By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metacritic's 90+ Games this gen, by platform

Squilliam said:
shio said:
Squilliam said:
I would call "Out of the park Baseball" an outlier, it only has 5 reviews and they are not all from what you'd call good sites. I would strike it from the list if I was you.

In addition to this I would say that Falcon 4 was an outlier as well with only 7 reviews posted. The trend is generally downward and its not fair to compare games with 60 reviews to a game which has merely got 7.

Lastly, this is optional but I would consider the generation as starting in 2006 because the Xbox 360 was only released near the very tail of 2005.

You are talking about PC games. The large majority of PC games aren't even listed on Metacritic and Gamerankings, and you still want to remove the ones that do have reviews?!

And PC Gamer, Gamespy and Gamespot (in 2005) aren't reputed reviewers?

There are only 5 or 7 of them. You should know if you follow any of the drama surrounding Metacritic that the scores trend downwards with time. 5 or 7 aren't enough to truely guage a game when there are others who have been scored under that 90 mark due to random newspaper reviews etc. The score may be good on its own but it isn't directly comparable with the console games which have 70 reviews+

That is not the rule. The downtrend is only more likely on big releases because the first reviewers have a good chance of giving inflated scores because they think they're obligated. Small, unhyped releases have as much chance of downtrending as uptrending.

Edit: ofcourse the more reviews the better, but you gotta take what you get.

Around the Network

I thought Rock Band 2 was also >90% for Wii?

Edit:nvm

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

the averages aren't equal, e.g 90% over 60 reviews vs 85% over 110 reviews.

the second game is possibly better scoring well over more reviewers.

Gears of War and Braid aren't exclusive to 360. PC already has Gears with extra content and Braid is on it's way.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:
Gears of War and Braid aren't exclusive to 360. PC already has Gears with extra content and Braid is on it's way.

Gears of War 2.  And this list is as of Jan 3 2009, not the future.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Around the Network
Million said:

Metacritic does not do a plain average.  They keep their methodology secret, and use weighted averages.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

colonelstubbs said:
All this thread has done has made me want to buy bioshock for my 360

You don't have Bioshock yet??  Go get (great game)!

This was a good year for the PS3 though, as a year ago, this would have been much more lopsided.

frybread said:
Million said:

Metacritic does not do a plain average.  They keep their methodology secret, and use weighted averages.

The METASCORE is considered a weighted average because we assign more significance, or weight, to some critics and publications than we do to others, based on the overall stature and quality of those critics and publications. In addition, for music and movies, we also normalize the resulting scores (akin to "grading on a curve" in college), which prevents scores from clumping together.

In addition, for our film and music sections, all of the weighted averages are normalized before generating the METASCORE. To put it another way that should be familiar to anyone who has taken an exam in high school or college, all of our movies, games, and CDs are graded on a curve. Thus the METASCORE may be higher or lower than the true weighted average of the individual reviews, thanks to this normalization calculation. Normalization causes the scores to be spread out over a wider range, instead of being clumped together. Generally, higher scores are pushed higher, and lower scores are pushed lower. Unlike in high school, this is a good thing, since it provides more of a distinction between scores and allows you to better compare scores across movies (or CDs).

http://www.metacritic.com/about/scoring.shtml#scoring

i think this weakens my argument but doesn't refute it completley.

frybread said:
Gamer's score is biased too though.

The most scientific score is actual playtime. Xfire (PC) and Nintendo Channel (Wii) are the only places that monitor that, however. If PS3 and 360 would get something similar, I'd do away with reviews.

No, it's not. Myself and others refuted this claim in the IGN goty thread but you seem to want to hold on to your misleading claim. A gem that nobody plays is still a gem. Playtime is not indicative of quality. You are looking for a neat and tidy way to judge games where no such method exists.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Barozi said:
frybread said:
Every platform has great games in the high 80's that deserve to be in the 90's.

yeah but this time there were 6 games on the 360 which had a rating of 90, but after 3-4 weeks when the last reviews arrived they were rated down by 1. Sad

BTW. You missed Geometry Wars 2 on the exclusive list and if you add ports on the Wii as well, where is Guitar Hero 2 for 360 ?

these aggregated scores are stupid, i cnt belive some ppl judge a game according to metacritic.

a good example is fable 2, it was 92 according to 52 reviews, then aggregated to 89 from 70+ reviews? does the game all of a sudden become less worthy at 70+ reviews aggregated compared to 52+ reviews aggregated.

its just a joke

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...