By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Solution: Sell A Cripple Version of the Playstation 3?

twesterm said:
Snake612 said:
I think these people really don't understand the gaming industry.

No, I don't think they understand that PS3 games come on BluRay discs...

My thoughts after the first few lines of that "idea". "No BD drive" pretty much means "no PS3"

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
NJ5 said:

Reading this thread doesn't help my faith in humanity. Why are so many people assuming that Sony wouldn't put PS3 titles up for download if they did this, perhaps even the old ones?

Sure, there are some things to criticize regarding this idea, but let's keep this real. When you get to an incredible conclusion, it often helps to examine your assumptions.

One question, have u downloaded any of the full length games available on PSN right now??? Its time consuming to say the least. And who in their right mind would want a ps3 that cant play any of the games that are on disc?? Do you really think its conceivable for them to place every ps3 title on PSN for download???

Releasing a system that cant play all the games for said system is a joke,  and how many ppl really the have light speed internet speed that would be needed to make downloads worth the time? Everyone on this site has pretty much agreed we are atleast a few years away from being able to go download only for any console. In short its just a stupid idea right now.

docholliday said:
NJ5 said:

Reading this thread doesn't help my faith in humanity. Why are so many people assuming that Sony wouldn't put PS3 titles up for download if they did this, perhaps even the old ones?

Sure, there are some things to criticize regarding this idea, but let's keep this real. When you get to an incredible conclusion, it often helps to examine your assumptions.

One question, have u downloaded any of the full length games available on PSN right now??? Its time consuming to say the least. And who in their right mind would want a ps3 that cant play any of the games that are on disc?? Do you really think its conceivable for them to place every ps3 title on PSN for download???

Releasing a system that cant play all the games for said system is a joke,  and how many ppl really the have light speed internet speed that would be needed to make downloads worth the time? Everyone on this site has pretty much agreed we are atleast a few years away from being able to go download only for any console. In short its just a stupid idea right now.

As I said, there are things to criticize about the idea, but most people are going off the ridiculous assumption that the author is suggesting a PS3 which doesn't play games...

To answer your question, no because I don't own a PS3. I have, however, downloaded Ninja Gaiden Black on the 360 which was a 5-6 GB download. It took me less than an hour which is less time than it would take me to find it at a store. Many people in Europe have at least a 10 Mbit/s connection, and I hear in Japan connections are very good too.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

People are trying to come up with ideas right off the top of their heads. Some people just miss the point of what the problem is.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

well the idea isnt actually that stupid lol basically he wants a system like how the iphone is operating in selling games not a stupid idea but in reality not possible uve seen the size of demos to download imagine whole games it would take ages to download and loads of backing storage to store. so to relases a ps3 net u would need what at least 500gb hard drive so its a pure trade off expensive hard drive or blu ray drive so production costs wouldnt be that much reduced. other issues is putting the games on the network we have seen bugs with titles like gt5 prologue going on the network. also a net device limits ur market since not everyone has a massive braodband speed. so it does seem a bit far off in reality but nice theory

Around the Network

@mr_gappy: It would have the potential to sell to people with internet connections. And the "regular" PS3 would have the potential to sell to everyone else. Since it would be made only profit purposes in mind, i can't see the problem everyone seems to be having. Sony could even go to a bigger design changes and save more costs if it would need to be online only platform.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

At first it sounded like a bad idea, but after thinkink for a while it doesn't necessarily sound all that bad. Of course Sony would need to release a Blu-ray player for the PS3 in case anyone wanted to upgrade. Oh, and it would be a good idea to provide more games in downloadable form as well in addition to the BD version.

Not feasible, some PS3s can play Resistance 2 and MGS4 and some can't?

Snake612 said:
Phoenix_Wiight said:
Snake612 said:
@Phoenix_Wright, what model did you buy?

40 gig

Well, I bought the 80gb last November and it plays Psone and PS2 games. The model you bought doesn't have BC. I thinking only the 80gb has BC.

It works with PSone games. My friend tried it on his and it worked. PS2 games would not work on it though.

I just don't think it would work. I pay $30.00 a month for a 512 k internet connection. The fastest you can get from my internet service provider is a 3 gig connection for $70.00 a month, so it would still take a long time to download a 20 gig file with that.

Heavens to Murgatoids.