By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What will be the maximum and minimum PS3->360 gap in 2009

Minimum gap: 6.5 M
Maximum gap: 10 M

Around the Network

Min:17mil
Max:20mil

forevercloud3000 said:
@theword

it is true that MS could drop price but I highly doubt it. Here is why. MS already cut all the systems prices along with the arcade last year. If they are to be gauged correctly MS would be in the same predicament SOny was in in 07. 360 is definitely cheaper to make then PS3 but not THAT much cheaper that they can do another price cut so soon.

As for Sony's current predicament. I think that the cuts are more so for the other sides of sony such as the its tv and hardware departments. Sony is split into so many different parts which is probably the reason of most of its financial woes. I am thinking alot of these cuts and restructuring will start there. Also This means they will have more viable funds due to them juggling less things. I am geussing more funds will be being pumped into the two most important things for ALL divisions of Sony...
PS3
BluRay

These are the most important because they feed into funds for all the other divisions such as movies, HD tvs, etc.

There is nothing Sony can really do with all the mounds of bad press streaming over the internet besides counteract it with positive press with all of the improvements they are doing over the last few years.

Um....MS broke even so of course they can drop the price if they felt like it. They know what is within their power.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
forevercloud3000 said:
@theword

it is true that MS could drop price but I highly doubt it. Here is why. MS already cut all the systems prices along with the arcade last year. If they are to be gauged correctly MS would be in the same predicament SOny was in in 07. 360 is definitely cheaper to make then PS3 but not THAT much cheaper that they can do another price cut so soon.

As for Sony's current predicament. I think that the cuts are more so for the other sides of sony such as the its tv and hardware departments. Sony is split into so many different parts which is probably the reason of most of its financial woes. I am thinking alot of these cuts and restructuring will start there. Also This means they will have more viable funds due to them juggling less things. I am geussing more funds will be being pumped into the two most important things for ALL divisions of Sony...
PS3
BluRay

These are the most important because they feed into funds for all the other divisions such as movies, HD tvs, etc.

There is nothing Sony can really do with all the mounds of bad press streaming over the internet besides counteract it with positive press with all of the improvements they are doing over the last few years.

Um....MS broke even so of course they can drop the price if they felt like it. They know what is within their power.

If MS is braking even as we speak, that means that if they drop price that they would start to lose money which is exactly what was happening to the PS3, which is exactly what I said. If MS could just cut price whenever they felt like it they would have done one right alongside Sony's price cut last year. But they cant, because thats not the situation.

Sony is no longer simply breaking even and has room for a price cut, as well as supreme market pressure for them to have one regardless.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

forevercloud3000 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
forevercloud3000 said:
@theword

PS3
BluRay

If MS is braking even as we speak, that means that if they drop price that they would start to lose money which is exactly what was happening to the PS3, which is exactly what I said. If MS could just cut price whenever they felt like it they would have done one right alongside Sony's price cut last year. But they cant, because thats not the situation.

Sony is no longer simply breaking even and has room for a price cut, as well as supreme market pressure for them to have one regardless.

If MS is breaking even now and they release a new version of their hardware that cost less then they can drop the price down.  That is what they have been doing with the exception of 07's model due to the massive cost of fixing the 360s and th 3yr warrenty.

Around the Network
forevercloud3000 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
forevercloud3000 said:
@theword

PS3
BluRay

Dude...Microsoft broke even in 2008. They are currently making profit off of the system. The PS3 is the only system waiting to make profit and 2009 is the scheduled year that they will.

Next console revisions are due for both XBox 360 and PS3 around August 2009. Cheaper console production, leaving consoles at same prices would result in profits made for MS and Sony. Price cuts can be made when the cheaper consoles are being sold.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
forevercloud3000 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
forevercloud3000 said:
@theword

PS3
BluRay

Dude...Microsoft broke even in 2008. They are currently making profit off of the system. The PS3 is the only system waiting to make profit and 2009 is the scheduled year that they will.

I don't know... what was their recent model revision?  I know the Arcade got some internal memory, but did they do anything else to cut cost besides the late release of the Jasper?  I'm guessing the one that is comming out this year is going to combine the CPU and GPU and shrink the package... 360Slim?

Yea....riiiiggghhht. I seriously doubt that production values for the 360 have gone down so much that they can achieve a 150 price cut in the same 6 months and still maintain a profit.Especially after they had to make so many revisions to the hardware because of it's shody functionality. Thats just crazy talk.

PS3 on the other hand had been loosing money for quite sometime, we ALL new that. That was until mil last year. Sony had not been advertising it but they were drastically cutting costs of the PS3's hardware. Cell chips went down, BluRay diods went down from 125 to 8 bucks, and regular depreciation of hardware parts I would say add another 50 bucks to it. PS3 is the system most ready for another price cut. 360 JUST had one, they are not getting another anytime before christmas season this year. PS3 has room for one early on and one later on, enough to bring back the glory from last years winning period and then some.

I posted some of the sources about PS3 tech going down in production costs.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Cueil said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
forevercloud3000 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
forevercloud3000 said:
@theword

PS3
BluRay

I don't know... what was their recent model revision?  I know the Arcade got some internal memory, but did they do anything else to cut cost besides the late release of the Jasper?  I'm guessing the one that is comming out this year is going to combine the CPU and GPU and shrink the package... 360Slim?

Yes, the recent model revision was the Jasper version. The Arcade lacks an ethernet cable, headset, HD, The only chords are composite. That in itself cuts about $200 in production costs right off the bat. I believe the CPU and GPU already share the same amount of memory. The slim will probably change it up even more. The question I must ask is, how will the hard drive fit in a 360 slim? It's too large.