By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dear Mr. Game Developer, Here's How to Tap Into the Wii - An Open Letter

SmokedHostage said:
McStormy1 said:

1. Think Quality but Not Grandiose Epics
The audience for giant cinematic epic games is probably not going to be there, at least for now, so continue to make them on the HD consoles

I think this is the Wii's weakest link and why story driven, excellently written games on the Wii are so few. Unfortunately writing and story quality constitute a big portion of what makes a "quality" game "so the two are not mutually exclusive.

Galaxy would like a word with you.

SMG is overrated. I wouldn't give the game more than a 7 because of the horribly executed storyline. Nintendo DID include a story yet the writing and plot set up was less than mediocre making the entire effort futile and puting a stain on the overall polished presentation. Nintendo wanted to spend the least amount of time and money on the plot and writing and it shows.

Around the Network
SmokedHostage said:
McStormy1 said:

The audience for giant cinematic epic games is probably not going to be there, at least for now, so continue to make them on the HD consoles

I think this is the Wii's weakest link and why story driven, excellently written games on the Wii are so few. Unfortunately writing and story quality constitute a big portion of what makes a "quality" game "so the two are not mutually exclusive.

Actually I really enjoyed the little fairy tale Rosalina reads, and it was completely seperated from game so it didn't screw anything up if you didn't like it.

Great read With the exception of no 1 i agree with everything you said

SmokedHostage said:
McStormy1 said:

Galaxy is a phenomenon though. How many platformers have no plot development what so ever and yet are still as engaging through out the whole level? None, it is a unique snowflake. 

Damn, some of the level design was just phenomenal. How it builds up gradualy developing greater and more interesting detail upon detail.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Devs do not listen/read forums. Especially wii devs and especially english forums like this one. Buy me dev kit for wii and I make you wrpg that follows those rules. ;)

Around the Network
McStormy1 said:

I think this is the Wii's weakest link and why story driven, excellently written games on the Wii are so few. Unfortunately writing and story quality constitute a big portion of what makes a "quality" game so the two are not mutually exclusive.

I think there is room on the Wii for story driven games, Zelda alone proves its possible. Some many of the others that have been tried are bad ports so it's hard to judge their real potential. I don't know if you would count RE and Fire Emblem which did OK.

Certainly, Conduit may show whats possible being one of the first games of the ilk written for the Wii. Let's hope it's good and the first of many.

What I meant to specifically exclude are the huge very cinematic games like MGS which I do not think could be translated. Other than cinematic graphics, I don't seeanything making it impossible.

good read

McStormy1 said:
SmokedHostage said:
McStormy1 said:

SMG is overrated. I wouldn't give the game more than a 7 because of the horribly executed storyline. Nintendo DID include a story yet the writing and plot set up was less than mediocre making the entire effort futile and puting a stain on the overall polished presentation. Nintendo wanted to spend the least amount of time and money on the plot and writing and it shows.

Hell, Nintendo popularized games with endings, artstyle, and stories in the NES days.  Also Galaxy was a game made for its fanbase which doesn't seem to mind the story for the most part.  If a game needs a good story to be good, I'm sure some old school arcade fanatics don't have good taste.

Pixel Art can be fun.

What I meant to specifically exclude are the huge very cinematic games like MGS which I do not think could be translated. Other than cinematic graphics, I don't see anything making it impossible.

That was a generation ago. I'd also argue Okami is fairly "hugely cinematic" and it got a Wii port from the PS2. Of course there's nothing the Wii can do to satisfy videophile's and graphic whores who like cinematic games to feed their desire for high end graphics, but who they've got two whole consoles that cater to them. =P

SmokedHostage said:
Legend11 said:
Grampy,

On a console where Carnival Games, Game Party, Deca Sports, Smarty Pants, and others trounce most third-party hardcore games on the system why in your opinion should they take more risk, spend more money, and go against what is selling for third-parties on it? On a system where Wii Sports and Wii Play completely dominate sales and are very likely the reason why many people buy the console why do you feel developers should instead make games that the majority never bought the console for?

Please prove this because this seems to be the words of a troll.

Prove it?  I thought it was common sense and universally accepted that Wii Sports is a major reason for the Wii's success and can be attributed to selling many Wiis.  That it's the biggest system seller of all time.  Do you feel otherwise?  Please tell me what game you feel attracted more people to the console than Wii Sports.

As for accusing me of trolling, please feel free to point out which words are trolling.  If I provide posts of other members attributing the Wii's success to Wii Sports are you going to claim they're trolling too?