By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii stronger than the original Xbox, if so..

Groucho said:
NJ5 said:
I was a bit surprised that you consider 50% faster = marginally faster. But hey, let's not get too hung up on words.

More importantly, your latest post seems to have a different vibe to it compared to those previous ones. Before I was getting the idea that the flipper was almost a joke compared to the Xbox's GPU, a different idea than your latest post seems to convey.

Please explain, NJ5, why you seem to think that 50% faster is more than "marginally" faster, we're we're only discussing raw performance, and not going into the details of each and every graphics pipeline, for every game we can think of?

I suggest you re-read my posts in this thread, without the bias you seem to think I have against the Wii.

Considering that all the three consoles being discussed here tend to output 480p video (as far as I know), I would say that a 50% improvement is not a negligible speedup.

Since you mentioned 720p before I'll also say: obviously if you were to have double the amount of pixels it would actually mean you have less power per pixel and then a similar claim can be justified, but that's not the case here.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Wow you guys. What's the point? Why does anyone ask these questions, if they already have decided upon the answer?

Groucho said:
Wow you guys. What's the point? Why does anyone ask these questions, if they already have decided upon the answer?

Yeah thats what I mean. This thread is pointless.  If someone alrdy has it in there mind that console B is weaker or stronger than last gen console A.  No matter what you are not going to change that person bias.  This is the way I see it people will go through great length to prove something that they believe is right in their own mind.  Pointing to numbers here and there and spouting techy jargins, but in the end they see what they want to see and believe what they want to believe.  Which is why I feel this thread is stupid and should have been locked a while back.

I TAKE NO SIDES

Best guess, that the XBOX was the "most powerful" of the last generation - so everyone focused on graphics - whereas the Wii is the least powerful here, so graphics are the least important.

The XBOX tended to get the "best teams" as well - whereas the Wii gets the worst teams.

Some of those XBOX screenies are amazing though - does it really look that good? Are those games running higher than 480p (because from memory the XBOX does go higher, right?). They are comparable to current 360/PS3 screens in places.

Wish Ninja Gaiden would come to the Wii - so we would have something to compare it to.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

My dad can beat up your dad even if he is slightly shorter than your dad though he much taller than your dad.

Around the Network
shams said:
Best guess, that the XBOX was the "most powerful" of the last generation - so everyone focused on graphics - whereas the Wii is the least powerful here, so graphics are the least important.

The XBOX tended to get the "best teams" as well - whereas the Wii gets the worst teams.

Some of those XBOX screenies are amazing though - does it really look that good? Are those games running higher than 480p (because from memory the XBOX does go higher, right?). They are comparable to current 360/PS3 screens in places.

Wish Ninja Gaiden would come to the Wii - so we would have something to compare it to.

There seem to be two classes of NGB screenshots...

Some of them look much less impressive than other ones which look as good as the game running on my 360 at 720p (even when they aren't in 720p). There are also some unexplained things, for example how is there a screenshot taken at 720p resolution back in July 2005 when the 360 wasn't launched, and advertised as a Ninja Gaiden Black (Xbox) screenshot.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I would say that even up until very recently that few publishers if any really invested in technology and engines designed to take advantage of the Wiis GPU. Remember they were budget constrained for the last two years with losses/tight profits and the Wiis GPU just doesn't pay the investment back long term because for all intents and purposes it looks to be a dead end architecture whereas many of the features in the Xbox 360 GPU have a payback if exposed because they are going to be more fully featured in the next iteration of direct 3d.

Tease.

A console's power isn't as important as the power of the development tools available to that console.

With the XBox, MS took a PC CPU, a PC GPU and used a direct X programming environment, something they already had SIX years experience with by the time the XBox launched.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Tyrannical said:
A console's power isn't as important as the power of the development tools available to that console.

With the XBox, MS took a PC CPU, a PC GPU and used a direct X programming environment, something they already had SIX years experience with by the time the XBox launched.

No PC has its northbridge integrated with the GPU.

No PC uses GDDR3 for it's main memory.

No PC uses the Power PC archiecture.

No PC GPU uses ED-Ram.

No PC has a unified memory archicture designed like the Xbox 360.

No PC has a scaler chip built in.

Microsoft had versions of Direct 3d before 7

And no, you didn't use your brain.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
Tyrannical said:

No PC has its northbridge integrated with the GPU.

No PC uses GDDR3 for it's main memory.

No PC uses the Power PC archiecture.

No PC GPU uses ED-Ram.

No PC has a unified memory archicture designed like the Xbox 360.

No PC has a scaler chip built in.

Microsoft had versions of Direct 3d before 7

And no, you didn't use your brain.

I was referring to the original Xbox, not the 360. I thought that was obvious.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire