By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz vs. NexGen Wars

How much do you see VGChartz deviating by Jasmine?

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

I can't go on the site anymore of nexgenwars :s;

This page can be a risk for your computer please go to StopBadware.org for more information that is what I get when I search nexgenwars :s;

Yay, finally they "admit" that they were the ones with wrong sales data. :p

Nothing's cheaper than something free.

F1 vs FOTA, when too much power is in couple peoples hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Jasmine said:
That's great, Lenard, thanks for doing the math for me. My calculations must be off but my MBA from Wharton must not be worth the paper it's printed on because I am still finding total vgchartz % to be off by unacceptable amounts when compared to actuals but, again, this is a fan site so I don't care. I could start up my own site, drop numbers in from here and there, change them whenever, make claims and suck in fans, but I don't. I am not saying vgchartz is the only one, far from it actually.

I come here to read the forums when I have time off, as I do so many others. these type of web sites serve a great purpose on the internet and I'm glad they are around. What I despise is when one site trashes another for no good reason or when one flamer gets a bug up there butt and thinks the site they are on is the only site out there with knowledge.

These type of sites are great for making predictions. It is fun to see how close or not people can come to the real thing. Each month is a shot in the dark and one month vgchartz is closer or nextgenwars is closer or simexchange is closer. It's all good.

Would you be so kind as to show us these "actual" numbers? I am interested.

Jasmine said:
Louie, and I have never paid attention to any of your posts, or seen you so as far as I'm concerned, welcome :) Did you start this post? I didn't think so.

What are you, the forum police? "Grow up" and "Get a Life" are benign compared to some flames I've seen on here. Something tells me if I was more biased and sang praises of one site over another, and did not give fair play to everyone, you'd be just fine. The whole point of forums all over the Web is to be able to speak your mind without having to obey some unspoken laws. Common courtesy says don't use foul language, DON'T MISREPRESENT OTHERS, things of that nature.

If you compare the numbers of your posts to mine, you´ll see why I said welcome.

For the second bolded part: "grow up" and "get a life" are terms directing at one specific person and they can be insulting for some. And no, I wouldn´t. I didn´t even critizise what you said. He is correct, though, nex gen wars did adjust its numbers close to vgchartz numbers. I never said they were wrong. But he was correct, they did. If they did because of vgchartz is another question. 

Around the Network

Final-Fan, it depends on the region. Overall, significant but it varies month to month, and I've stopped looking at all of these sites for sales. I could sit down with the most recent numbers but I do not have all of the actuals for May or June. I know ChartTrack and Enterbrain Inc's numbers aren't wholly available but based on what I know, if you take GFK, NPD, ChartTrack and Enterbrain's hw install base numbers and Top 20 software sales numbers from a few months back, vgchartz deviated by over 20% overall, while nextgenwars deviated by a few % points higher and simexchange's software numbers were much closer than the other two. But nextgenwars was closer than the other two before, so I gave up playing the game and stick to actuals.

Thats not to say vgchartz isn't getting better but keep in mind its easy to figure out approximate sales figures during this period in console's life cycles, especially with hardware sales where they are. I will be paying close attention to what happens once titles like Halo 3, GTA, Metroid, Mario, etc. start hitting retail, then other older titles begin selling in. Watch what happens, then give me a call. At that point, the ebbs and flows of guess-timation become all too obvious.

I switched from nextgenwars also. VG just seems more accurate and offered more in terms of news and good discussions on gaming. Whether it is more accurate or not, I think so. No one site is perfect and only numbers from the company are even close to perfect. But if you scale back your numbers by a million for XBOX360, doesn't that just mean your slipping and probably just slacking off? At least that is what it appears to me. And probably for a lot of people.

http://www.subodesign.com

Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Guitar Hero III, Ghost Squad, Super Mario Galaxy, Wii Sports, Wii Play

for god sake if you ever followed the NexGenWars numbers, it actually had the 360 outselling the Wii, it was just a guesstimate to them, VGcharts actually has the sales data to back theirs up.

Jasmine said:
That's great, Lenard, thanks for doing the math for me. My calculations must be off but my MBA from Wharton must not be worth the paper it's printed on because I am still finding total vgchartz % to be off by unacceptable amounts when compared to actuals but, again, this is a fan site so I don't care. I could start up my own site, drop numbers in from here and there, change them whenever, make claims and suck in fans, but I don't. I am not saying vgchartz is the only one, far from it actually.

I come here to read the forums when I have time off, as I do so many others. these type of web sites serve a great purpose on the internet and I'm glad they are around. What I despise is when one site trashes another for no good reason or when one flamer gets a bug up there butt and thinks the site they are on is the only site out there with knowledge.

These type of sites are great for making predictions. It is fun to see how close or not people can come to the real thing. Each month is a shot in the dark and one month vgchartz is closer or nextgenwars is closer or simexchange is closer. It's all good.

First of all comparing VGChartz and NGW is like comparing apples and oranges.  NGW is straight up a guess, nothing but made up numbers being updated every couple seconds.  VGChartz actually samples retailers and does full sales analysis similar to what NPD does.  So the comparison of the two sites isn't even valid.

As for your MBA from Wharton, I'm not sure why that matters or why you got defensive of someone posting some numbers.  I didn't see him imply you couldn't do the math, he was just making you aware of what the numbers were. Now if you have numbers and sources to refute him feel free to do so, or you can ask him for his numbers and sources so you can see for yourself.  But in the meantime it just seems like you are lashing out at anything that contradicts you.

As for the "actual" numbers you speak of, if there were such as source there would be no need for NPD, MediaCreate, etc... 

I too used to post on NGW, but I got very tired of long stretches where it was painfully obvious that the numbers on the site were completely wrong. I also found the discussion on this site to be far more engrossing as actual numbers, data, and analysis was being done rather than just guessing.  

Until you can provide at least minor proof that NGW is based on something other than just a constant rate of increase for each console with rare updates to fix the gross innacurracies, you are not going to have much luck convincing anyone.  People tend to believe in things they can see, and they reserve faith for their religions. I think it's a bit much for a website to ask people to just believe in their numbers.

To Each Man, Responsibility
taternuts444 said:
for god sake if you ever followed the NexGenWars numbers, it actually had the 360 outselling the Wii, it was just a guesstimate to them, VGcharts actually has the sales data to back theirs up.

Yeah, I remember back during last X-mas the 360 was adding up a fair amount faster than the Wii and now we look back at all the tracking firms and VGChartz and they all show the Wii massively outselling the 360 in decemeber and in the single week the Wii was out in Nov it sold about 65% of what the 360 did in all of Nov. There is no doubt in my mind it was way way off back then, and I have seen no reason to believe they have changed their methods.

To Each Man, Responsibility