By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz vs. NexGen Wars

Jasmine said:
Final-Fan, it depends on the region. Overall, significant but it varies month to month, and I've stopped looking at all of these sites for sales. I could sit down with the most recent numbers but I do not have all of the actuals for May or June. I know ChartTrack and Enterbrain Inc's numbers aren't wholly available but based on what I know, if you take GFK, NPD, ChartTrack and Enterbrain's hw install base numbers and Top 20 software sales numbers from a few months back, vgchartz deviated by over 20% overall, while nextgenwars deviated by a few % points higher and simexchange's software numbers were much closer than the other two. But nextgenwars was closer than the other two before, so I gave up playing the game and stick to actuals.

Thats not to say vgchartz isn't getting better but keep in mind its easy to figure out approximate sales figures during this period in console's life cycles, especially with hardware sales where they are. I will be paying close attention to what happens once titles like Halo 3, GTA, Metroid, Mario, etc. start hitting retail, then other older titles begin selling in. Watch what happens, then give me a call. At that point, the ebbs and flows of guess-timation become all too obvious.

may or june?  you're gonna need july and a little bit of august too to make up vgcharts numbers.  We all know it doesn't deviate 20% overall, if you think it does you aren't counting all the territories.  How do we know that?  Just look at the shipment numbers when the financial statements came out.  Sony's own figures so far have supported vgcharts figures. 
Nexgenwars is garbage, when the shipment numbers came out the 360 number was actually slightly bigger than the number of consoles shipped.  None on retail shelves huh?

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
Jasmine said:
omgwtfbbq, grow up. Nextgenwars and vgchartz are comparable. Both have a methodology for fans and by fans. Last time I checked, vgchartz didn't own the patent on playing guessing games. Seems to me that vgchartz is changing based on what hes seeing on nextgenwars. I guess it depends on the flavor you choose. And Neogaf censors? They do? One of the most reputable industry web sites out there and you say they censor? Seems to me someone's jealous and it ain't neogaf or nextgenwars. Get a life.

Hi Jasmine.

First warning - you are treading the banning line. Purely for spinning rubbish. We generally don't ban people who jump in to discredit VGChartz, but you seem to be annoying a lot of people.

I was hanging around NGW before coming here, and I know the figures were faked. I monitored them for a while, proved the "increment" script was in action - then had a chat to the guy running the site, who admited as much.

The difference is in the detail, and the amount of work that has been put in. Anyone can stick a simple pie chart with a few numbers on the front of their site. But to date no one has been able to do what ioi & VGChartz has been able to - detailed, weekly sales breakdowns across all regions. This is the VGChartz difference.

And how can you possibly call Neogaf a "reputable industry" site? And there is plenty of proof that they do censor (which I am not going to bother quoting/linking to here).

Tone it down, provide some facts - or get banned and watch from the sidelines.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Jasmine said:
Final-Fan, it depends on the region. Overall, significant but it varies month to month, and I've stopped looking at all of these sites for sales. I could sit down with the most recent numbers but I do not have all of the actuals for May or June. I know ChartTrack and Enterbrain Inc's numbers aren't wholly available but based on what I know, if you take GFK, NPD, ChartTrack and Enterbrain's hw install base numbers and Top 20 software sales numbers from a few months back, vgchartz deviated by over 20% overall, while nextgenwars deviated by a few % points higher and simexchange's software numbers were much closer than the other two. But nextgenwars was closer than the other two before, so I gave up playing the game and stick to actuals.

Thats not to say vgchartz isn't getting better but keep in mind its easy to figure out approximate sales figures during this period in console's life cycles, especially with hardware sales where they are. I will be paying close attention to what happens once titles like Halo 3, GTA, Metroid, Mario, etc. start hitting retail, then other older titles begin selling in. Watch what happens, then give me a call. At that point, the ebbs and flows of guess-timation become all too obvious.

Well please give me your numbers Jasmine??? You already did the calculations so I know you have them, because when I look up the data I get this.

Media Create as of 8/5
WII   -   3,285,081   vgc=3,320,000
PS3   -   1,041,978   vgc=1,080,000
360   -   397,824   vgc=430,000

NPD as of June
WII   -   3,190,000   vgc=3,130,000
PS3   -   1,450,000   vgc=1,490,000
360   -   5,780,000   vgc=6,330,000

Granted I don't have a "MBA from Whartons" so would you help me on the math? Because, I am not getting over 20% in any region or system, much less on average.

The numbers over there are automatically updated based on an average of sales and then readjusted once the US & Japanese #s come out. Europe is basically just a guess (I believe the 360 European #s was originally based on the 40% of the US that the Xbox had). It's not a good place for numbers but the forum used to be a lot more active than this place until it grew.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

Make sure the truth gets out there:
http://digg.com/gaming_news/NexGenWars_are_now_just_copying_VG_Chartz_figures

Around the Network
llewdebkram said:
I use both as a reference point

You should discount disinformation like nexgenwars.  It should be a clue when you realize that their numbers fluctate seemingly at random, and their Xbox numbers said 10.5 million back in January, have gone well into the 11 million units (11.7 I believe) and have scaled back.

I dont think NexGenWars has been updated fo about a month and the numbers are on 'auto' in my opinion.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

PS4 said:
Make sure the truth gets out there:
http://digg.com/gaming_news/NexGenWars_are_now_just_copying_VG_Chartz_figures

I see no reason to believe they are copying figure for figure.  I think they are just seeing overwhelming evidence that their numbers are wrong and updates to scale them down to something more believable quickly become inevitable.  Aside from that I think this is hardly worth starting a digg over.

To Each Man, Responsibility
thors1982 said:

Well please give me your numbers Jasmine??? You already did the calculations so I know you have them, because when I look up the data I get this.

Media Create as of 8/5
WII   -   3,285,081   vgc=3,320,000
PS3   -   1,041,978   vgc=1,080,000
360   -   397,824   vgc=430,000

NPD as of June
WII   -   3,190,000   vgc=3,130,000
PS3   -   1,450,000   vgc=1,490,000
360   -   5,780,000   vgc=6,330,000

Granted I don't have a "MBA from Whartons" so would you help me on the math? Because, I am not getting over 20% in any region or system, much less on average.

If VGCharts can consistently be within 20% every time, that is actually good than if you see within 5% one day, and 50% the next.  It's called statistical trends with a consistent epsilon error.  Having MBA doesn't mean they can do as well a job than ioi.  Not having an MBA doesn't mean they can't do the job of MBAs.  It just depends on what the job is so Jasmine shouldn't use a Wharton MBA to justify that he or she is better than anyone else.

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

mitsuhide said:
I think NexGenWars numbers are on 'auto' in my opinion.

They are on auto. Which is why that site fails IMO. VGChartz FTW!