By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dear Mr. Game Developer, Here's How to Tap Into the Wii - An Open Letter

McStormy1 said:

Might seem strange to your understanding of narrative but that is a narrative clearly. Slow progression through challenges that build to a reward. Excuse the size of the post.

I'm sure a movie or a book with that kind of narrative would fair very well with the critics....

Dude i can only assume your too young to get the concept of narratives but there is a continuing debate about whether playing a game is the same thing as watching a movie. Your playing a role in the narrative, whether thats Wiifit or MGS, and your involvement changes the narrative as you progress.

Theres something to be said about passive entertainment (tv) and whether, i dk Tetris for eg, is ultimately a better, more convincing and appealing narrative simply because you are a part of it. 

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network
phenom08 said:
Legend11 said:
SmokedHostage said:
Legend11 said:
Grampy,

On a console where Carnival Games, Game Party, Deca Sports, Smarty Pants, and others trounce most third-party hardcore games on the system why in your opinion should they take more risk, spend more money, and go against what is selling for third-parties on it? On a system where Wii Sports and Wii Play completely dominate sales and are very likely the reason why many people buy the console why do you feel developers should instead make games that the majority never bought the console for?

Please prove this because this seems to be the words of a troll.

Prove it?  I thought it was common sense and universally accepted that Wii Sports is a major reason for the Wii's success and can be attributed to selling many Wiis.  That it's the biggest system seller of all time.  Do you feel otherwise?  Please tell me what game you feel attracted more people to the console than Wii Sports.

As for accusing me of trolling, please feel free to point out which words are trolling.  If I provide posts of other members attributing the Wii's success to Wii Sports are you going to claim they're trolling too?

the controller sells the system and wii sports helps you test the controller, the system doesn't sell because the game looks appealing, the controller helps the game look appealing, and yes u do seem like a troll i looked at ur profile u have a bunch of 360 games why do u care about the wii if ur not a troll

If you don't own a system and post in a thread about it you're a troll?  Seriously look up the word before throwing it around.  It really seems like this is a case of shooting the messenger.

Squilliam said:
Number 11: Learn to make games like Nintendo, don't try to make Nintendo games.

A.) Test, test, test. Many games with great potential have fallen flat due to a lack of testing. Get your game into the hands of as many different people as you can as quickly as you can and take advantage of any insight you can get. Personal story: Someone I knew once did an advertisement for the Phantom Hourglass (DS) and the developers constantly bugged him for his thoughts on the game, they were extremely interested in how he found it. He doesn't play games at all, but it shows how serious they are about this process.

B.) Fun is as important as excitement. You can only reliably excite anyone once, but if you make a game fun they will keep coming back to it. Nintendo games may not always be the most exciting games you can play, but they are generally among the most consistantly fun games and their fans can keep coming back to them.

Excellent contribution and I took the liberty of adding it in.

Legend11 said:
phenom08 said:
Legend11 said:
SmokedHostage said:
Legend11 said:
Grampy,

On a console where Carnival Games, Game Party, Deca Sports, Smarty Pants, and others trounce most third-party hardcore games on the system why in your opinion should they take more risk, spend more money, and go against what is selling for third-parties on it? On a system where Wii Sports and Wii Play completely dominate sales and are very likely the reason why many people buy the console why do you feel developers should instead make games that the majority never bought the console for?

Prove it?  I thought it was common sense and universally accepted that Wii Sports is a major reason for the Wii's success and can be attributed to selling many Wiis.  That it's the biggest system seller of all time.  Do you feel otherwise?  Please tell me what game you feel attracted more people to the console than Wii Sports.

As for accusing me of trolling, please feel free to point out which words are trolling.  If I provide posts of other members attributing the Wii's success to Wii Sports are you going to claim they're trolling too?

the controller sells the system and wii sports helps you test the controller, the system doesn't sell because the game looks appealing, the controller helps the game look appealing, and yes u do seem like a troll i looked at ur profile u have a bunch of 360 games why do u care about the wii if ur not a troll

If you don't own a system and post in a thread about it you're a troll?  Seriously look up the word before throwing it around.  It really seems like this is a case of shooting the messenger.

if you don't own a system and bash it and think u know what ur talking about then yes u r a troll and we r using computer terms a "troll" is a supernatural being in scandinavian mythology, thats like saying "lol" is in the dictionary i guess u should look it up

@Grampy, thanks: I was thinking about Nintendo games the other day, that excitement vs fun paradox. I realised they never really excited me hugely like HD games but they were consistantly fun. I had that thought when I was playing a N64 Paper Mario RPG funnily enough (Nintendo was never big in my country until one year after the Wii, so I've never seen a Nintendo home console system before in my life before I got my Wii!)

Tease.

Around the Network
megaman79 said:
McStormy1 said:

Might seem strange to your understanding of narrative but that is a narrative clearly. Slow progression through challenges that build to a reward. Excuse the size of the post.

I'm sure a movie or a book with that kind of narrative would fair very well with the critics....

Dude i can only assume your too young to get the concept of narratives but there is a continuing debate about whether playing a game is the same thing as watching a movie. Your playing a role in the narrative, whether thats Wiifit or MGS, and your involvement changes the narrative as you progress.

Theres something to be said about passive entertainment (tv) and whether, i dk Tetris for eg, is ultimately a better, more convincing and appealing narrative simply because you are a part of it. 

We can have movies that range from popcorn movies that require no real thought to very deep movies that may require repeated viewings by some people to understand.  The same can be said for books, pictures, etc.  So I find it hard to understand why some people seem to think that all games should be simple and without any kind of complex plot.  In the end it comes down to personal preference and there are truly great games that were made better by having more than just a basic plot.

phenom08 said:
Legend11 said:
phenom08 said:
Legend11 said:
SmokedHostage said:
Legend11 said:
Grampy,

if you don't own a system and bash it and think u know what ur talking about then yes u r a troll and we r using computer terms a "troll" is a supernatural being in scandinavian mythology, thats like saying "lol" is in the dictionary i guess u should look it up

Well show me how my post was bashing the system.  I stand by my statements.  Is saying that Wii Sports is a system seller considered bashing to you?  Is posting the sales of games on the Wii considered bashing?  Seriously take off the fanboy glasses because you're seeing something that isn't there.

Legend11 said:
phenom08 said:
Legend11 said:
SmokedHostage said:
Legend11 said:
Grampy,

Chill Everyone. Let's not kill another good thread bickering like children. I accept your question as legitimate and I will respond. Every system has megahits that seem to appeal to it's core.  Certainly few things will sell on the hardcore more than GTA 4 for example. I assume we would then as legitimately claim that people bought these consoles particularly for that type of game.

LBP will never ever sell anything like GTA on the PS3, does that mean there is no room for it? Should it never have been written? No, of course not, it adds a great deal to the system and I'm glad it's there and hope it sells well.

Not every game can or should be a super megahit. Several of the games that some of the PS360 crowd like to ridicule the most on the Wii sre obviously target at a young female audience. They'll never sell a gazillion copies because young girls will probably never be a majority on the Wii or anywhere else. But statistics indicate they may well be between 30-40% of gamers. Shouldn't they have games.

Not everyone likes puzzle games like Boomblox, but a lot did. Enough to make it profitable.

And that's the bottom line, the more good games that add to variety and can turn a profit, the better off we all are.

^^ what do you say to people who think MGS4 is too much movie and not enough game though? Isn't that worse, loosing the whole point of it really

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Excellent insight. The key to Wii development is understanding that the platform is different, that the users actually have tastes, and that fun is the main draw for the games

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.