By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metacritic's 90+ Games this gen, by platform

The biggest flaw Metacritic has is that they don't add nowhere near the amount of games and reviews that Gamerankings does. So Metacritic often overlooks lesser known games that have been rated high.

One example is "Wings of Power II - WWII Fighters", which came out for PC in 2006, and on gamerankings it had 3 reviews:
88% - PC Gamer
92% - PC Gameworld
98% - Game Vortex

It had an average well above 90%, but since Metacritic only allows games with 4 reviews to have a meta rating, then "Wings of Power II - WWII Fighters" is simply just not ranked.

There's dozens of examples like this one when we're talking about PC games. The Luxor games, Eternal Eden, Samantha Swift all have been released in the last few years and have an average of +90%, but since they don't have enough reviews they're ignored.

Around the Network

thats mean the 360 is the king of the 90+ games in the consoles

@shio:  Thanks, I see that with Wii games as well. Seems like most reviewers care about 360.

I'll make a list of gamerankings as well.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

shio said:
The biggest flaw Metacritic has is that they don't add nowhere near the amount of games and reviews that Gamerankings does. So Metacritic often overlooks lesser known games that have been rated high.

One example is "Wings of Power II - WWII Fighters", which came out for PC in 2006, and on gamerankings it had 3 reviews:
88% - PC Gamer
92% - PC Gameworld
98% - Game Vortex

It had an average well above 90%, but since Metacritic only allows games with 4 reviews to have a meta rating, then "Wings of Power II - WWII Fighters" is simply just not ranked.

There's dozens of examples like this one when we're talking about PC games. The Luxor games, Eternal Eden, Samantha Swift all have been released in the last few years and have an average of +90%, but since they don't have enough reviews they're ignored.

That's not a flaw. They shouldn't be counted, because you can't make an accurate average score out of 3 reviews.

I would call "Out of the park Baseball" an outlier, it only has 5 reviews and they are not all from what you'd call good sites. I would strike it from the list if I was you.

In addition to this I would say that Falcon 4 was an outlier as well with only 7 reviews posted. The trend is generally downward and its not fair to compare games with 60 reviews to a game which has merely got 7.

Lastly, this is optional but I would consider the generation as starting in 2006 because the Xbox 360 was only released near the very tail of 2005.

Tease.

Around the Network

Shio:
From 2005 to now, PC has 55 90%+ rated games on Gamerankings. That's insane.  I'm going to need some time.

Squilliam:
There are games that deserve 90+ too.  PC would have GTA IV as a 90+ game, it performs better than the consoles, but one site gave it a 10/100.  In the end this is Metacritic's problem, not ours.  I'm just listing what they put up as 90+, no special corrections.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

i stopped caring about reviews along time ago (summer last year) after the whole GTA4 fiasco on these forums i just got fed up with the bitching that reviews allways bring

Squilliam said:
I would call "Out of the park Baseball" an outlier, it only has 5 reviews and they are not all from what you'd call good sites. I would strike it from the list if I was you.

In addition to this I would say that Falcon 4 was an outlier as well with only 7 reviews posted. The trend is generally downward and its not fair to compare games with 60 reviews to a game which has merely got 7.

Lastly, this is optional but I would consider the generation as starting in 2006 because the Xbox 360 was only released near the very tail of 2005.

You are talking about PC games. The large majority of PC games aren't even listed on Metacritic and Gamerankings, and you still want to remove the ones that do have reviews?!

And PC Gamer, Gamespy and Gamespot (in 2005) aren't reputed reviewers?

shio said:
Squilliam said:

You are talking about PC games. The large majority of PC games aren't even listed on Metacritic and Gamerankings, and you still want to remove the ones that do have reviews?!

And PC Gamer, Gamespy and Gamespot (in 2005) aren't reputed reviewers?

There are only 5 or 7 of them. You should know if you follow any of the drama surrounding Metacritic that the scores trend downwards with time. 5 or 7 aren't enough to truely guage a game when there are others who have been scored under that 90 mark due to random newspaper reviews etc. The score may be good on its own but it isn't directly comparable with the console games which have 70 reviews+

Tease.

All this thread has done has made me want to buy bioshock for my 360

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot