Lost tears of Kain said:
naznatips said:

Bioshock is actually currently 4th all time on gamerankings:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 97.7%
2. Soul Calibur 96.4%
3. Metroid Prime 96.3%
4. BioShock 96.1%
5. Resident Evil 4 (GC) 95.8%

The Edge review has yet to be applied to it's listing. When it is, the game will drop to 5th below Resident Evil 4, with a score of 95.7%. This wager is certainly not over for Metroid Prime 3. For a while there it was looking like Bioshock had it won without any competition, but MP3 could really give it a run for it's money.

http://gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp?itemname=

im rather curious, but not only on bioshock, but usually on most games, the lower ranking scores (for high ranking games that is) they usually come after all the high scores, is it so they get more attention? I really am curious ive seen it a few times before not just on bioshock

No, I don't think it's for attention. I think it's because those reviewers who are more critical and less forgiving of flaws spend a lot of time with the game before they feel comfortable reviewing it. The 10s (and very very VERY few games should ever be given 10s realistically) seem to be tossed out first, because those are the reviewers who were most easily impressed. Edge always reviews late, and I think that's because of their attention to detail. It's true that this game is very good, but it's also true that there are valid reasons to rate it lower than a 10 (lots of them). The main one, and likely the one that upset Edge, is the Vita Chambers making the game too easy.

Take a look at Play Magazine for example. They have reviewed every one of these not-so-well recieved recent PS3 games with a 10 or a 9. They are also ALWAYS the first one to review the game. As more and more reviews come out they are always more critical and less forgiving of flaws. Either way, 5th best game of all time is nothing to scoff at. I'm very interested to see how Metroid Prime 3 stacks up, but the 1UP previewer (Shane) seemed to dislike even the very idea of the game before going into it, and his preview reflected that. I have no doubt that if Shane reviews that game it will be scored below a 9. IGN couldn't seem to find a flaw in their preview, so I expect theirs to be at least a 9.5. Gamespot is always a mystery. It really depends on who they have review the game. Nintendo Power already gave out a 10, which although they don't do very often, we have to remember that it IS Nintendo Power and this is the biggest new Wii IP yet.  Of course one could argue that that means their expectations were even higher, as was the potential for disappointment.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
Androo said:
Matt of IGN said that one of the competing websites [Gamespot/1UP] will give the game an 8/8.5. *cries*

Wouldn't really be surprised of 1UP, but where did you see that?

Well, considering the fact that the preview of 1up was just a piece of crap it wouldn't be to surprising to see it receive a "low" score from them. If the review is written in the way the preview is it will prove though that 1up just doesn't get the whole concept of the Wii, is biased against the Wii and should never be taken serious again as a source for anything wii related.

koffieboon said:

Well, considering the fact that the preview of 1up was just a piece of crap it wouldn't be to surprising to see it receive a "low" score from them. If the review is written in the way the preview is it will prove though that 1up just doesn't get the whole concept of the Wii, is biased against the Wii and should never be taken serious again as a source for anything wii related.

IMO, Gamespot is much worse still. If GS is your #1 gaming source, chances are you don't know the Wii even EXISTS. Please, head over and have a look at their frontpage. It's ridiculous, considering Wii's marketshare and amout of games.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 
naznatips said:
Androo said:
Matt of IGN said that one of the competing websites [Gamespot/1UP] will give the game an 8/8.5. *cries*

Wouldn't really be surprised of 1UP, but where did you see that?

Heard it actually from IGN's latest Wii-k in review. Here's the link: http://wii.ign.com/articles/815/815695p1.html

Here's a summary I got from NeoGaf [I'm only going to post info related to MP3]:

- Teases us a bit about MP3.... just cut to the chase.
- SWEET! Metroid Prime music and discussion.
- 12:01AM Sunday Night/Monday Morning Review. Review is done and waiting for embargo to lift.
- 2:08... Control “rocks.” Prime example of Wii first person controls to date.
- Advance Mode control option is the only mode you'll want to use...
- Matt still claims MP3 is a first-person adventure, but admits that the shooter aspect has “been upped a bit.”
- Matt thinks that one of their competitor websites will score Metroid in the 8-8.5 range. There will probably be some 10s. <--- Probably referring to 1UP.

"She can feel it changing her. It's becoming a part of her, corrupting her. But what frightens her most... she likes it!" - Effects of Phazon corruption.

Metroid Prime 3 Hype Level: Corrupted

Reviews:

1UP - 9.0 

IGN - 9.5

It is a hardcore game through and through. You will get your ass kicked by bosses. You will be stumped by the sometimes complex, but never overbearing, exploration.
"You'll never want to play any shooter with dual analog sticks ever again - it's THAT good.". - Gametrailers

wow,

RE4 is 5th of the top5 score review,

about the thread, Bioshock and MP3 are quite different
even if they may both finish with really good review I dont understand WHY people are trying to compare bioshock and MP3 in term of score review ?

What is the purpose ? showing that Wii possess the best game ever ?

Time to Work !

Around the Network

well i think this debate can be put to bed now, bioshock has won.

ive played and completed bioshock and thought it was a very good game but feel it had been overrated abit. id give it about a 9/10

has anyone played both? would like to hear some opinions on both? i live in the UK so metroid is still a month or so away.