By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dear Mr. Game Developer, Here's How to Tap Into the Wii - An Open Letter

misterd said:
psrock said:
Soriku said:
psrock said:
Nice way of jumping on Legend guys. Let me repeat what he tried to say.

Why would third party spend more money to create bigger games when they don't have to in order to make a profit?

lawl, are you back in 2007 too?

I think we've heard that same argument way too many times to count...yet devs seem to not care.

1. Lowest cost
2. Highest userbase

There you go. Reason enough. Or should the PS2/DS also gotten only shovelware...because they sold them well too? I mean...no point when they sell those well right?

Yet devs pretty much say "**** you" to people who say that.

the fact that you guys feels the wii deserve the big games is funny. This is business and  thanks to the market, the wii has shown us that small budget games can do pretty well on it.

The wii will sell as much or more than the Ps2, but its no PS2, AND NEVER will. The ps2 got all the big games, all of them.

Like Halo and Smash Bros?

If the Wii was the PS2 in terms of software support there wouldn't even be threads like this one.  I know some people like to argue about anything but come on some of the things people are arguing against in this thread are ridiculous.  People arguing that Wii Sports isn't a huge system seller or that the Wii and PS2 share the same level of support from third parties need to stop trying to argue everytime they hear something they don't like.

Around the Network

Fantastic thread Grampy. I have a habit of going into the bad ones and telling people why their threads are horrible so I figured that I'd go into a great one and tell someone good job. I have nothing to add to what you said since I couldn't have put any of it better. People that come into an excellent thread like this to argue for the sake of arguing really have to get lives.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

psrock said:

You guys claimed to be more mature than HD consoles owners, yet anytime someone says something about the wii you don't like, all i hear is crying.

First of all, the PS3 is far from being frontloaded, LBP, Uncharted, Resistance, all these games were called flop after the first week by, guess which fanboys.

The wii is the wii, its something different wich most Developers havent accepted yet, but these guys will come. The games will show up. I believe wii2 will be the PS2, the developers will be ready for it and it will be more powerful.

A couple of games that have sold well due to having long staying power hardly disproves that the majority of big selling games on the HD consoles are very front loaded ...

IIRC back at E3 2005 Reggie talked about how most games had the majority of their sales in the first 6 weeks of being on the market; and he pointed out how there were several big Nintendo DS games that had sold more after being on the market for Six weeks than they did in that initial six week period.

While every system has 5 or 10 games that have sold this way, the vast majority of the best selling Wii games are sold this way ... There are dozens of games like Boom Blox and deBlob which were mocked because they were so highly reviewed an less than 250,000 people bought them in this initial 6 week period, and now these games are passing 700,000 units sold and (if things continue) will creep their way to being million selling games..

In the end games sell on the Wii platform, the kinds of games matters.. 'big games'... semantics is a bi*** so I'll look at it this way:

Roughly half of the Wii's sold to date are online; this example is a bit tanjent but the point is that when and not if but when the install base reaches the point of 100 million+ while the combined install base for the PS360 is just kicking 60 million's door down it's going to be hard to ignore that install base.

I'm not saying 'big games' are going to be coming to the platform at that point, I am saying that the types of games that do sell will be the 'big games' for that platform.

Should a Resident Evil 5 appear on the Wii platform, I assure you that it would be a failure speaking in the long term, the game won't sell like a Wii Sports or a Mario Kart, and seeing as how the consumer base of the Wii has expressed that they will purchase a game 12 million times and counting, anything short would be a perspective failure.

However should a Resident Evil 5 Wii appear on the Wii platform then I can assure you it will not be the Resident Evil 4/1 that anyone expects, and so it would be recognized, shunned and loved all at the same time.

Going back to my tangent point; Eventually if that ratio keeps up of roughly half the Wii owners being online. (Which it should since users being online is influenced by content and content so far has only increased with time.) The ammount of people online with the Wii could rival an entire platforms install base for either PS3 or Xbox360. Meaning their could be more reason to work on a kind of game that could use this.

MMORPG players didn't come around because an MMORPG was there, MMORPG's came around because people were on the internet.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D