By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What will be the maximum and minimum PS3->360 gap in 2009

nojustno said:
EdGuila said:
By the end of 09 DVD line will be on it's last foot. You can only compress so much HD gaming onto a DVD. There is a reason why HD movies required a jump from DVD to BD. Come 2010 the 360 will be a row boat without an oar in the middle of a lake. The PS3 will be at probably 35-40 million units making it worth while for developers to release themselves from the contraints of the DVD and develop freely. Short life cycles are nothing new to Xbox so makes the chances of a premature dumping of the 360 by MS more likely.

stopped reading there

Why? Even if his argument is whack, that line is entirely valid. It's a bit choppy, but entirely valid.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Cueil said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
forevercloud3000 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
forevercloud3000 said:
@theword

it is true that MS could drop price but I highly doubt it. Here is why. MS already cut all the systems prices along with the arcade last year. If they are to be gauged correctly MS would be in the same predicament SOny was in in 07. 360 is definitely cheaper to make then PS3 but not THAT much cheaper that they can do another price cut so soon.

As for Sony's current predicament. I think that the cuts are more so for the other sides of sony such as the its tv and hardware departments. Sony is split into so many different parts which is probably the reason of most of its financial woes. I am thinking alot of these cuts and restructuring will start there. Also This means they will have more viable funds due to them juggling less things. I am geussing more funds will be being pumped into the two most important things for ALL divisions of Sony...
PS3
BluRay

These are the most important because they feed into funds for all the other divisions such as movies, HD tvs, etc.

There is nothing Sony can really do with all the mounds of bad press streaming over the internet besides counteract it with positive press with all of the improvements they are doing over the last few years.

Um....MS broke even so of course they can drop the price if they felt like it. They know what is within their power.

If MS is braking even as we speak, that means that if they drop price that they would start to lose money which is exactly what was happening to the PS3, which is exactly what I said. If MS could just cut price whenever they felt like it they would have done one right alongside Sony's price cut last year. But they cant, because thats not the situation.

Sony is no longer simply breaking even and has room for a price cut, as well as supreme market pressure for them to have one regardless.

Dude...Microsoft broke even in 2008. They are currently making profit off of the system. The PS3 is the only system waiting to make profit and 2009 is the scheduled year that they will.

I don't know... what was their recent model revision?  I know the Arcade got some internal memory, but did they do anything else to cut cost besides the late release of the Jasper?  I'm guessing the one that is comming out this year is going to combine the CPU and GPU and shrink the package... 360Slim?

Yes, the recent model revision was the Jasper version. The Arcade lacks an ethernet cable, headset, HD, The only chords are composite. That in itself cuts about $200 in production costs right off the bat. I believe the CPU and GPU already share the same amount of memory. The slim will probably change it up even more. The question I must ask is, how will the hard drive fit in a 360 slim? It's too large.

Why does the hard drive need to fit inside the case of the slim? If anything you don't want it to so current drives can be used with the new SKU.

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

I think he's suggesting that the girth of the hard drive itself and latch mechanism to the console prevents a 'slimmed' model from being released because the console would still need to be a wide as the hard drive?

Not really, it can just clip onto the top

Never argue with idiots

Problem solved! Although this could be aesthetically 'unpleasing'...but I never latched on to the marketing appeal of the whole sleek chassis design PR. I've heard people talk about the PS3 'looks' better comparatively as if it's an influencing factor to their console preference....whoopdeedoo.

Around the Network

It is surprising that some readers chose not to believe that MS has room to drop the price of the Pro/Elite models by $50 immediately. To justify this just look at their Arcade bundle. It includes Sega Super Star Tennis and still sells for $199. The Pro system is nothing more than the arcade with a hard drive and HDMI cable slap on it. Real cost of the 60GB HD + HDMI cable is at most $50. This is why MS include two games in the pro bundle to justify its value at $299. Take a way those two games and the Pro system is truely only worth $249 now!

Well if April is the month the PS3 gets its price cut (which i cant see happening) then that is 4 months of the 360 outselling the PS3 over 2 to 1. So if each week it sells 200k a week more then the PS3 (it is over 300k currently) then that would mean by April the 360 will have a minimum gap of 800k a month meaning another 2.4m gap by april 1st. Making the gap by april 1st at least 10m units. If we look at sales figures month to month over year to year the 360 has increased sales by well over 50% with some months even at 100%. While the PS3 is down a lot. If we take the % and apply them to last years figures we see last year for the same period of 1st jan to 1st april the PS3 sold 1.6m and the 360 sold 1.5m. So if we assume the PS3 sales remain flat at best and the 360 sales increase by 50% gives us PS3 sales of 1.6m and 360 sales of 3m. Meaning at that point the 360 will have a 10m gap over the PS3.

So my maximum gap is 10m units between the two consoles.

After april we will see a PS3 price cut of about $50, that will give the console an average boost to get on par with the 360 sales but it wont over take it. It would need at bare minimum a $100 price cut to do that and that wont happen, that would mean Sony lose $150 on every PS3 sold and that just is not going to happen as much as fanboys hope it does.

So my minimum gap is 9m simply because the PS3 price cut is not that big a price cut and they will probably do the cut in the shape of a different SKU. They will be cutting in a poor sales period so they will be neck and neck with the PS3 taking the lead for a month or two to gain 1m units back. But then we will enter the last few months of 09 and Microsoft will announce their new games and probably a new price cut for the 360 as they are doing something sony are not which is making a profit.

Right now MS have Sony by their balls, whatever Sony do MS can equal it. The worst thing that has gone against Sony is they have the most expensive console in a financial meltdown. Even if you take off $100 that will remain the same.

09 will be the same as 08 and 07, 360 and PS3 nowhere near the Wii.

The minimum has to be no more than 8 million because that's what it is now, it can't be a minimum of 9 because for most of Jan it will be 8 million which is still 2009

Never argue with idiots

Max 9,312,388
Min i would say wats in my sig but since we're allowed to edit in here 6,879,348

Play Me

EOY (max) - 12.5M
Now (min) - 8M

Rising all the way.

Prediction made on 11/1/2008:

Q4 2008: 27M xbox LTD, 20M PS3 LTD . 2009 sales: 11M xbox,  9M PS3