By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Retail sales plummet, electronics down 27%

Video games are shown. Consoles and Handheld sales would be filed under electronics.

The only difference is that TVs sell for $1000 and a console sell for $300 ... so you would need to sell 3-4 consoles to make up for 1 TV.

In addition, massive discounting by retailers also lead to the large decline in sales.

Around the Network

gnawkz - Problem is, that decrease is comparable to other times of the year, when electronics are massively discounted them.

IMO, it's a great thing electronic sales are down in the US. The insane amount of addictive consumption by Americans decreased. Americans NEED to spend less on useless junk that adds to their debt.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I want to see a figure on how much gift cards sales increased this year. That obviously offsets a number of these declines by a considerable margin.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Items over 1000 dollars are "luxury" items, and HDTVs sell the PS3 as good as any game, thus, this recession is hurting the PS3's expansion into the market at a vital time.

Because every HD TV is over 1000 dollars,

I bought a SONY BRAVIA 32" 720p LCD HD TV yesterday for $549.99

mM
leo-j said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Items over 1000 dollars are "luxury" items, and HDTVs sell the PS3 as good as any game, thus, this recession is hurting the PS3's expansion into the market at a vital time.

$550? How can a 15-year-old have so much money?

Around the Network

fuck this cant be good

I bought a 67 inch Samsung tV 4 weeks ago.

WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT FROM ME STATS?

Price cutting by Microsoft and Sony, from 12 months ago, has likely contributed to the decline in the value of retail sales, despite the fact that the volume of consoles sold has increased.

I'm not knowledgable enough about the various prices of those two systems in the US, then and now, to work out whether the price cuts have had a positive or negative effect on sales, although I would assume it's been negative.

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 
Slimebeast said:
leo-j said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

He's 16 now, ya know.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Slimebeast said:
leo-j said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

He's 16 now, ya know.

Does that mean he can buy beer?

Tease.