By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unbelievable.... I just have to comment

@Jo21: Your Wii example at the first page was pretty dumb, since unless you DL stuff from the Shop Channel, you're unlikely to fill up the internal memory, which isn't the case with PS3:s mandatory installs. What the OP is about is, that PS3 is the only one of the three that lacks storage space offline.

@Squiliam: Met your destiny this morning?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

Just like on the Wii with the Wiiware games. It's just bad design, and there is no excuse for a 512mb storage.

bdbdbd said:
@Jo21: Your Wii example at the first page was pretty dumb, since unless you DL stuff from the Shop Channel, you're unlikely to fill up the internal memory, which isn't the case with PS3:s mandatory installs. What the OP is about is, that PS3 is the only one of the three that lacks storage space offline.

@Squiliam: Met your destiny this morning?

Yes, luckily I live in an open world that lets me do things out of order.

Tease.

it's true that Wii 512MB is low for WiiWare games, but come on, buying a 2Gb SD card is just 10$ on ebay and it's so simple to use, and you will never run out of space

but Ps3 HDD fills up so fast, and upgrading is mush more expensive than buying an SD card and is not as easy as inserting the SD card on Wii!!

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

dark_gh0st_b0y said:

it's true that Wii 512MB is low for WiiWare games, but come on, buying a 2Gb SD card is just 10$ on ebay and it's so simple to use, and you will never run out of space

but Ps3 HDD fills up so fast, and upgrading is mush more expensive than buying an SD card and is not as easy as inserting the SD card on Wii!!

Do you see any of the irony in your post ? at all ?

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network

Yes, it's a sucky limitation.

On the other hand, PS3 is the only current-gen system which allows the user to upgrade the main storage with whatever size drive they wish. It can be done by the user with any SATA drive. One of the platform's cooler features, along with being region-free.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

DOATS1 said:
mrstickball said:
To defend the Playstation....It's kind of always been that way, given memory card spaces on consoles. If you had too many blocks taken up by saves...You may have to delete old saves due to room (of course, you could always just get a new card too - not an easy option with the PS3 AFIAK).

However, I do agree that, in this day and age, no gamers should choose between saves.

replacing/increasing the hdd in your ps3 is piss easy, actually.

when you delete the install, the game saves still remain. they don't go with the install, so you're not 'choosing' between anything. 

the 40gb ps3 can hold up to about 5-6 game installs at once. there is no chance in hell somebody is playing that many games at once. so deleting a game that you don't need/play anymore shouldn't be a problem.

ps3 owners have had to put up with installs for 2 years now, it hasn't caused any major problems for them now has it?

i find it highly amusing that people are still using installs as a majore problem. just let it go.

Flow said:
Neither R2 or CoDWaW demanded a install, so maybe newer games are cutting this crap... About time, i say...

r2 does require an install, about 300mb. but insomniac call it an 'initial setup'.

no way someone is playing more than 5-6 games at once... gee i feel like an anomaly now.  generally at least 4 are in a daily rotation, but i like to pop in a few older game from this gen to do cool stuff and then when my friends come over there are a set of other games i havejust to play with them, in a 3 day period i could and have been as high as 20 of my games getting some god play time, on average about 8 in a 24 hour period get a spin... (out side of the launch of a game i love, and that game will spin for about 2-3 days till i beat it... with only 2 o 3 others being used when friends pop buy if its single player only game).

I like the idea of optional installs, but madatory ones are a pain. I see his point, and its a fairly just one. there is something to be said for something that takes 30 seconds to do, or adds 10 secs to load times, vs something that 5-6 minutes and has to be repeated, without an opt out option. 

as for the wii, i ma begaining to wonder about when they will allow larger cards then 2 gb to be used that sems like an awful low cap.

360... why did you go backwads and do this no hd unit? and why use the smaller form factor hd? and why did you make it a pain to upgrade it? ...oh wait money well then if you want our money that bad release hds large enough to hold all our games on them at once  and ill consider paying the 80 dollar premium over retail to own your hd 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

This OP is such a failure...

Many games don't require install
Many games require small install
Some games require up to 4go of space

Trust me, you would have to choose your games very carefully to be able to fill your hard drive with game installs.
And even if that happens, which is highly improbable, if there's a game you play from times to times (let's say once a month...), there's little chance you choose to uninstall this one. If there's a game you play once a year, I think one can handle the install time.
And If you really can't handle it, you buy a new big hard drive and stop boring us with your childish rant.

I shouldn't even answer such stupid threads...

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

To defend all three manufacturers ...

Almost all console design decisions are made months/years before a videogame developer eve sees your hardware, and it is likely that you will have a few situations where the console designers didn't anticipate how something was going to be used. On top of this many marketing (or other) departments will come up with features or services and not discuss these with the hardware design team, or to ignore their concerns about these services.

I agree, it is lame. I don't understand why Sony couldn't just give us bigger hard drives in the first place. But I've noticed a decrease in mandatory installs recently, I think Far Cry 2 is the last "big" release to have one.