By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Developer To Fans: Keep Me From Making Mini-Games

Wii fan to developers : make good Wii games and we'll buy them

Around the Network
BengaBenga said:
Everyone that still says that de Blob bombed is an idiot. First of all the game probably has a break even point of 200k copies (= about 5 million devcosts) and second of all it was mentioned as one of THQ's success stories at the last earnings presentation.

I think Deadly Creatures has about the same potential as de Blob. Not massive, but a slow million seller.

if you read what I originally said "nobody supported it" then there wouldn't be a need to subtley troll me.

Saying that "nobody supported it" and saying it "bombed" are just slightly different in meaning. One says that it deserved more, and one says that it deserved less. One word off in meaning!

Now when you compare my statement with the OT it says this.

Expensive projects won't continue because cheap projects destroy the venture in terms of profit.

sparkit34 said:
I have really mixed feelings about this game. On one hand i think it is great that THQ is trying out new ideas. Deadly Creatures sure is original. But spiders and scorpions just don't have the same mass appeal as cute puppies.
I really hope that this game is good and it does sell. Because lets be honest, this is the type of game you would only ever be able to find on the Wii. Unfortunately, this remains a niche game, and therefore it cannot be expected to sell very well.

It has possibility that it could be a hugely selling game if not for any reason than boys love insects and lots of boys have wiis.

I'm looking forward to this game. I just hope I'll have the cash to buy it when the time comes.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

I was very impressed with this game when i saw a demonstration this summer so i pre-ordered it immediatly

Around the Network

I guess developers should stop making games at all and just produce mini games collections. Such weird logic this developer has, this would lead to another crash. But as many people said, why make GTA4, MGS4, Bioshock, Madworld, if they can get molre money by releasing cheap casual crap. I wish that happened and videogaming ended.

theprof00 said:
ChichiriMuyo said:
Any game that sells over 250k on the Wii is profitable, except maybe some large-scale projects like Mario and Zelda. Any game that sells over 500k is a success. Any game that sells over 1 million is in fantastic shape and will probably get a sequel. This is pretty much how the game industry has always been, but the HD consoles have gone and doubled those numbers despite the games also costing $10 more each. If this game sells 750K+ copies, this guy will be jumping up and down about the next, higher budget, Wii project his bosses hand him.

I totally agree with that logic. But think about this scenario.

Company has two divisions. One makes a party game, one makes a more expensive game. Party game sells 1.5m copies, expensive game sells 400k. Now, to us that looks great because it is a success. But to the company it says, lets have that one division make two party games and maximize our profit.

There have been plenty of cheap minigame cash-ins that have crashed and burned in sales.  Just because there are a handful of successful games like this, doesn't mean that they are all successful.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Gamerace said:
Well, I don't want more miny games but I havn't seen anything in Deadly Creatures that would make me what that either.
Who wants to play as a bug? A creepy bug at that? I don't see any mass appeal in this title but I hope it surprises me.

Hey! Watch your tongue young man! A Bug's Life on the PlayStation was awesome! D:

I'm getting de Blob and Deadly Creatures (when it comes out) next time I'm going at the store. Must. Support. Good games!

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

You realize that "only Solitaire and minigames sell well lol" is just as bad a mentality as "we can make whatever we want and it will sell lol", right? Instead of just assuming that things are black-and-white surface-level simple like that, it's best to actually look at the common traits of that which has succeeded.

Let's look at the top 25 games of all time. How many of them wouldn't be out of place in an arcade? At least 14 of them would be very easy indeed to put into an arcade situation. So what about the other 11? What do Pokemon, GTA, Nintendogs, Brain Training and The Sims all have in common? They're all shining examples of games which give an exceptional level of control to the player, while not compromising the player's ability to enjoy the game in the process of doing so.

So, what does that give us? Two ways to success: highly refined arcade-style gameplay, or games which mesh immense levels of player control with extremely high gameplay fluidity. And even that is a very simplistic analysis; there's far greater depth of understanding you can garner by looking at what those games all have in common, what sets them apart, what makes them stand out from other games, and so forth.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Sky Render said:

You realize that "only Solitaire and minigames sell well lol" is just as bad a mentality as "we can make whatever we want and it will sell lol", right? Instead of just assuming that things are black-and-white surface-level simple like that, it's best to actually look at the common traits of that which has succeeded.

Let's look at the top 25 games of all time. How many of them wouldn't be out of place in an arcade? At least 14 of them would be very easy indeed to put into an arcade situation. So what about the other 11? What do Pokemon, GTA, Nintendogs, Brain Training and The Sims all have in common? They're all shining examples of games which give an exceptional level of control to the player, while not compromising the player's ability to enjoy the game in the process of doing so.

So, what does that give us? Two ways to success: highly refined arcade-style gameplay, or games which mesh immense levels of player control with extremely high gameplay fluidity. And even that is a very simplistic analysis; there's far greater depth of understanding you can garner by looking at what those games all have in common, what sets them apart, what makes them stand out from other games, and so forth.

i thought you said the opposite in your first post, my bad if thats not what you meant.
I thought you were trying to say that they should stick to making games that trend and not games that at least some people would enjoy.

I thought that quote was what you were saying. sry :P