By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii is supposed to be a gaming revolution? Oh dear..

Outcast said:
Shanobi said:

That's lame. Take a photo of yourself holding the games, and a sign that says "Hello VGChartz", and then maybe you might gain a bit of cred. But as it is, pffffffssh.

Laughable.

I don't know if you're joking but I'm laughing anyway.

Look at all the PS3 games I bought today!

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

Around the Network

I just got a Wii for Christmas and one thing is abundantly clear from the moment that you turn it on the graphics don't even come close to the PS360. Not even for a second. So on that note yes people if you already Have an HD console proceed with caution. You will have a lot of moments where you will say "damn I wish this was in HD".

Thing is I didn't buy the thing for graphics I bought it for parties and getogeathers. There's 4 player action on the Wii and casual games that people can pick up and have a lot of fun with together (only LBP can compare in terms of games you can play with 3 other casual gamers and still have fun). I agree that Galaxy is spectacular and is now my favorite Mario game. Twilight Princess it pains me to say I bought it when it came out in 2006 and have yet to beat it. The Wind Waker was actually a better game. Brawl and MK Wii are kinda "more of the same" gameplay that if you had the N64 or Gamecube iterations you will not be "wowed" by them.

Still while I prefer my PS3 I don't doubt for a second that Wii will continue to offer new exciting and innovative gameplay experiences. And owning PS3/Wii/PC means I never have to miss out on any of the games that interest me.

Shanobi said:
Outcast said:
Shanobi said:

That's lame. Take a photo of yourself holding the games, and a sign that says "Hello VGChartz", and then maybe you might gain a bit of cred. But as it is, pffffffssh.

Laughable.

So you weren't joking? Omg...

Esa-Petteri said:
Shanobi said:
Outcast said:
Shanobi said:

Laughable.

So you weren't joking? Omg...

Wow, he wasn't joking... I think my first thoughts when I realized that was: "Wtf?"

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Shanobi said:
Outcast said:
Shanobi said:

Laughable.

Haha, wow..

Around the Network
Outcast said:  I commented

As a PS3 only owner, I've wanted to buy myself a Wii for about a year and finally decided to buy one this christmas. I wasn't going to do this by halves so I bought some of the highest rated games on the system and settled down to what I'd hoped was going to be a few weeks of amazing gaming:

Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda Twilight Princess, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Zack and Wiki, Metroid Prime 3 and Mario Kart Wii.

Quite frankly, I've never been more disappointed by a games console purchase in my life. I'll give a quick run through of the games I've played:

Super Mario Galaxy: OK, this is definitely a good game and by far the best out of the games I've purchased. It certainly isn't game of the forever/decade as a lot of people seem to claim, however. I certainly did enjoy it though, I'd rate it about a 9/10.  Nothing wrong with this assessment.

Mario Kart Wii: Quite fun for a while. Identical to the DS version in pretty much every way and the online mode is very basic. There doesn't seem to be any longetivity in the single player mode either. Oh, and the character voices are the most annoying thing I've ever heard; 7/10  It draws from the DS version but is NOT the same.

Super Smash Bros Brawl: Hugely disappointed with this. I've tried playing online a few times and it literally takes about 15 minutes to find a partner. I don't know if it's to do with my level or whatever but that is ridiculous. The fact that theres only about 10 different moves/combos per character is pretty ridiculous too. I prefer my fighting games to have huge move lists and combos to master; 5/10  Right about the anonymous matches -- it is made for Friends matches. And the single-player mode is as long as some PS3 games.

Zelda: TP: This is alright. I'm going to guess you have to play the previous games in the series to think it's amazing and as this is my first Nintendo console, I haven't. I've played a lot of superior games in the genre, frankly; 6/10  What games do you consider superior?

Zack and Wiki: Not my type of game at all. Boring point and click puzzler with a very childish presentation; 3/10 This is not a game for everyone -- but everyone knows it is point-and-click.

Metroid Prime 3: FPS games are probably my favourite genre and this game did nothing for me. I'd put it on the level of games like Timeshift; 4/10  This is not an FPS. That has been said, but too many people still misclassify this.

These games are supposedly the best the Wii has to offer and I only truly agree with Super Mario Galaxy. When I look at the list of games on the Wii, very little else currently appeals to me. I hated animal crossing on the DS, Wii music just looks awful, Wii Fit I know I'll get bored of after 10 minutes.. what else is there?  No More Heroes. de Blob.

I'd advise any other HD console only owners to seriously consider your purchasing plans if you want to buy a Wii like I did. I think we've been spoilt. The graphics in general are quite a lot worse than I'd expected on my HDTV and the downloadable games are extortionately priced, you even have to pay to get an internet browser on your Wii it seems.  500 points for a browser is true but unlike the Xbox 360 you can get one for the Wii.  And most games are 1000 points or less. (100 points generally equals one unit of currency (USD, UKP, etc.)

This is why I find it hilarious that Wii owners claim we should be jealous of your pointer and motion control. Trust me, you shouldn't be jealous at all, we have it a lot better. I can appreciate the fact that it's certainly bringing a lot more money into the industry and a lot more gamers will bring gaming further into the mainstream. As a games machine, its games are failling far short of my mark.  No one claims PS3 owners should be jealous --only that it is not going to stop selling like some PS3 owners like to think it will.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Outcast said:

Quite frankly, I've never been more disappointed by a games console purchase in my life. I'll give a quick run through of the games I've played:

I'm actually amazed by how defensive my fellow wii fans have gotten at your reviews.

• Super Mario Galaxy - you seem pretty realistic about it
  • Mario Kart Wii - it is very obvious that what you are saying is true, it is mostly a tweaked MKDS
  • SSBB - if online is your thing, then SSBB would be a huge disappointment
  • Zelda TP - it does seem by the games you compared it to (later in the thread) that you expected Zelda to be something it is not; Zelda is more of an action/adventure game with puzzle elements; if you were expecting an RPG it makes sense you would be disappointed
  • Zack and Wiki - you say its not your type, so what more is there to say
  • Metroid Prime 3 - it is well documented that FPS fans tend to hate the Metroid series, so I don't know why anyone is surprised by your review; I think its because Metroid looks just enough like a FPS to set certain expectations, but an FPS it is not 

Now I love these games, but I don't think you were just plain slamming them. And while some might think your closing comments that HD fans should think about it before buying a Wii was flamebait, I think thats just good advice; you should never lay down $500 for a console and games without first investigating if it is likely to suit your tastes.

That's just silly. Those games are fine games.

I liked TP. But dont flame this fellow overmuch.

I can understand your point of view, but you went and bought a Wii without ever playing ANY of these games before and decided to buy them all t once? There ahsn't been alot of time between today and Christmas so how can you have possibly played all these games thoroughly and enjoy the max experience each game brings with it?

I disagree with pretty much all the reviews (except Zak and Wiki because I haven't played it) but Mario Kart Wii is too much fun to play with friends, as is Brawl. Metroid is an EXCELLENT game, beautiful graphics and great gameplay. Mario Galaxy looks stunning and each level is creative in its own way. Also, I agree with Brawl's online, the game is horrid online andhaven't played it in ages.