By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What do you think will be the PS3's LTD sales?

leo-j said:
Avinash_Tyagi said: 

PSP isn't a console its a handheld

Learn to read, my sig says consoles

Also PS2 is at 123 million, check VGC numbers

The ps2 has sold over 140million consoles according to sony at e3, so im sure consumer sales wise its hit 140million.

Sony gives shipped numbers, unless ioi changes it, it is at 123 million

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
BTFeather55 said:

My Prediction for when I believe the current consoles will be retired:

Wii 80,000,000 -100,000,000
PS3 50,000,000-102,000,000
360 37,500,000 - 50,000,000 (It will be replaced by the next one before Gears 3 comes out imho)

Well, that's cheating. A 52 million range?

And you expect the NextBox to come out before November 2010?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

|Y|A|O|I|
¯¯¯¯¯¯My anti-drug™

leo-j said:
Avinash_Tyagi said: 

PSP isn't a console its a handheld

Learn to read, my sig says consoles

Also PS2 is at 123 million, check VGC numbers

The ps2 has sold over 140million consoles according to sony at e3, so im sure consumer sales wise its hit 140million.

While I am pretty sure I have told you this at least twice before (perhaps not directly, but I have explained it in many threads that you were part of)

Here we go.

The claim that the PS2 had passed 140 million IS A LIE, or at best a huge mistake. David Reeves was I believe the purpetrator of that falsification, and the truth is that as of the end of March 2008 the PS2 was just passing 130 million consoles according to the sum of Sony's fiscal statements.

There is a slight problem with those fiscal statements unfortunately, in that before March 2007 Sony reported produced consoles, since which they have been reporting sales to retail. The problem with that lies in the fact that produced will always stay 1-2 million ahead of the shipped (sold to retail) figure because of course they need to be produced before they can get to the shops. Thus the problem is that when you add together the produced figure from launch to March 2007 with the shipped figures thereafter, you are actually counting at least 1 million consoles twice. That is why the two different types of figures are kept seperate on the website Sony has to show shipments.

Admitedly with such huge figures, a 1-2 million difference isn't that importan for the PS2, as all it means is it had to wait 2-3 extra months to pass 130 million.... which it has now done. The figure for the PS2 as of the end of September is 117.89 million produced consoles from before March 2007, plus 17.74 million shipped since then.

This comes to 135.63 million which should in reality be taken down 1-2 million so as not to count consoles twice... to somewhere between 133.63 - 134.63 million.

-----------

There is however an additional problem with using the produced consoles figure from before March 2007, because that figure could (we don't know for sure, but it is likely) also include PS2s that have not actually been shipped to retail, but were sent out by Sony as replacements to faulty consoles, which for the PS2 will be quite a large amount.... I would estimate at least 15 million consoles, most from launch years (2000-2001) will have broken, some of those owners may have not bothered to replace it, some may have replaced it from a store, but of those who sent it in to Sony, I would guess a good chunk of them were sent replacement PS2s (I think more than half would have had PS2s repaired rather than replaced though) And I will admit this is pure guesswork, but I highly doubt less than 5 million PS2s have been sent out as replacements.... a figure that should really be taken off the PS2 total shipped figure, bringing it down to about 128-129 million as of the end of September.

Kantor said:
BTFeather55 said:

My Prediction for when I believe the current consoles will be retired:

Wii 80,000,000 -100,000,000
PS3 50,000,000-102,000,000
360 37,500,000 - 50,000,000 (It will be replaced by the next one before Gears 3 comes out imho)

Well, that's cheating. A 52 million range?

And you expect the NextBox to come out before November 2010?

I expect the next xbox to come  out prior to Gears 3.  It would be a big surprise if it was announced at the GDC that should be coming up in about eight weeks or so from now (I really haven't looked up its date, but it seems like the place where MS likes to make their big announcements), but I think it won't be released any later than November 2010.  Of course there could be three years between Gears 2 and 3 like there was between Halo 2 and 3, so I guess Gears 3 could be released in 2011 and maybe the next xbox at the same time.  If the next xbox comes out November 2011, then another 10 million should probably be added to my 360 number.

One thing  I think this will really depend upon though is how certain games being released this year fare in sales and reviews.  If Halo Wars, Star Ocean 4, and Alan Wake come out to rave reviews and tremendous sales, the lifespan of the 360 would be lengthened to 2011; however, if some of these key games follow the patterns of some of the ones from last year like Ninja Gaiden II, Too Human, etc, then you would expect a shorter 360 lifespan.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Around the Network

Any prediction below 50 million lifetime sales of PS3 is insane.

It's only been out 2 years, and that's only a 1/3 of the probably 6 years until the PS4 is released. In 2 years it's sold almost 20 mill, so in 6 years it should sell 3x20 mill = 60 million. Add to that some sales beyond 2012, at least 5 million, and we've easily got 65 million PS3s.

Lale said:

It's only been out 2 years, and that's only a 1/3 of the probably 6 years until the PS4 is released. In 2 years it's sold almost 20 mill, so in 6 years it should sell 3x20 mill = 60 million. Add to that some sales beyond 2012, at least 5 million, and we've easily got 65 million PS3s.

Consoles often decline in sales after a few years, and PS4 will be out before 2012

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Lale said:

Consoles often decline in sales after a few years, and PS4 will be out before 2012

ps3 will only go up because its still so expnesive. also what do you mean ps4 WILL be out before 2012? you dont know that. my prediction for ps3 is that at the least it will sell 60 million.  its done 20 million in 2years( not even 2 years in europe yet) and im expecting sales to rise like crazy in the next 2 years. especially if there is a worldwide price cut.

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Lale said:

ps3 will only go up because its still so expnesive. also what do you mean ps4 WILL be out before 2012? you dont know that. my prediction for ps3 is that at the least it will sell 60 million.  its done 20 million in 2years( not even 2 years in europe yet) and im expecting sales to rise like crazy in the next 2 years. especially if there is a worldwide price cut.

Unlikely, as 360 will just drop prices undercutting it again

Avinash_Tyagi said:
35-45 million tops

LOL   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!