By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii stronger than the original Xbox, if so..

Tyrannical said:
Squilliam said:
Tyrannical said:
A console's power isn't as important as the power of the development tools available to that console.

With the XBox, MS took a PC CPU, a PC GPU and used a direct X programming environment, something they already had SIX years experience with by the time the XBox launched.

No PC has its northbridge integrated with the GPU.

No PC uses GDDR3 for it's main memory.

No PC uses the Power PC archiecture.

No PC GPU uses ED-Ram.

No PC has a unified memory archicture designed like the Xbox 360.

No PC has a scaler chip built in.

Microsoft had versions of Direct 3d before 7

And no, you didn't use your brain.

I was referring to the original Xbox, not the 360. I thought that was obvious.

Whoops, it was me who didn't use his brain.

Tease.

Around the Network
Ryudo said:
My dad can beat up your dad even if he is slightly shorter than your dad though he much taller than your dad.

lol. The problem is, the other dad is already dead, and the other dad is beating up a corpse.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad.

hotrodx said:
Ryudo said:
My dad can beat up your dad even if he is slightly shorter than your dad though he much taller than your dad.

lol. The problem is, the other dad is already dead, and the other dad is beating up a corpse.

My dad is dead also.  And a pile of ashes yet still winning!  SO HA!

Picko said:
bdbdbd said:
@Picko: I wouldn't be so sure about it. You think that the average Wii owner isn't as interested in graphics as the average owner of any previous console, but the fact is, that outside from the group that usually are early adopters, nobody buys the console for its technical capabilities, they buy it for games. Most of the people upgrade when there is no longer games that intrest them coming for their console and the titles have moved to the next gen systems.
Though, i do agree that it's a shame devs rarely try to push the hardware or even try to match the GC graphics.

Those who tend to care a great deal about graphics are those who spend a lot of time online, looking at pictures, watching videos and discussing games. Since the Wii's release everyone has highlighted how successful it's proven with people who previously didn't play games or people who played very little. These are exactly the demographics that don't care about graphics, they don't spend a great deal of time researching gaming and possibly don't even know that the Wii is "underpowered".

The average Wii fan is extremely casual (I suspect that the average 360 or PS3 owner would be less casual - although still casual) - and therefore they just don't care about graphics. It's a non-issue for them, it rarely factors into buying decisions and developers know this - it is why low cost software can sell really well on the Wii but would sell very poorly on the other systems. Wii owners who care a great deal about graphics (and perhaps to an extent production values) are a huge minority.

Onyxmeth is correct in what he said. Even Nintendo knows that you can shift a lot of software to these demographics without investing a lot of money in them. They bundled a game like Wii Sports, which is technically unimpressive and yet has driven a significant amount of sales. For many Wii owners Wii Sports is their first experience with a game, it's what they expect from gaming and it is graphically unimpressive. All up you have a situation where there is reduced incentives for developers to invest in games that push the Wii graphically.

I would just like to throw in a thought, or theory, that I've come across with the Wii--relating to the bolded (it reminded me that I haven't mentioned it here).

Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Fire Emblem Wii, Battalion Wars 2, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Kart, Zelda: WW, Call of Duty (both), No More Heroes have all outsold Super Mario Sunshine, SSB Melee, Fire Emblem GC, Battalion Wars 1, Metroid Prime 2, Mario Kart: DD, Zelda: TP, Call of Duty (both), and Killer7, respectively.

Considering that pretty much the only people who bought GameCubes were Nintendo fans, it's easy to see that one or both of the following two things have happened:

1.  Many of the Wii's "casual" Blue Ocean gamers are in fact moving on to more hardcore pursuits.
2.  More hardcore gamers have adopted the Wii than the GameCube.

In short, I believe--and would argue--that the Wii has a larger hardcore userbase than the GameCube.  Hardcore-Casual "bridge" games like Mario Kart Wii, de Blob, Zak & Wiki, Raving Rabbids, and Boom Blox have all garnered impressive sales.  The only fluke from the above mentioned titles is Metroid Prime 1 being the best-selling of the Prime series, though 3 did outsell 2.  Is the average Wii fan casual?  That's a really tough call seeing as pretty much every hardcore-leaning title has in 2 years bested the lifetime sales of pretty much all their GameCube counterparts.  Okami sold better on the Wii than the PS2, and Resident Evil 4 has already matched it's GameCube sales.  No More Heroes is Suda51's best selling game to date.  Manhunt 2 sold far better on the Wii than the PSP and almost the same as on the PS2--despite the PS2 userbase being larger by nearly a hundred million.  Sure, Call of Duty: WaW's sales on the Wii aren't exactly phenomenal, but they are quite a bit better than the GameCube Call of Duty titles.  Bully sold respectably on the Wii at roughly 370,000.  Compare to 790,000 or 780,000 for the Xbox360 or PS2, and we see that, while it didn't do as well on the Wii, it certainly didn't do terribly--the game only becomes a million seller when you add 'em all up.  The Wii also has 41 million sellers already as opposed to the 39 for the lifetime of the GC. 

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed sold best on X360 (1.55 million) and second on the Wii and PS3 (1.04 each), meaning that the Wii version of TFU essentially sold in-line with it's console counterparts (and much better compared to the PS2, PSP, and DS).  Sonic Unleashed has actually sold ever so slightly better on the Wii than the Xbox360 and PS3--combined. 

These aren't all the same people as before buying up these games, ie, it's not just the Nintendo fans pushing these sales.  There are a ton of new Wii users adopting these games.  Granted, some are actual, regular hardcore gamers warming up to the new Nintendo system, but it can't be denied that a good number of the Blue Ocean crowd has begun to move to a more hardcore flavor.  Gradually, they'll become more informed, they'll understand more, and they'll want more than just Wii Sports and Carnival Games. 

It could be argued, however, that the reason pretty much everything has sold better on the Wii is simply because the GameCube incarnations of many of these games were sub-par compared to what they should have been (aside from Metroid Prime 1).  Wind Waker and Mario Sunshine were easily two of the worst titles in their respective series (yes, I believe this--WW was too easy, too simple, had too many dull fetch-quests, was too predictable, had too many hearts, and so forth). 

Anyway, I believe that there is clearly a substantial hardcore crowd on the Wii.  So there's no reason at all to be gimping the graphics on these games.  And since the Wii is essentially a much more effecient machine roughly on par with the original Xbox, there's no excuse for any game that looks grossly inferior to Doom 3, Halo 2, God of War, Metal Gear Solid 3, Resident Evil 4, or Rogue Leader.  And when gamers really start seeing how good things can look on the Wii--perceived Blue Ocean crowd, hardcore, or transitional gamers--they'll want better looking software.

Resident_Hazard said:
Picko said:
bdbdbd said:
@Picko: I wouldn't be so sure about it. You think that the average Wii owner isn't as interested in graphics as the average owner of any previous console, but the fact is, that outside from the group that usually are early adopters, nobody buys the console for its technical capabilities, they buy it for games. Most of the people upgrade when there is no longer games that intrest them coming for their console and the titles have moved to the next gen systems.
Though, i do agree that it's a shame devs rarely try to push the hardware or even try to match the GC graphics.

Those who tend to care a great deal about graphics are those who spend a lot of time online, looking at pictures, watching videos and discussing games. Since the Wii's release everyone has highlighted how successful it's proven with people who previously didn't play games or people who played very little. These are exactly the demographics that don't care about graphics, they don't spend a great deal of time researching gaming and possibly don't even know that the Wii is "underpowered".

The average Wii fan is extremely casual (I suspect that the average 360 or PS3 owner would be less casual - although still casual) - and therefore they just don't care about graphics. It's a non-issue for them, it rarely factors into buying decisions and developers know this - it is why low cost software can sell really well on the Wii but would sell very poorly on the other systems. Wii owners who care a great deal about graphics (and perhaps to an extent production values) are a huge minority.

Onyxmeth is correct in what he said. Even Nintendo knows that you can shift a lot of software to these demographics without investing a lot of money in them. They bundled a game like Wii Sports, which is technically unimpressive and yet has driven a significant amount of sales. For many Wii owners Wii Sports is their first experience with a game, it's what they expect from gaming and it is graphically unimpressive. All up you have a situation where there is reduced incentives for developers to invest in games that push the Wii graphically.

I would just like to throw in a thought, or theory, that I've come across with the Wii--relating to the bolded (it reminded me that I haven't mentioned it here).

Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Fire Emblem Wii, Battalion Wars 2, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Kart, Zelda: WW, Call of Duty (both), No More Heroes have all outsold Super Mario Sunshine, SSB Melee, Fire Emblem GC, Battalion Wars 1, Metroid Prime 2, Mario Kart: DD, Zelda: TP, Call of Duty (both), and Killer7, respectively.

Considering that pretty much the only people who bought GameCubes were Nintendo fans, it's easy to see that one or both of the following two things have happened:

1.  Many of the Wii's "casual" Blue Ocean gamers are in fact moving on to more hardcore pursuits.
2.  More hardcore gamers have adopted the Wii than the GameCube.

In short, I believe--and would argue--that the Wii has a larger hardcore userbase than the GameCube.  Hardcore-Casual "bridge" games like Mario Kart Wii, de Blob, Zak & Wiki, Raving Rabbids, and Boom Blox have all garnered impressive sales.  The only fluke from the above mentioned titles is Metroid Prime 1 being the best-selling of the Prime series, though 3 did outsell 2.  Is the average Wii fan casual?  That's a really tough call seeing as pretty much every hardcore-leaning title has in 2 years bested the lifetime sales of pretty much all their GameCube counterparts.  Okami sold better on the Wii than the PS2, and Resident Evil 4 has already matched it's GameCube sales.  No More Heroes is Suda51's best selling game to date.  Manhunt 2 sold far better on the Wii than the PSP and almost the same as on the PS2--despite the PS2 userbase being larger by nearly a hundred million.  Sure, Call of Duty: WaW's sales on the Wii aren't exactly phenomenal, but they are quite a bit better than the GameCube Call of Duty titles.  Bully sold respectably on the Wii at roughly 370,000.  Compare to 790,000 or 780,000 for the Xbox360 or PS2, and we see that, while it didn't do as well on the Wii, it certainly didn't do terribly--the game only becomes a million seller when you add 'em all up.  The Wii also has 41 million sellers already as opposed to the 39 for the lifetime of the GC.

Yes, Wii has a larger core base of gamers then GameCube and 2008 christmas sales shows that and it will be more evident this year as there will be more good third party games out this year with larger install base of gamers.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed sold best on X360 (1.55 million) and second on the Wii and PS3 (1.04 each), meaning that the Wii version of TFU essentially sold in-line with it's console counterparts (and much better compared to the PS2, PSP, and DS).  Sonic Unleashed has actually sold ever so slightly better on the Wii than the Xbox360 and PS3--combined. 

One might add that Wii version of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed probably soon will sell more then the PS3 version as the Wii version have just caught up to the PS3 version and might still have some more steam in the engine. Who knows, maybe the Wii version will catch up with the Xbox 360 version to.

These aren't all the same people as before buying up these games, ie, it's not just the Nintendo fans pushing these sales.  There are a ton of new Wii users adopting these games.  Granted, some are actual, regular hardcore gamers warming up to the new Nintendo system, but it can't be denied that a good number of the Blue Ocean crowd has begun to move to a more hardcore flavor.  Gradually, they'll become more informed, they'll understand more, and they'll want more than just Wii Sports and Carnival Games. 

Well, some Nintendo fans that left after SNES and N64 and probably some Nintendo fans that had a handheld console as last Nintendo console are back. And then we have fresh newstarted core gamers that never was casual. Probably even Xbox 360 and PS3 ovners that have Wii as secondary console buying a few core games for Wii, PS2 and Xbox gamers that moved to Wii. And last the casual/expanded audience going more core. Maybe more kinds of people.

It could be argued, however, that the reason pretty much everything has sold better on the Wii is simply because the GameCube incarnations of many of these games were sub-par compared to what they should have been (aside from Metroid Prime 1).  Wind Waker and Mario Sunshine were easily two of the worst titles in their respective series (yes, I believe this--WW was too easy, too simple, had too many dull fetch-quests, was too predictable, had too many hearts, and so forth). 

I don't know, Wind Waker was a damn good game, but a bit to different to many potential buyers on a console that did not sell so good.

Anyway, I believe that there is clearly a substantial hardcore crowd on the Wii.  So there's no reason at all to be gimping the graphics on these games.  And since the Wii is essentially a much more effecient machine roughly on par with the original Xbox, there's no excuse for any game that looks grossly inferior to Doom 3, Halo 2, God of War, Metal Gear Solid 3, Resident Evil 4, or Rogue Leader.  And when gamers really start seeing how good things can look on the Wii--perceived Blue Ocean crowd, hardcore, or transitional gamers--they'll want better looking software.

Well, there is a reason to gimp the graphics actually and I don't mind. Simpler graphics often translates to cheaper game and less developing time (or smaller team). That can make smaller developers take a chance on Wii and other good things. That said, a good game with polish would probably sell more.

Just some comments in your post.

Around the Network

based on output resolution which is fed to the tv, the xbox is more powerful, it could output a resolution of 1080i to a 1080i compatable tv, the wii just like the gamecube before it can only physicaly output a resolution of 480p only.

Jake, that has nothing to do with the power of the console. Any console could render at 1080i though you'd get a slide show from hell on 5th generation and below.

The difference in Wii and Xbox output resolution is the Wii is 'locked' at 480p. The console could render 1080i, the output is simply restricted.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

AFAIK Wii's PPC CPU should be a lot more powerful than the almost equally clocked Celeron/PIII hybrid used by XBox 1, but Wii has only a little more total RAM (*), so while extra CPU power is available for new features like motion control, little more RAM, of which a portion is used by the aforementioned new functions, could force it to have little more graphic detail. Obviously, considering that only towards the end of this gen HD TV sets will have a WW diffusion comparable to old SD, Nintendo decided to invest only on widely and readily usable new and appealing functions instead of on a costly graphic quality increase that could have been enjoyed only by a minority of users for quite a long period. Facts are proving it right. When necessary and desired (or maybe simply taken for granted when HD will be widespread) by a more consistent share of users, Nintendo will be able to release a Wii2 with higher def spending a lot less than what it costed this gen to its competitors.
I'm not saying MS and Sony were wrong pushing technology and graphics, but graphics aren't everything and what Nintendo created is perceived as a greater innovation than the usual computing and graphic power increase.

Edit: checked (*) Wii has actually little more total RAM, but quite a lot more graphic RAM, but 24MB are still in a low end range (although enough for SD graphics).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

My penis is bigger then your penis! Oh wait wrong topic... or is it? o_O

Really people are going to believe what they want... Xbox and GC were capable of similar feats just both had edges over the other but overall Xbox was stronger. Wii is stronger then Xbox I don't see why it's even a discussion any longer just because people like to compare HD screens of Xbox games to games on Wii where most are based off GC games that were axed and brought back for Wii just to get those titles out there... again my argument is GC did Resident Evil 4 which looked better then any Xbox game posted in this thread, Wii is capable of more then that...

/end thread.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Alby_da_Wolf, the motion detection software has so minimal an impact on system resources, it's not a graphical hindrance by any means. It takes up not much more resources than standard methods of input do.

The rEVOLution is not being televised