By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii stronger than the original Xbox, if so..

There weren't that many games that were ported from the Gamecube to the PC, but Resident Evil 4 was one of the games that was ... While it is not the best metric to compare PC hardware to console hardware (because you get additional performance fromoptimizing for specific hardware on a console which isn't possible on the PC) Resident Evil 4 required a mid-level Geforce FX (Geforce 5) to play on a PC and it didn't play better than the Gamecube version unless you had a high end Geforce FX or Geforce 6 based graphics card.

The reason why I bring this up is that if the XBox GPU (which was a modified Geforce 3) was so much better than the Flipper you would expect that any game ported from the Gamecube to the PC would only require a Geforce 3 or Geforce 4 graphics card ...

From what I recall, the strenght and weakness of the Flipper was that there was support in hardware for most of the texturing effects that developers would want to do ... When fully taken advantage of, the overhead from programmable pipelines (like the XBox's GPU) made it difficult to match the same quality level without being noticeably more powerful ... At the same time, few developers ever focused their efforts on the Gamecube so there were few games that ever took full advantage of the hardware that was there.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

There weren't that many games that were ported from the Gamecube to the PC, but Resident Evil 4 was one of the games that was ... While it is not the best metric to compare PC hardware to console hardware (because you get additional performance fromoptimizing for specific hardware on a console which isn't possible on the PC) Resident Evil 4 required a mid-level Geforce FX (Geforce 5) to play on a PC and it didn't play better than the Gamecube version unless you had a high end Geforce FX or Geforce 6 based graphics card.

The reason why I bring this up is that if the XBox GPU (which was a modified Geforce 3) was so much better than the Flipper you would expect that any game ported from the Gamecube to the PC would only require a Geforce 3 or Geforce 4 graphics card ...

From what I recall, the strenght and weakness of the Flipper was that there was support in hardware for most of the texturing effects that developers would want to do ... When fully taken advantage of, the overhead from programmable pipelines (like the XBox's GPU) made it difficult to match the same quality level without being noticeably more powerful ... At the same time, few developers ever focused their efforts on the Gamecube so there were few games that ever took full advantage of the hardware that was there.

First I'd like to thank HappySqurriel for presenting a good argument, and posing decent questions, rather than resorting to personal attacks and holding up some comments from a now-defunct developer as the gospel truth until "proven" otherwise.

With regards to console->PC ports, ports just don't tend to make the transition very well.  Even the specs for Halo on the PC were far higher than the XBox, and the port, relatively, would have been a piece of cake compared to the RE4 port from the GameCube.  This is always been the case, and has to do more with the difficulty of porting code, the budget of the port (i.e., manpower and time required -- often ports are very low budget), etc. than it does the hardware.

Your second paragraph makes some excellent points, however.  The flipper h ad some great fixed function features, and yes, the nv2a required some clever shader programming to do the same kinds of work, often at greater expense from a per cycle viewpoint (of course the nv2a clock was higher, so that often made up the difference).  I'm not trying to going out on a limb here to say that the nv2a was very much better than the flipper.  It was marginally better, in my opinion (and many developers, who have widely varying "requirements" for their subjective "better").

I'm trying to put forth here that the Wii's GPU, while clocked faster and supporting a couple new features (and more memory, which is the best part, IMO), is still not much beyond the nv2a or the flipper.  Its primary advantage over the nv2a is in its fixed functionality -- if you want to have your app rendered in an "old school" style, you're going to do pretty well with the Wii (e.g. just about every Nintendo Wii 1st party game, like SMG, MP3, etc.).  If you want anything fancy, its sadly true that even the original XBox could do some things, in some game environments, that the Wii just cannot do.

I think the Wii's GPU is marginally superior to the XBox's (from a high level standpoint), as I've stated many times, as long as you focus on its strengths.  Its going to have a great framerate, and be much more "bad GPU programmer" proof than the original XBox ever was (and that's a lot bigger performance benefit than you might think).  The Wii will always show best in motion relative to the XBox, and not in screens, which is a silly way to compare them..

Good looking Wii games will happen thanks to developers understanding the Wii's limitations and working with what it does well.  Ports focus on getting the job done and out the door.  No Wii direct port from the HD consoles will ever be any good, really, for this reason.  The Wii will excel when its hits the marketshare needed to justify exclusives for its broad demographics (which is more than just 50%, btw), plain and simple -- because successful, good games are designed well around the hardware limits, more than they are ever implemented well or technologically sound.

I'm not trying to going out on a limb here to say that the nv2a was very much better than the flipper. It was marginally better, in my opinion (and many developers, who have widely varying "requirements" for their subjective "better").

A little more than an hour ago you were saying:

The XBox's GPU is most assuredly superior to the GameCube's, no matter what Factor 5 believes or blubbers on about.

The nv2a was about 50% faster than the flipper, for all practical purposes, and its shader functionality, stencil buffer, much larger texture memory, etc., provided utility that the flipper just could not match.

What gives?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5: "What gives?"

It is superior, and 50% faster does not make for markedly superior when you're talking GPUs.

Is that clearer for you, NJ5?  I'll return your question... what gives with your not understanding how GPUs scale?  Why are you commenting in this manner, if you don't understand the basic mathematical concept of area (720p is a lot more than 480p, when you're talking fill rate necessities)?  Or the definition of the word "superior"?  Meaning... better, to any degree.

Sorry to be so brunt, but you somehow manage to rudely respond on almost every thread I post in.  I think you need to justify your heckling.

I was a bit surprised that you consider 50% faster = marginally faster. But hey, let's not get too hung up on words.

More importantly, your latest post seems to have a different vibe to it compared to those previous ones. Before I was getting the idea that the flipper was almost a joke compared to the Xbox's GPU, a different idea than your latest post seems to convey.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
Groucho said:
HappySqurriel said:

First I'd like to thank HappySqurriel for presenting a good argument, and posing decent questions, rather than resorting to personal attacks and holding up some comments from a now-defunct developer as the gospel truth until "proven" otherwise.

With regards to console->PC ports, ports just don't tend to make the transition very well.  Even the specs for Halo on the PC were far higher than the XBox, and the port, relatively, would have been a piece of cake compared to the RE4 port from the GameCube.  This is always been the case, and has to do more with the difficulty of porting code, the budget of the port (i.e., manpower and time required -- often ports are very low budget), etc. than it does the hardware.

Your second paragraph makes some excellent points, however.  The flipper h ad some great fixed function features, and yes, the nv2a required some clever shader programming to do the same kinds of work, often at greater expense from a per cycle viewpoint (of course the nv2a clock was higher, so that often made up the difference).  I'm not trying to going out on a limb here to say that the nv2a was very much better than the flipper.  It was marginally better, in my opinion (and many developers, who have widely varying "requirements" for their subjective "better").

I'm trying to put forth here that the Wii's GPU, while clocked faster and supporting a couple new features (and more memory, which is the best part, IMO), is still not much beyond the nv2a or the flipper.  Its primary advantage over the nv2a is in its fixed functionality -- if you want to have your app rendered in an "old school" style, you're going to do pretty well with the Wii (e.g. just about every Nintendo Wii 1st party game, like SMG, MP3, etc.).  If you want anything fancy, its sadly true that even the original XBox could do some things, in some game environments, that the Wii just cannot do.

I think the Wii's GPU is marginally superior to the XBox's (from a high level standpoint), as I've stated many times, as long as you focus on its strengths.  Its going to have a great framerate, and be much more "bad GPU programmer" proof than the original XBox ever was (and that's a lot bigger performance benefit than you might think).  The Wii will always show best in motion relative to the XBox, and not in screens, which is a silly way to compare them..

Good looking Wii games will happen thanks to developers understanding the Wii's limitations and working with what it does well.  Ports focus on getting the job done and out the door.  No Wii direct port from the HD consoles will ever be any good, really, for this reason.  The Wii will excel when its hits the marketshare needed to justify exclusives for its broad demographics (which is more than just 50%, btw), plain and simple -- because successful, good games are designed well around the hardware limits, more than they are ever implemented well or technologically sound.

You admit that the NV2A was only marginally better than Flipper.  We all know that Hollywood runs at a higher clock speed than Flipper.  It has undergone a die shrink but is actually bigger physically, so it must have added more than just a couple of features.  It also has more memory, which you yourself admit is a very significant deal.  So Hollywood by all accounts is significantly better than that Flipper.  But then you claim that it is only marginally better than NV2A.  That does not compute.

NJ5 said:
I was a bit surprised that you consider 50% faster = marginally faster. But hey, let's not get too hung up on words.

More importantly, your latest post seems to have a different vibe to it compared to those previous ones. Before I was getting the idea that the flipper was almost a joke compared to the Xbox's GPU, a different idea than your latest post seems to convey.

Please explain, NJ5, why you seem to think that 50% faster is more than "marginally" faster, we're we're only discussing raw performance, and not going into the details of each and every graphics pipeline, for every game we can think of?

I suggest you re-read my posts in this thread, without the bias you seem to think I have against the Wii.

rajendra82 said:
Groucho said:
HappySqurriel said:

You admit that the NV2A was only marginally better than Flipper.  We all know that Hollywood runs at a higher clock speed than Flipper.  It has undergone a die shrink but is actually bigger physically, so it must have added more than just a couple of features.  It also has more memory, which you yourself admit is a very significant deal.  So Hollywood by all accounts is significantly better than that Flipper.  But then you claim that it is only marginally better than NV2A.  That does not compute.

I was thinking the same. Thanks for putting it in good words. :)

WTF this shit is still going on.

I TAKE NO SIDES

rajendra82 said:
Groucho said:
HappySqurriel said:

So you believe that, if a GPU has its clock scaled by 50%, that it is profoundly (as opposed to marginally) better than a GPU that was marginally superior (by near 50% raw 1-dimensional output rate, in a 2-dimensional space, or more dimensions if you consider pixel pipelines/detail as another) to the previous GPU?

Do you understand the differences between generations, with regards to fill, texel, and triangle output?  My definition of "marginal", when it comes to GPUs, encompasses any GPU that isn't about 100% faster, or 50% as fast, than the comparison.  I think that, when you're talking 1-dimensional output numbers, to a more-than-2 dimensional output space (texels, and mesh complexity, are definately an added dimension to the problem, IMO), that makes a lot of sense.