By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii 2, Playstation 4 and XBox 720 Release Dates?

sony said that the ps3 life cycle is 10 years meaning ps4 in minimum 2016.

Around the Network
misterd said:

The Nintendo Uus

A year ago I was thinking the Uus would be out 2010. I fully expected Wii demand to let up, prices to drop, and an announcement made in late 2009. Since then, Wii dominance has not only continued, it has increased. It is unlikely to see its first price drop until late 2009 at the earliest, and with the WiiMotion Plus the waggle gimmick will likely get a second wind. We may get a WiiHD at some point, or some value added Wii, but the soonest we can expect the Uus is 2011.

They have in the past released incremental updates on their consoles, and they could do it again. Consider the upgrade from Gameboy -> Gameboy Colour, they released one well in the prime of the other and they could do it again with Wii HD. They don't need to catch up with the Xbox 360/PS3, they just need to bump up the rendering resolution to 720P and support some new interfaces like HDMI and surround sound. So they could easily release something in late 2010 and simply do a slow transition towards the new format. They would not make it much more powerful than the Wii, they don't want developers to immediately cease development on the Wii to focus on the Wii HD.

The XBox 720

Microsoft is in a weird position. It is suceeding more through Sony's blunder's than their own brilliance. They're doing well enough, but still being lapped by the Wii. The PS3's failure has given Microsoft a grace period - there's no way that Sony moves the PS4 to market before they've fixed the PS3 bleeding. No doubt MS wants to be first to market again, but not at the expense of past mistakes - faulty hardware, and being unprepared for the waggle revolution. They are going to respond to the Wii's success and attempt to make a gaming console that draws both casual and core gamers. They will no doubt copy the Wiimote (or Wiimote plus), but won't want to settle for being a copycat. They will want to best Nintendo at their own game and come up with a catchy innovation of their own. They also have to know Sony will not make the same mistakes as last time, and Sony is still too close in weekly sales for MS to assume they have a real advantage next gen. They don't want to release too soon and have Sony "Dreamcast" them. My guess is their original plan was to release in 2011, but may hold off until 2012, which will almost certainly allow them to see most of Nintendo's cards and still likely get a jump on the PS4.

I think Microsoft will aim to have the most powerful console in the next generation. They are supporting two platforms, not one between PC gaming and console gaming and the high end on the PC needs a boost from a console just as much as a console needs the support of PC developers. They are also the only console manufacturer who will be willing to take a loss on a console in the next generation because they have the Live revenue streams and massive cash reserves. Its the last time a console manufacturer could spend himself to victory and I predict they will take advantage of it.

This generation is a base for the next generation for them. Their attempts at the casual market in this generation are as much aimed at the next as it is for this. They are turning Xbox Live into a social network, like how Blizzard works with WoW so they can ensure that when the next console comes around they have a huge stable of people who will "jump in". Between MSN messenger, Live, Netflix and that new gameshow endeaver and the voice communication online they will have a stable pool of 20,000,000 users who will likely buy a Microsoft console next generation above all others.

They are the keystone to the adoption of a single GPGPU standard, so litterally Nvidia, AMD, and Intel and IBM will be beating down their door and offering them hardware on the cheap to achieve that standard. Archicturally they could choose anything from a Cell from IBM, Larrabee from Intel, r9xx from AMD, or GT4xx from Nvidia. From the perspective of achieving this standard they will be pushed to release earlier rather than later so I would pick 20010-2011 as their release dates. They are the kingmakers in the fastest growing field of computing and its going to give them a lot of bargaining power.

The Playstaion Four

Based on Sony's past statements, I assume the PS3 plan was similar to the PSX and PS2 plan - release the console, wait 6 years, release new console and let old console coast for another 3-4 years. That means Sony's plan would have been to release the PS4 in 2012. I'm not sure they can do that. Dropping out early, with a 2011 release, would be a huge risk. They'd be firesaling PS3's, and run a real risk of releasing the next Dreamcast. They need to reestablish their bona fides, and that won't be done by bailing out early. At best, the PS3 will reach mass market price ($199) in 2010, maybe even 2011. They don't want to launch a new console at that point.  Even 2012 could be stepping on the PS3's toes, and Sony really wants to make up the revenue it lost in the early half of the PS3's life. That means letting the PS3 coast for a year or two. However, that's thinking in a vaccuum. While Sony waits, Nintendo and Microsoft will almost surely be getting their consoles out, and that means Sony needs to make the PS4 truly fantastic (from the POV of a typical consumer, not a rabid tech head) or risk getting crowded out of the market fast.  

Sony can't release a next generation console too quickly, they need to consolodate their position and ensure that their 1st party developers are profitable for them before they can move onto another generation or the weight will quickly drag them down.

I just added some thoughts!

Tease.

karimkassis4life5000 said:

^ I was waiting for the 10-year-plan to make an appearance.

I think Sony could be the first to crack and put out a new system. PS3 is doing poorly, and though the company needs to make a profit, it's possible that someone will decide that it's easier to do that with brand-new hardware than with the PS3.

Microsoft will of course have a new system waiting in the wings for when Sony makes this announcement. Unless Sony drops out of the race (unlikely but not impossible).

Nintendo will only release a new system when it has a disruptive new idea and/or when Wii starts to deteriorate.

karimkassis4life5000 said:

They also said the PS2 had a ten year life cycle. Which means they still haven't released the PS3.

Anyone who thinks Sony will be anything but last out of the gate isn't thinking clearly. The PS3 is a system built for a long term approach. Until it goes down to $200, until we see the true potential of the system and see how blu-ray penetrates the market, we will really not know the true sales potential of the system.

I think if Sony plays this right the PS3 could absolutely dominate hardcore gaming at around the time the next X-Box comes along. Microsoft could also sink their brand if they come out with a new system too soon, and try to push people to another expensive system they aren't ready for. 360 users might say to hell with them and go and get a $200 slimmed down PS3.

Wii 2: 2011
720: 2012
PS4: 2014

Around the Network

A new cycle starts, and people don't even look at the cycle before it when making predictions... Okay, first off, Nintendo will not make the first move on kicking the next wave of consoles into the market. Why would they? Until actual competition emerges for the Wii (and it can't from the 360 or PS3), they have no incentive to kill the Wii. Once it does, of course, they'll be in a bit of a tough spot. How long do they ride the Wii's success before killing it? And how long do they let this cycle go before they abort it, like they did the last one?

I think the SNES and Genesis highlight the most likely scenario pretty well, actually. The SNES came out 2 years after the Genesis, you see. How many consoles have release dates spread that far apart these days? Whomever finally brings the first real competitor out against Nintendo is going to get some real market presence, but as with SNES and Genesis, it's highly likely that the incumbent Nintendo is going to dominate anywhere that it's dominating now (which is pretty much everywhere).

As for a specific timeline, this cycle's policy is to add 21 to the equivalent event in the last cycle. So first Wii's first competitor is most likely to emerge in 2010 and the Wii's successor is most likely to emerge in 2012. Who will the competitor be? That's hard to call, but I kind of doubt MS or Sony are going to be significant contenders in the market for a while yet. Not unless they really are willing to sacrifice their "hardcore" appeal, as the cycle doesn't hit the turning point back to those "hardcore" values until about 2016. Funny thing about cycles: they're insanely hard to break even if you know they exist and know what's coming next as a result.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

misterd said:
bigjon said:
Ail said:

With the current economy consumers will want to make their console last longer and the same is true for developers due to higher development costs.
So it's very likely that this gen will last longer than the last gen....

And honestly personally I am not looking forward to upgrading again.
I was very eager to go from the PS2 to the PS3 but I don't see any technological advance I would want on my console aside maybe from more RAM.......( I can't say I feel like PC games are getting so far ahead of console gaming, especially partially due to the fact that high budget PC only titles are slowly becoming rarer and rarer..)

what you said, and to add.

People do not seem to have the thirst for bigger and better as much, and the Wii has proven this. The PS3 has alot of untapped potential, and the 360 has a good userbase that will be profitable for a while.

What makes you think the current economy will still be the current exconomy in 2 years?

From what everyone knows the economy hasn't hit bottom yet( everyone is predicting more job losses in 2009 and probably in 2010 too) and traditionally it takes at least 2 years for the job market to start recovering after the worse of a bad cycle.( the day things get better there suddenly won't be 5 million jobs created...)

People lost 40% of their stock value and between 20 to 30% of their  house value, those two won't be recovered in two years either...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

i think the wii 2 will be releasing sometime soon ... can be in this year too ,i think max by 2011.. hope so ! m eager to see some new hardware ... here r some info on probable release dates & features wii 2 Wii 2 http://techtadka.net/articles/gadget/186-wii-2-release-date-and-features.html PS4 http://techtadka.net/articles/gadget/183-playstation-4-release-date-and-features.html XBox 720 http://techtadka.net/articles/gadget/185-xbox-720-release-date-and-features.html PSP 2 http://techtadka.net/articles/gadget/187-psp-2-release-date-and-features.html hope these are useful

I'm thinkig something something like 2014-2015.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Ahhhh well...
WiiHD/SuperWii/Wii Reality will release when the sales start to dip, will be the first system with VR concept (in the systems later life). Should be announced at E3 2011 and released Christmas 2012

Xbox 3 will be released before the rest of the competition, will be the most powerful and most expensive of all 3, should use Bluray but will also have every game available to DL. Announced at E3 2010, released Christmas 2011

Playstation 4 will be released in 2012/2013 sometime, i think this because i expect PS3 to start selling really well when the pricecut/slimline hits, also with the rise of Bluray. Anyway... PS4 will have Motion gaming with HD, have Bluray and should be BC with every PS game released.