By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unbelievable.... I just have to comment

I've got a 40 gig, 12 games and a bunch of PSN games, and some music and I haven't had to delete anything other than all the demos I've DLed, and I still have about 4 of those....so...what's the big deal?

My wii on the otherhand is filled to the brim, and I don't really want to buy anything else until I can stream games off of my SD card, it just seems like a pain.

This really isn't anything new seeing as how it's been around since the what? PS1 days? Memory cards get full, and you have to choose what to save and what to delete. Ever since cartridges went the way of the dinosaur storage problems have been around.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

@Vagabond, I agree in full man :P And it's not like you have to delete save data that y'know, you could use some day. You simply delete install data, which can be easily installed again. I have no idea what the big fuss is :/

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

well i have a 40gb and have over 15gb free =D

ymeaga1n said:
DMeisterJ said:
I have an 80 Gig PS3. Have MGS4 installed *4.4* R2 (300 mb) LBP (200 mb) TFU (three gigs?) Fifteen demos, 3 PS1 games, 2 episodes of Qore Home *3 GB* and still have 41 gigabytes of memory left.

I own 5 games.

Really, unless you play ten or twenty games concurrently, it's no problem at all.

And yes you are trolling, installs have been here since January and just now you decide it's a huge deal.

Stop failing.

LOL. What happens if you have a 40 gb PS3?

Stop failing DMJ.

If you have a 40 gig PS3, you delete one of the fifteen demos you have downloaded. 

This is hardly a problem unless you like Demos a lot.

DMeisterJ said:
ymeaga1n said:
DMeisterJ said:
I have an 80 Gig PS3. Have MGS4 installed *4.4* R2 (300 mb) LBP (200 mb) TFU (three gigs?) Fifteen demos, 3 PS1 games, 2 episodes of Qore Home *3 GB* and still have 41 gigabytes of memory left.

I own 5 games.

Really, unless you play ten or twenty games concurrently, it's no problem at all.

And yes you are trolling, installs have been here since January and just now you decide it's a huge deal.

Stop failing.

LOL. What happens if you have a 40 gb PS3?

Stop failing DMJ.

If you have a 40 gig PS3, you delete one of the fifteen demos you have downloaded. 

This is hardly a problem unless you like Demos a lot.

The thing is the guy doesn't even have a ps3 so the whole thread is based of false assumptions.

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network

@Chronotrigger: Streaming has only big problem, which is it using a lot of disc space (and you really can't run any programs by streaming data).

You know, removing the data you don't need, is the best solution to all of the storage space issues. It can be annoying as hell sometimes, but it's the best solution there is. Wise words you had there.

@Vagabond: That's true and the reason why i've always hated discs and memory cards. Internal storage is somekind of an improvement to the problem, but not an "ultimate solution".

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

@ Fumanchu: For one, you can't expect all of the commonly used assets at the outer edges of a DVD... unless the game is incredible small. For two, mandatory install on multi-plat games doesn't prove that the bluray drive is slow, it shows that the game was ported over, and the harddrive was taken advantage of so that the programmers wouldn't have to actually put work into the port. Try looking at exclusive games, if they all needed installs then maybe it would mean the drive is slow, but they don't. And for three,

"2x Blu-ray Drive (72Mbps(9MB/s))
Single Layer (2x CLV) - Constant Linear Velocity (Same speed across entire disk)
Double Layer - Couldn't find any data but no games have been released on a double layer yet.

Entire Blu-ray Disk is read at 9MB/s.

12x DVD-Rom Drive SL (9.25MB/S-15.85MB/s(AVG ~8x(10.57MB/s) DL (4.36MB/s-10.57MB/s(AVG ~6x(7.93MB/s)
SL(DVD-5) 12x Max (5-12x Full CAV) - Constant Angular Velocity (Speed Varies from edge to edge)
DL(DVD-9) 8x Max (3.3-8x Full CAV) - Constant Angular Velocity (Speed Varies from edge to edge)

SL DVD is 1.57MB/s > SL Blu-ray
DL DVD is 1.07MB/s
Majority of 360 games are on DVD-9."
this come from here: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=42157

To sum that up, yes the 360 has a 12x drive, but most games need the dual layer space in a DVD-9, which runs at a max of only 8x which goes from 4.36MB/s to 10.57MB/s. The max speed still beats the max of 2x bluray, which is 9MB/s, but comparably, the bluray is by NO means slow.

@bdbdbd: See above regarding the drive speeds...

bdbdbd said:
@Chronotrigger: Streaming has only big problem, which is it using a lot of disc space (and you really can't run any programs by streaming data).

You know, removing the data you don't need, is the best solution to all of the storage space issues. It can be annoying as hell sometimes, but it's the best solution there is. Wise words you had there.

@Vagabond: That's true and the reason why i've always hated discs and memory cards. Internal storage is somekind of an improvement to the problem, but not an "ultimate solution".

my desktop PC is from 2004 2.53ghz 512mb and i can stream and run many programs at once, streaming its hardly  a problem.

u can also buy a new HDD they are cheap you can get 320gb for less than 100$

Feylic said:
@ Fumanchu: For one, you can't expect all of the commonly used assets at the outer edges of a DVD... unless the game is incredible small. For two, mandatory install on multi-plat games doesn't prove that the bluray drive is slow, it shows that the game was ported over, and the harddrive was taken advantage of so that the programmers wouldn't have to actually put work into the port. Try looking at exclusive games, if they all needed installs then maybe it would mean the drive is slow, but they don't. And for three,

"2x Blu-ray Drive (72Mbps(9MB/s))
Single Layer (2x CLV) - Constant Linear Velocity (Same speed across entire disk)
Double Layer - Couldn't find any data but no games have been released on a double layer yet.

Entire Blu-ray Disk is read at 9MB/s.

12x DVD-Rom Drive SL (9.25MB/S-15.85MB/s(AVG ~8x(10.57MB/s) DL (4.36MB/s-10.57MB/s(AVG ~6x(7.93MB/s)
SL(DVD-5) 12x Max (5-12x Full CAV) - Constant Angular Velocity (Speed Varies from edge to edge)
DL(DVD-9) 8x Max (3.3-8x Full CAV) - Constant Angular Velocity (Speed Varies from edge to edge)

SL DVD is 1.57MB/s > SL Blu-ray
DL DVD is 1.07MB/s < SL Blu-ray

Majority of 360 games are on DVD-9."
this come from here: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=42157

To sum that up, yes the 360 has a 12x drive, but most games need the dual layer space in a DVD-9, which runs at a max of only 8x which goes from 4.36MB/s to 10.57MB/s. The max speed still beats the max of 2x bluray, which is 9MB/s, but comparably, the bluray is by NO means slow.

@bdbdbd: See above regarding the drive speeds...

Metal gear solid 4 has :p

EDIT: yay i got post number 100 in the thread.. gimme da cookie.. Now !

Check out my game about moles ^

@Feylic: Yes, i'm aware about the speeds.

@Jo21: Content that is streamed, isn't an executable.

Yes, i can buy an HDD and i also can buy a server with terabytes of storage space, but that's hardly a solution. It would equal for you to tell a fat guy to shit more often for not to gain more weight.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.