By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Developer To Fans: Keep Me From Making Mini-Games

Mr Khan said:

I agree that marketing is key here. de Blob struck the right chord, can they do it with Deadly Creatures? Only time will tell

Well of course but De Blob is a game that could become mainstream.  I mean we call it a core game simply because it was an actual good game with good platforming.  But like Mario, De Blob is a mainstream game that has enough innovation and quality to be a core game.  And it's not surprising it took off as it has the appeal and atmosphere akin to the Rayman Raving Rabbids.

Deadly Creatures is the exact opposite of that.  It's an action fighter game and supposedly quite dark.  Not to mention the concept is quite niche.  Gameplay isn't niche but concept and presentation is.  So marketing has to be very well done because if it isn't able to capture past the guys on the forums like us who already know it exist and other long time gamers then it'll have No More Heroes like sales.  Don't get me wrong that was good sales for No More Heroes but THQ is looking for something beyond gold.  So if they get a really creepy trailer up there that really shows it as something dark but intriguing then they can get the mainstream to buy into it.  Not to mention advertise some good reviews.  Make it such that they realize the gameplay isn't niche just the ideas and presentation are because it's not something traditional. 

So they got to spend the money to do it and that goes with anything.  I really know a good trailer they could put up.  Have the tarantula and scorpion crawling around in the dark crevices and are attacked by the lizard.  Show a cool battle that touts the battle system and then introduce the two humans that come up and look quite evil.  Give the credentials of Billy Bob Thorton and Dennis Hopper and then have it go black and show the box.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
ChichiriMuyo said:
Any game that sells over 250k on the Wii is profitable, except maybe some large-scale projects like Mario and Zelda. Any game that sells over 500k is a success. Any game that sells over 1 million is in fantastic shape and will probably get a sequel. This is pretty much how the game industry has always been, but the HD consoles have gone and doubled those numbers despite the games also costing $10 more each. If this game sells 750K+ copies, this guy will be jumping up and down about the next, higher budget, Wii project his bosses hand him.

I totally agree with that logic. But think about this scenario.

Company has two divisions. One makes a party game, one makes a more expensive game. Party game sells 1.5m copies, expensive game sells 400k. Now, to us that looks great because it is a success. But to the company it says, lets have that one division make two party games and maximize our profit.

Well that company would be run by idiots.

Everyone knows diversification of your product line is the most healthy way to buisness.

If you just keep making one type of product your going to end up screwed in the end.

Companys need to diversify, it doesn't matter how much profit soemthing makes, so long as it makes a profit because you want to hit as many consumers as you can and not just focus on one branch of consumers.

lol I will buy it if it is good! They have to do more than that, they can’t say that if this game won’t sell they will go back to mini games. This is a new IP so it might bomb! Give us an old IP that sells good and then if it doesn't sell well you can say what you are saying now.

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Zucas said:
Mr Khan said:

I agree that marketing is key here. de Blob struck the right chord, can they do it with Deadly Creatures? Only time will tell

Well of course but De Blob is a game that could become mainstream. I mean we call it a core game simply because it was an actual good game with good platforming. But like Mario, De Blob is a mainstream game that has enough innovation and quality to be a core game. And it's not surprising it took off as it has the appeal and atmosphere akin to the Rayman Raving Rabbids.

Deadly Creatures is the exact opposite of that. It's an action fighter game and supposedly quite dark. Not to mention the concept is quite niche. Gameplay isn't niche but concept and presentation is. So marketing has to be very well done because if it isn't able to capture past the guys on the forums like us who already know it exist and other long time gamers then it'll have No More Heroes like sales. Don't get me wrong that was good sales for No More Heroes but THQ is looking for something beyond gold. So if they get a really creepy trailer up there that really shows it as something dark but intriguing then they can get the mainstream to buy into it. Not to mention advertise some good reviews. Make it such that they realize the gameplay isn't niche just the ideas and presentation are because it's not something traditional.

So they got to spend the money to do it and that goes with anything. I really know a good trailer they could put up. Have the tarantula and scorpion crawling around in the dark crevices and are attacked by the lizard. Show a cool battle that touts the battle system and then introduce the two humans that come up and look quite evil. Give the credentials of Billy Bob Thorton and Dennis Hopper and then have it go black and show the box.

Play the trailer in cinemas before every horror film thats released in the next 2 months. That might work too.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

I for one will be buying this game.. friggen original it is

Around the Network

EA and their celebrity sports / MySims party games can go and get stuffed.

LOL, celeb sports has sold 7k, THQ better get on that cashed up bandwagon.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

i hate insectes...

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

megaman79 said:
Zucas said:
Mr Khan said:

Well of course but De Blob is a game that could become mainstream. I mean we call it a core game simply because it was an actual good game with good platforming. But like Mario, De Blob is a mainstream game that has enough innovation and quality to be a core game. And it's not surprising it took off as it has the appeal and atmosphere akin to the Rayman Raving Rabbids.

Deadly Creatures is the exact opposite of that. It's an action fighter game and supposedly quite dark. Not to mention the concept is quite niche. Gameplay isn't niche but concept and presentation is. So marketing has to be very well done because if it isn't able to capture past the guys on the forums like us who already know it exist and other long time gamers then it'll have No More Heroes like sales. Don't get me wrong that was good sales for No More Heroes but THQ is looking for something beyond gold. So if they get a really creepy trailer up there that really shows it as something dark but intriguing then they can get the mainstream to buy into it. Not to mention advertise some good reviews. Make it such that they realize the gameplay isn't niche just the ideas and presentation are because it's not something traditional.

So they got to spend the money to do it and that goes with anything. I really know a good trailer they could put up. Have the tarantula and scorpion crawling around in the dark crevices and are attacked by the lizard. Show a cool battle that touts the battle system and then introduce the two humans that come up and look quite evil. Give the credentials of Billy Bob Thorton and Dennis Hopper and then have it go black and show the box.

Play the trailer in cinemas before every horror film thats released in the next 2 months. That might work too.

Not just horror though, I bet if you put it before some action movies it would work too.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

Wii Gamer to Wii Developer:

Make the game good, and I will buy it and encourage others to do so.

If the game sucks, the game's failure will be on your head.

famousringo said:
I think theprof's point was that you can't aim every project at the center of the mainsteam. Entertainment media needs variety and niche products to serve niche markets, otherwise they leave the market in search of something that satisfies.

It's true that Deadly Creatures is limiting itself to niche status with its subject matter alone, but as long as THQ has that factored into their budget, and as long as the niche is large enough to support the game, that won't be a problem. It only becomes a problem when niche is mistaken for mainstream and over-competed for.

Publishers like Marvelous pretty much survive on serving niche markets. There's nothing wrong with that.

Quite right. Sky Render only is right in so far that developers should not whine and complain when their nieche games sell poorly. When you make a nieche game, you're essentially making a choice - artistry over popularity, and most of the time you can't have both. That's no reason for people like Suda51 (stereotypical example, I know) to stop making games - it's like saying Orson Welles (yes, it's an even more stereotypical example) should have stopped making movies because they never made him rich.