By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii stronger than the original Xbox, if so..

N.Genckel said:
Groucho said:
Umm... actually JPEG compression will often tend to have the effect of pseudo "anti-aliasing" a screenshot -- making it look smoother.

The raw BMP images from the XBox would look worse/more pixelated, I think.

Yes, bluring a picture is the same as pseudo AA ...

Or is it!?

FSAA, sorta, yeah.  It really depends on your point of view.  Some people hate FSAA.  Some people think its cool.  

I don't mind jaggies myself, so I usually think anti-aliasing is very much not worth the expense.  Other people have the opposite opinion.  The point is that, the screenshots are close enough that you should be able to tell what your preference is, whether the sources are BMPs (converted to JPEGs for websites, btw) or JPEGs.

Around the Network

Hey nerd boys,who cares just tuck in your pocket protectors neatly get a controller and go play and have fun.

Groucho said:
Darc Requiem said:
Groucho the Gamecube had superior multitexturing in comparison to the X-box. Lucasarts had a port of Rogue Squadron 2 and 3 in the works for X-box but they had to can the game because Factor 5 couldn't get the game running on X-box without serious concessions. Rogue Squadron 3 pushed the most polygons a second of any game last gen by far. Rogue Squadron 2 topped most games from last gen as well. This was while running every available hardware effect, at 60fps, in 480p.

Sorry pal, I worked on both the GC and XBox in the last gen.  The XBox's GPU is most assuredly superior to the GameCube's, no matter what Factor 5 believes or blubbers on about.  I guarantee you'v e seen some of the work I did on the XBox, if you even owned one, and I'm sure I know more than F5 does about its GPU, and I know the GC's GPU pretty damn well too.  F5 was dead wrong if they thought the GC's GPU was better.  They're about the only development studio who has ever even stated such a thing... and now they're out of business.

Factor 5 also stated (its not worth my time to find the article link) that the Wii's GPU was comparable to the PS3's.  Lol.  And then they went under.  I think that speaks for itself.

The only reason the Wii's GPU is comparable (IMO slightly better than) to the XBox's nv2a is due to its clock.

You mistook what he said; both Darc Requiem and Factor 5.

Julian Eggebrecht stated the Wii's GPU could render any of the shader effects the PS3 could.  That is hardly saying Hollywood is comporable to the RSX.  In fact, they achieved more effects on the Lair engine on Wii than they did for the PS3.

And I highly doubt you know more of the Xbox GPU than Factor 5 just because you worked on it.  They've tested the console for more than just Rebel X and graphically, Factor 5 really knew their stuff.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:

Julian Eggebrecht stated the Wii's GPU could render any of the shader effects the PS3 could.  That is hardly saying Hollywood is comporable to the RSX.  In fact, they achieved more effects on the Lair engine on Wii than they did for the PS3.

And I highly doubt you know more of the Xbox GPU than Factor 5 just because you worked on it.  They've tested the console for more than just Rebel X and graphically, Factor 5 really knew their stuff.

Interesting.  The folks I know who used to work at F5 have kinda implied the opposite to me.  They didn't seem to understand that framerate was "important", at least with regards to Lair.  Or that self-shadowing looks bad if it appears on both sides of a skinned mesh, etc.  And now... they're out of business.  Apparently they didn't know their business "stuff" very well either.

I think that you're holding onto to some old favorite games of yours a little too tightly here.  Perhaps even remembering them as... a tad better than they were.  When I look at a screenshot of F5's Starwars stuff, I see a lovely screen buffer clear (outer space "sky" render) and some nice fixed geometry with some decent texturing (good artists).  In other cases I see big, flat (low poly) landscapes, with some nicely done snow textures (good artists... hmm a trend?), and more unskinned, low-poly, well-textured models.  I don't see technical "wow".

I think Factor 5 had very good artists.  I don't have such a high opinion of their technical staff, though.  I'm sure they were fine.  But basing your arguments on their comments seems... a stretch.

Ryudo said:
Hey nerd boys,who cares just tuck in your pocket protectors neatly get a controller and go play and have fun.

You get out of here, jockboy, and leave us to our allergies and phobias.

Around the Network
Groucho said:
Viper1 said:

Interesting.  The folks I know who used to work at F5 have kinda implied the opposite to me.  They didn't seem to understand that framerate was "important", at least with regards to Lair.  Or that self-shadowing looks bad if it appears on both sides of a skinned mesh, etc.  And now... they're out of business.  Apparently they didn't know their business "stuff" very well either.

I think that you're holding onto to some old favorite games of yours a little too tightly here.  Perhaps even remembering them as... a tad better than they were.

And exactly who might you be to proclaim their graphical ignorance?  You claim to be a developer with Xbox experience but tell me, are you working on X360 an/or PS3 stuff now?  I ask this because the fact F5 is no longer in business seems to correlate directly to their graphical capacity, as you're related.  If you are not currently employed as a graphics developer on either platform, I'd suggest you refrain from further self incrimination.

Viper1 said:
Groucho said:
Viper1 said:

I think that you're holding onto to some old favorite games of yours a little too tightly here.  Perhaps even remembering them as... a tad better than they were.

And exactly who might you be to proclaim their graphical ignorance?  You claim to be a developer with Xbox experience but tell me, are you working on X360 an/or PS3 stuff now?  I ask this because the fact F5 is no longer in business seems to correlate directly to their graphical capacity, as you're related.  If you are not currently employed as a graphics developer on either platform, I'd suggest you refrain from further self incrimination.

Oh, great.  I guess I can "self incriminate" (lol) as much as I like, by your "rules".  Thanks for your "permission".

I'm not going to say any more on this topic, unless it has relevance to the topic, or a technical detail that doesn't involve some pie-in-the-sky comment from a now-gone dev studio.  If you worked there, or feel some personal pain from my comments, I encourage you to put some effort into understanding what you've rattled on about here, and of course, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.  I hope you'll be better off for it, even if you think I suck.

meanie

Groucho, Factor 5 had been around for a couple decades. They backed the wrong horse, the PS3, and it sank the company. Most people thought the PS3 would dominate the generation. I really am beginning to doubt your credentials when you seem to be unaware of basic features of each architecture that anyone with a internet access and Google can find a in a couple of minutes.

It's a matter of credibility, Groucho. F5 has it when it comes to graphics. Unless you can prove the statements invalid, your opinions don't have much sway. Especially when you seem to have some animosity towards them.

Since you demand such detailed technical details, please explain how the Wii cannot provide comparable shader effects as the Xbox (or PS3 if you wish to disagree with Julian).

I'll reply with how it can.