kn said:
I haven't seen anything from MP3 yet (in terms of a playable demo) but I have played bioshock. It is amazing. MP3 is going to have to bring some serious heat to even match the game's overall appeal. The game, from playing the demo, has it all -- graphics, sound, atmosphere, art direction, innovation in gameplay, on and on.... I'm a single player fiend so the lack of multiplayer means zero to.

That said, I'm hoping MP3 dispenses with the wandering around puzzle nature of the game and brings a fresh approach to the series that is much more linear and FPS oriented and shows 3rd parties how good a FPS can be on the Wii.

The "wandering around" and "puzzle" nature of the game? See, I might call that the "exploration" and "intelligent" nature of the game. If you want a game that's "linear" and "FPS oriented," as opposed to "open-ended" and "new and interesting," pick up almost any other shooter out there; Metroid isn't for you. Just because the series switched over to a FPS view and combat system doesn't mean the series should also be stripped of everything that set it apart from other FPS games in the first place.

If you couldn't tell, I'd be pissed royally if they did what you're suggesting.

(@twesterm - I think you were referring to Bioshock; they were talking about MP3.)

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."   -C.S. Lewis

"We all make choices... but in the end, our choices... make us."   -Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Prediction: Wii passes 360 in US between July - September 2008. (Wii supply will be the issue to watch, and barring any freak incidents between now and then as well.) - 6/5/08; Wow, came true even earlier. Wii is a monster.

I'd rather trust a professional critic than thousands of gamers, to be honest, because fans tend to set a game's score offbalance.

See RottenTomatoes vs. IMDB movie scores. I trust RottenTomatoes usually, because it's professional critics' words. IMDB voters are usually big fans and just put "10/10" without thinking.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
I'd rather trust a professional critic than thousands of gamers, to be honest, because fans tend to set a game's score offbalance.

See RottenTomatoes vs. IMDB movie scores. I trust RottenTomatoes usually, because it's professional critics' words. IMDB voters are usually big fans and just put "10/10" without thinking.

There's something to be said for the wisdom of crowds, though. I put my faith in larger sample sizes.

Game_boy said:
"I don't think there are really going to many if any real puzzles in the game (if they are it's going to be flip the switch to open the door over there type of not-really-puzzle puzzles) since deciding how you want to go about playing and what method you should use to get past an encounter is the real puzzle element in this game. "

No. There are proper puzzles in the game, like aligning rings using special controls or complicated shifting mazes. For instance, in MP1, there were slots you had to Boost Ball in that rotated sections of a large column with magnetic tracks up with. When you aligned them, the tracks led to a new slot and you had to be careful not to misalign or you'd have to start over. That's a puzzle.

I was talking about Bioshock.