By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dragon Qust 10: The Snowball Effect

Wow, there's so much nonsense in this thread.

a) Western games aren't better than Japanese games. RE5, FFXIII, WKC, Star Ocean, Metal Gear, Pro Evo, etc. are all very much high on the most wanted lists of HD console owners. The fact that FPSs sell very well only tells us that that genre is casualized much more than the more core oriented Japanese games.

b) Japan is still an important market. Due to core Japanese games like DQ and MH Wii could end up selling around 20 million. Konami, Capcom, Atlus, SE, etc definitely care about the home market as well, thus taking away valuable funds that could otherwise be invested in PS360 games.

c) JRPGs are still very much important. Not because of huge sales per se, but because the genre attracts die hard fans. Before DQX it was already clear Wii would be the JRPG console of choice, but the announcement will only amplifie this. In 2009 alone Wii's JRPG library will be bigger than that of the PS360 combined. People can say it's not important all they want, the hype around games like WKC and Star Ocean already tells me it is very much an important genre.

d) Fans of Western games are on 360/PS3. So? This thread is about DQX. And so far it is clear that Japanese games definitely sell much more hardware and software so far. Even the king of the Western games, GTAIV, gets outsold in its launchyear by two games. If anything the industry is trending more Japanese, even though this is mostly a single company.

Around the Network
bigjon said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
I think most of us realize that DQ10 isn't a real "killer app."

This is just another "The Wii will get serious 3rd party support when XYZ comes/happens" thread.

I am sure you would be hail it as PS3 savior no. 67 if it were coming out on the PS3.

The West Still follows the east, especially the core gaming community.

HD fanboys down playing this are just in denial.

The West follows the East how?  If East = Nintendo, and follows is in relation to console designs, MAYBE you are onto something.  But, as far as game sales go, top selling game titles worldwide are made where?  Also, as far as RPGs go this time, which genre of RPGs sell the most?  

The core gaming community is what?  I see Rock Band/Guitar Heroes, GTA, Halo and Madden as core gamer gamers.  And these come from the East or West?

I am NOT saying that the East isn't important, however Europe is a MUCH bigger factor than Japan now, as is North America.  And these have different tastes than the East.  You do have key designers that are Japanese, who made the Wii the Wii, but that is different, than core.

Dragon Quest X also likely means a lot more Square-Enix support. 

Like perhaps Final Fantasy VII Remake. Though I'm sure there's no interest in the West for that, lol. 

I'm fine with the Wii living off great Japanese 3rd party support. The NES/SNES were mostly great Nintendo games + great Japanese 3rd party titles. 

The DS has also developed a very nice library with mostly just Nintendo + Japanese 3rd party support. 

Nintendo isn't like Sony or MS, they don't need to have 500 3rd parties from every country propping them up. Nintendo just needs some help to fill in the blanks, and quality titles like Dragon Quest X, Monster Hunter 3, MadWorld, Tales, etc. can fill out a library very nicely even for gamers outside of Japan. 

The quality of the Wii library is likely to improve a lot the next two years, just like the DS did in its 3rd and 4th year, and that was largely on the back of better Japanese 3rd party content. That's all I care about, I don't care where the game comes from, as long as its high quality. 

Xen said:
montrealsoon said:

Might you add BRAIN TRAINING?

Add Wii Fit first then...

good point.

Wow, there's so much nonsense in this thread.

a) Western games aren't better than Japanese games. RE5, FFXIII, WKC, Star Ocean, Metal Gear, Pro Evo, etc. are all very much high on the most wanted lists of HD console owners. The fact that FPSs sell very well only tells us that that genre is casualized much more than the more core oriented Japanese games.

If FPS games are more "casualized" then why aren't they selling better on Wii?  I mean people can say what they want about the Wii version of CoD:WaW but it basically had the field to itself on that system.  That alone should have made up for any perceived disadvantages that version of the game had especially considering how crowded the competition was for the PS3 and 360 versions of the game.

b) Japan is still an important market. Due to core Japanese games like DQ and MH Wii could end up selling around 20 million. Konami, Capcom, Atlus, SE, etc definitely care about the home market as well, thus taking away valuable funds that could otherwise be invested in PS360 games.

Konami has already stated they have a major 360/PS3 game planned.  Square Enix still has Star Ocean 4, Final Fantasy 13, etc coming out for HD consoles.   Multiple studios are working on a major horror game that runs on UE3.  Capcom is rumored to have 3 major games in production for HD consoles in addition to the ones we already know about.  Microsoft has promised to bring more RPGs to the 360.  Even if the Wii takes away some of the development budgets there are still big Japanese developed games coming this year and next for the HD consoles.

c) JRPGs are still very much important. Not because of huge sales per se, but because the genre attracts die hard fans. Before DQX it was already clear Wii would be the JRPG console of choice, but the announcement will only amplifie this. In 2009 alone Wii's JRPG library will be bigger than that of the PS360 combined. People can say it's not important all they want, the hype around games like WKC and Star Ocean already tells me it is very much an important genre.

If we can't measure a game's importance and impact by its sales then how can someone claim that they're having a greater impact than games selling millions more?  If FF13 sells millions of copies more outside of Japan than any other JRPG it must be having more of an impact than if 10 lesser known RPGs sell 100,000 each outside of Japan.  Nobody is arguing about Japan (at least I don't think so) this is about the West.

d) Fans of Western games are on 360/PS3. So? This thread is about DQX. And so far it is clear that Japanese games definitely sell much more hardware and software so far. Even the king of the Western games, GTAIV, gets outsold in its launchyear by two games. If anything the industry is trending more Japanese, even though this is mostly a single company.

This thread isn't only about DQX since the original poster is claiming in his 4th paragraph that DQX will somehow cause Western third-parties to move to the Wii.  Considering how well Western made games sell in Japan it's a dubious claim.  I won't comment if Japanese games are better system sellers than Western made games, I think there are too many variables to tell either way.

Around the Network
sunday_goes said:
bla bla bla wii will destroy the competition bla bla bla same as usual

??????

mM

the snowball effect has yet to be seen. i think its all up to Final fantasy right now. depending on how well the next one sells on both ps3 and 360 will determine if the next next one comes out for wii also or simply a wii exclusive.

even though DQ is bigger than ff, FF has a much bigger impact than DQ because it has a worldwide fan base not just a japanese

hello how are you.

FF13 was already announced and in development before the Wii came out, so there's not a lot Nintendo can do about that. Square-Enix can't stop development of that because they've already spent so much money on it, so they did the only thing they could do -- port it to the 360 to try and maximize sales.  

Wouldn't surprise me if there is a version of FF13 on the Wii HD some day though. 

Final Fantasy VII Remake is still on the table though, putting that on the Wii would make a lot of sense. DQX will do big in Japan, but S-E likely also is wanting to cash in off the Wii's no.1 position in North America and Europe too, and FF7 Remake certainly could do that. 

legend11's posts are denial personified

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

I am shocked that you people are still arguing over East is more important, no west is more important blah blah

while that is debatable does no one see the glaring problem with this guys post? He says blatently HD owners should be scared and that one game DQ is going to kill HD gaming. Such a post is rediculous and you guys can drag all the other games into your arguments like you want but the fact is its still a stupid post.