By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii is kO'ing everyone

TheSource said:

Given that Wii is the most popular of the three, and the attach rates are similar to PS3/360 on a per console basis, its pretty clear its because Wii owners are satisfied with their lineup of games, and see no reason to argue over the nature of exclusivity, micro sales trends, etc.

Game attach rates are effectively a measure of satisfaction. No console has ever had an attach rate of over ~11 games, and even PS2 needed eight years to get the attach rate that high. If you can sell 100 million consoles and keep people reasonably happy so that they will buy more than a dozen games (figure 30 million buy 20 games+ and the rest buy 20 or less), its much better than selling 40 million consoles and keeping people very happy (figure 15 million buy 30 games+, and the rest buy 30 or less). Diversity is key to demographic success. PS2 is at 133.8m shipped through September 2008 and 1.4b units of software through the same time frame - thats a measure of confidence. In the Americas, which is where most of the users on this site are from, Wii has an attach rate of about 8 games/console overall. Thats pretty good in terms of gamer satisfaction for two years, given that the average PS2 owner has only 11 games after buying the system in ~2003 - about five years. What it suggests is, given a similar or greater sales trajectory, Wii gamers will end up with 15 games or something after owning the system for five years. Alot of people on the site seem to prefer being in the super-satisfied category, having grown up with the N64 which averaged about 6 games sold per console...over five years.

Personally, I'm trending toward about 55 Wii games, 25 Wiiware games, and 10 Virtual Consoles and I consider that a massive investment of time and cash even over seven to ten years, so I don't know why some people insist a system needs 100s of similar games when you'll never have time to play them all. Most of you consider yourselves hardcore but will only buy 30 games or less for a given system.

I am a huge fan of TheSource now.

In other words, the Wii games are better, that's why they sell so much! They are worse for you? Everyone is entitled of his opinion but you should understand by now that you belong to a minority. Deal with it.

Around the Network

Curse you HappySqurriel, oh curse you!

Wii software sales beat the crap out of HD software sales. Mario Kart? Wii Fit? Wii Play? Mario Galaxy? Twilight Princess? Smash Bros. Brawl? Lol those games might end up selling more than all software on the HD consoles combined... XD

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

HappySqurriel said:
Skeeuk said:
leo-j said:

Alright not to sound like a troll or anything, but why do wii fans constantly bring up the wii's sales, yet never speak of its games?

"Wii is beating the shit out of the ps3 and 360, ha" yes in sales..

"Wii is Koing everyone, and it deserves it I have one" k in sales..

Why do wii fans bring up sales, and not games? While 360 and ps3 fans always bring up games?

Is the wii more of a selling machine, or a gaming machine to its fans? They dont stop talking about its sales(Then act so superior because the wii is the king because of its sales, despite its quality compared to the ps3 and 360)

<---------------- this car, an austin allegro sold more cars than..........

<---------------- this car a mclaren f1

the mclaren is the superior car, but the damn allegro sold more.

^i know the above is a bit extreme, but i just wanted to show that because something sells better doesnt automatically make the product better.

this seems to be a problem on vg chartz, instead of enjoying the games that YOU like to play, some people try to put others down that thier product is somewhat better because it sells more.

anyone who disagrees with my reasoning is "derranged"

YOU CANNOT PLAY SALES BUT YOU CERTAINLY CAN PLAY GAMES...........AND THATS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT.

play the games that you like to play and dont let anyone else tell you otherwise.

^to those who claim something is better than other purely on the basis it sold more

nintendogs > fable 2 lmao..............................................

You can argue that the McLaren F1 is a better car than the Austin Allegro but the Austin Allegro is a car that can be driven in a winter climate, can go over speed bumps, and the total cost of ownership would be less than the insurance on the McLaren F1.

In other words, there are several metrics where the McLaren F1 performs so poorly that it could easily be argued that the car is worthless for most people.

well lol i did say its a bit extreme, but the point remains, something cannot better ie a game, simply because it sold more.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

I've said this before. Many of the people I know would rather eat vomit than play many of the 'highly rated' games like Gears of War or Metal Gear Solid. These people are normal adults with lots of disposable income. To them, Mario Kart and Wii Sports are excellent video games. Believe it or not, there are probably billions of people who don't like the violent, complicated games.

Around the Network
Cheebee said:
Wii software sales beat the crap out of HD software sales. Mario Kart? Wii Fit? Wii Play? Mario Galaxy? Twilight Princess? Smash Bros. Brawl? Lol those games might end up selling more than all software on the HD consoles combined... XD

there you go again...................^.......................but theres hd games that beat the crap out of the games you listed.

difference being, i claim hd games are better simply because of the merit within them games for the gamer, not because of the sales.

if you want to feel good about yourself because of more sales then go ahead, makes no difference to me. its your loss

i have mario kart and mario galaxy and there both excellent games, but i never say to myself or others they are better because they sell more. or make any jibe that mario kart outsold eg forza 2 etc etc..................

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

leo-j said:

Alright not to sound like a troll or anything, but why do wii fans constantly bring up the wii's sales, yet never speak of its games?

Why do wii fans bring up sales, and not games? While 360 and ps3 fans always bring up games?

Is the wii more of a selling machine, or a gaming machine to its fans? They dont stop talking about its sales(Then act so superior because the wii is the king because of its sales, despite its quality compared to the ps3 and 360)

Hmmmm..... kind of reminds me of Sony fanboys of the last generation lol.

Just kiss the tip.

i still remeber ps1 and ps2 gens where thats all the sony fans did.

leo-j said:

This is a sales site...

I think you may have missed this in your brilliant analysis.

I bring up both. Does that make me weird? Because if it does I always love following my own path.