By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - "The PS3 can't sell software" WKC

irstupid said:
well that was a bit exagerated, but how many games so far have we seen on hd consoles see a big drop after first week. Metal gear did i remember

It wasn't really that exaggerated. Games typically do see around an 80% dropoff from their opening week in Japan. It sounded like there may have been supply problems on WKC, though, so if there were and they sorted it out in time for the second week, it may hold up better.

Still, 212k first week to ~50k second week would be pretty typical.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
irstupid said:
well that was a bit exagerated, but how many games so far have we seen on hd consoles see a big drop after first week. Metal gear did i remember

It wasn't really that exaggerated. Games typically do see around an 80% dropoff from their opening week in Japan. It sounded like there may have been supply problems on WKC, though, so if there were and they sorted it out in time for the second week, it may hold up better.

Still, 212k first week to ~50k second week would be pretty typical.

yea but also christmas is over so i don't know how big the people going out buying games will be after spending money on presents.  And yes i know giftcards.  But how many big games were released this holiday and are out that this game has to compete with for only getting a mediocre at best score from famitsu.

i don't know i just feel the amount it got in the week that this preview is. How the typical drop has been for big sales first week numbers on hd systems for me not to start throwing a parade for it just yet.

I essentially made the same argument. Apparently now people are sticking their tails between their legs now that the dumb-ass argument to begin with is over.

WKC outsold every 360 JRPG in JP in 3 days. Userbase doesn't matter to overall sales, as we can see by PS3 games outselling 360 games (multiplat), and 360 games outselling Wii games(multiplat). It's about demographics, so that argument is a failure.

@badgegnome

Do you think the FF,KH, DQ franchises sell more because of their creators? I dont think so. IU, LR, Saga franchises all sold poorly. IU and LR more recently showed that SE does not get a free pass simply because they are SE. If the game sucks, it wont sell(for the most part).

This means that those franchises sell because of something far greater then who created them. Maybe if RPG developers stepped their game up to SE quality(mostly the SquareSoft Side of old, they were great!) they would do much better.

And while SE holds rights to the 1mill+ seller RPGs of the PS2, there are some RPGs that have found success outside the PS2 and did the same. Pokemon, Tales of Symphonia, etc sold more then a mill.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

WKC isn't impressive in Japan if you look at some of the opening weeks for 360 JRPG's. 860k vs. 2.46m is a pretty big gap.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
I essentially made the same argument. Apparently now people are sticking their tails between their legs now that the dumb-ass argument to begin with is over.

WKC outsold every 360 JRPG in JP in 3 days. Userbase doesn't matter to overall sales, as we can see by PS3 games outselling 360 games (multiplat), and 360 games outselling Wii games(multiplat). It's about demographics, so that argument is a failure.

Not really. Userbase and demographics go hand in hand. I'm sure there are some differences between them (I gather that the Japanese 360 owner tends to be more of an otaku), but the PS3 and 360 probably capture a similar demographic since so much of their libraries is shared. Assuming they do, and given that the PS3 outnumbers the 360 3:1, the size of the userbase would matter a lot.

Dont bother, when it comes to the hardcore 360 fan(BOYS) they'll admit nothing positive about the PS3 so just ignore them blaze its actually quite easy. :P

forevercloud3000 said:
@badgegnome

Do you think the FF,KH, DQ franchises sell more because of their creators? I dont think so. IU, LR, Saga franchises all sold poorly. IU and LR more recently showed that SE does not get a free pass simply because they are SE. If the game sucks, it wont sell(for the most part).

This means that those franchises sell because of something far greater then who created them. Maybe if RPG developers stepped their game up to SE quality(mostly the SquareSoft Side of old, they were great!) they would do much better.

And while SE holds rights to the 1mill+ seller RPGs of the PS2, there are some RPGs that have found success outside the PS2 and did the same. Pokemon, Tales of Symphonia, etc sold more then a mill.

LOL, badge gnome... it's bad genome.

I don't really know what you're banging on about re: Square-Enix getting a free pass. You seem to have missed my point entirely, which was that JRPGs typically don't break a million (I believe I used those exact words, in fact). Yes, there are exceptions- that is why I said typically.

You seem to have strange ideas about what "selling poorly" is for a JRPG. I'd say that SaGa hasn't sold poorly at all, seeing that it's one of the rare series that's frequently cracked this rather arbitrary milestone of one million.

Lurker said:
WKC isn't impressive in Japan if you look at some of the opening weeks for 360 JRPG's. 860k vs. 2.46m is a pretty big gap.

Multiplat games PES - 26:1 in favor of Ps3

Obviously the people who bought the 360 games also have the Ps3. If these games were multiplat then what would you say?

@badgenome

LOL I totally butchered that name. When looked at quickly it looks like you were going for some form of the term "Badger Gnome" like the woodland mythical creature, my mistake.

And I know many JRPGs do not break a million but KH, FF, DQ,Pokemon, Megaman BN,Tales of, etc do break a million frequently. So it is not like it is impossible for it to. I mean, In general majority of games do not break 1million mark, that is mostly because of saturation and lack of quality. RPGs were a dime a dozen, many companies trying to cash in on what was made extremely popular by companies like Square. Same thing for FPS.

What I am saying is that most JRPGs don't break a million because they SUCK, or to a lesser extent are not different enough from one another.

I am saying WKC is looking(from first appearance with these numbers) that it will be the first RPG of this gen to actually break 1million, or at least be much closer to it then it's 360 counterparts. All Speculation of course.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)